Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've just recently become familiar with DIY vit. C serum, thanks mostly to the wonderful info on this site. I absolutely love the idea of being able to make my own - don't know why it never occurred to me before!

I've ordered all the ingredients to make one of the serum formulations posted here (ultra-fine L-ascorbic acid, ferulic acid, sea kelp bioferment, glycerin and vitamin E oil). Thank you to those who provided the links of where to purchase the products! I can't wait to get started, but I have several questions, and I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

I've read that the ferulic acid will only partially dissolve in water, so it's recommended to use vodka to dissolve it. But I am really not comfortable purchasing liquor, so is there something else I could use to dissolve the ferulic acid? This may be a dumb question, but could I use rubbing alcohol? And if I could use that to dissolve it, would it be safe to put on my face? Or what about heating the water to dissolve the ferulic acid? Would that help it be more soluble, or would heat degrade the effectiveness of the ferulic acid? Wow, those were a lot of questions within a question...lol...sorry!

And yet more questions! I plan to start out using glycerin as the recipe calls for, but I've read that some people don't like the feel of it and substitute things like rosehip seed oil or even aloe vera instead of the glycerin. But I've read that the glycerin makes the vit. C more stable. Is glycerin the ideal thing to use for stability, and would it be less stable if I were to use something else in place of it?

And lastly, I've read a lot about the exfoliating effect of the C serum, which is a good thing, but I'm hoping to use it twice a day, everyday. Would that much exfoliation be hard on the skin over time? I also read that if you skip the wait time between applying the vit. C serum and applying a moisturizer, that you would still get the benefits of the vitamin C, but minus the exfoliation. So if I'm concerned about over-exfoliating, is it correct that I could just apply a moisturizer and sunscreen immediately after applying the serum? But if I did that, would the vitamin c be able to fully absorb into the skin?

As you can see, I've been putting a lot of thought into this...probably too much...lol! I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm completely new to all this. I'm very grateful for any advice all of you experienced DIY'ers can give me!

Thank you so much!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Allie, You really have given it some thought! I hope I can give you some of the answers you're looking for.

1) Yes, you could use isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol (90-100%) in place of ethanol/vodka. The trick, I found, is to dissolve the ferulic in the alcohol first since it takes so long to dissolve. Then the C, which if you use UltraFine, dissolves instantly.This recipe includes it:

C+E+Ferulic recipes for DIY skin care

2) I don't think it's the glycerin, but the vitamin E and ferulic, that make the serum stable. I don't use glycerin in mine. I use hyaluronic acid and sea kelp bioferment and still get a good smooth serum. Glycerin is a humectant and draws moisture to the skin, but you can leave it out. Adding rosehip seed oil is OK, but it makes the serum yellow and then you can't watch to make sure it doesn't oxidize(turn yellow with age). If you use it up in a hurry it would be OK I think. If you use SKB you don't need aloe vera.

3) If you don't care about the exfoliation effect of the serum, sure you COULD use it twice a day and skip the 20-60 min wait time after applying it. But the C stays in the cells of the skin for up to 72 hours if properly applied, so you wouldn't NEED to. The skin can only absorb so much C. I don't know how long it takes to absorb into the skin, so I would wait anyway. Here is some info that might be helpful to you and answer questions that might come up:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum....php?tid=18360

Really, recipes just kind of evolve, so as long as you have the basics, you can tinker with it. There are some things that just don't combine though, so the simpler you keep it the better: C+E+ferulic is the 1-2-3 punch. If you want to add other actives, best to make a separate serum and use it afterward so as not to muck it up too much. Keep it simple. This is what Kassy says over and over.

Hope this helps you a little! Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Do you use retin-a (tretinoin)? If not, I'd use it at night and just use the C serum once a day in the morning. Best one two punch out there after a quality sunscreen.

Witch hazel or butylene glycol could substitute for Vodka.

If your using Kassys current recipe, it calls for no glycerin.

As far as wait times, I'd do as Fawnie suggested. I personally use a cleanser with a 5.0 ph so I dont have to wait before applying my serum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much...that answered all my questions! And thank you, Fawnie, for the links!

After your explanation, I see why I wouldn't need to apply the c serum twice a day. I guess I was a little over-enthusiastic...lol I'll just apply it in the morning and stick with the wait time.

Periwinkle, I don't use retin-a, but I've been reading such good things about it, and I'm thinking I really should include it in my regimen. I'm in my late 20s and my skin is in good shape, but I believe in prevention!

Again, thank you both. I really appreciate your help!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Allie
Glad to help a DIYer!
If you are in your 20s, you don't need RA. Just a C serum and a good sunscreen with the ingredients Tinosorb or Mexoryl to stabilize it is the good protection you need now. I believe Lancome has Mexoryl in it. Look for a broad spectrum one and apply it every day!

This might interest you:
Skin care in your twenties

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Fawnie wonder if you can help me on the sunscreen. I'm sure I read that you like La Roche Posy and Avene sunscreen products. I've looked at those products and I'm a little confused. I always use a sunscreen but I use the ones that you use under make up/alone such as Dermalogica, but when I looked at the other 2 brands it seems that they are the sort that you use if you are actuully sunbathing. Sorry for being a bit dim but with the vitamion c serum do you need to use a " full on" suncreen as though you were going to the beach? and if so aren't they a bit sticky etc and difficult to use under make up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Allie
Glad to help a DIYer!
If you are in your 20s, you don't need RA. Just a C serum and a good sunscreen with the ingredients Tinosorb or Mexoryl to stabilize it is the good protection you need now. I believe Lancome has Mexoryl in it. Look for a broad spectrum one and apply it every day!

This might interest you:
Thank you so much for the info! I'll definitely be checking into the sunscreen you recommended. And thanks for the link...it was very informative. I'm learning so much here. You all really are a wealth of information.

Periwinkle: Thank you for the PM. I'm not able to reply to PM's yet, but I just wanted to say thanks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Fawnie wonder if you can help me on the sunscreen. I'm sure I read that you like La Roche Posy and Avene sunscreen products. I've looked at those products and I'm a little confused. I always use a sunscreen but I use the ones that you use under make up/alone such as Dermalogica, but when I looked at the other 2 brands it seems that they are the sort that you use if you are actuully sunbathing. Sorry for being a bit dim but with the vitamion c serum do you need to use a " full on" suncreen as though you were going to the beach? and if so aren't they a bit sticky etc and difficult to use under make up?
Hi Ely
My favorite SS now is Bioderma Photoderm MAX fluide 50+
Bioderma Photoderm Max FLUIDE -- Best Sunscreen Protection, UVA Protection, CHEAPEST PRICES ANYWHERE IN THE U.S.!
It isn't sticky at all.
It really is lightweight enough to use under foundation and it's powerful enough to wear outdoors all day. Pricey but worth it when you realize sun protection is the best thing you can do for your skin.

Lancome has a SS with Mexoryl, but that line uses so much fragrance that I usually avoid it. Still, it's easily found in USA.
Avene Emulsion is good, but kinda whitish. It does absorb after a little bit, so not so bad.
I don't like LRP Anthelios at all - way too sticky!
Hope this is a help!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Fawnie

Yes that's really helpful, thanks so much.So I guess we are all walking around as though we're going to the beach
!! My stuff for the vitamin C hasn't even arrived yet but already as soon as I've had one question answered there's another one lurking around in my head! I was wondering if using the vtamin c serum ( I'm going to try the green cream but I want to take it slowly and not introduce to many new products to my skin at once) would affect the skin on the rest of your body in terms of exposure to sun? I ask this because many years ago I went to a dermatologist when I had zits and he prescribed Ruaccutane...not sure if that is spelt right
and he told me not to go in the sun but he wasn't very specific about it and I did sunbathe at some point...ended up with pigmentation problems on my face, which thankfully I got rid of using a product called Environ, but and here's the thing ..I'm fairly dark skinned...in the old days of sunbathing i'd tan easily...( those were the days!) but...and maybe I'm imagining things...the bottom half of my legs have never been the same since...they are always white and if I ever do decide to get a little sun on my body,they stay white( I never ever let my face get any sun! and I can't tell you the strange looks that I get from the Italian's on the beach when I'm there under the umbrella with hat and glasses at 5pm.One lady asked my husband if I was alright!).I'm convinced that the pills did this to my legs...so I'm wondering if you need not only to keep your face out of the sun but your body too?
Whilst I'm at it how about waxing?....I wax my upperlip, will it be ok to continue?
Thanks so much...I'm loving this site

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry. just one more question
It's now 30 degrees and counting in Italy. When you are using these products ( vit C and or retinol) Do you think that it is necessary to wear a hat even when you're just out and about, as well as using the SS.

Ok that's me done for the day....definitely had more than my fair share of questions

Thanks so much

·
Registered
98 Posts
hmm,
apparently I can't post links yet to other sites but I think I've found 2 sites one UK and one International where the Bioderma product costs £9.12 and $14.34 respectively. the packaging is slightly different to the one Fawnie has mentioned but the blurp is the same....but I can't tell you guys...is there a way I can pass this info onto you?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hey Ely iv gotta get bk to work but just thought id point out and of course its up to you ibut if you are wanna start shipping stuff over can i just point out that you also have to include tax and duty fees in these prices, personally now i try to stick to products i can purchasee here in the Uk,hope you find something that works for you though!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi IuvNY
Thanks for taking time and the tip,but not sure I'm following you. The stuff that I ordered from the US had hefty delivery fees on top. Please don't tell me that I'm going to have to cough up more money when it arrives!! I'm having it delivered to London because although I live in Italy I'm back and forth a lot,and my credit cards are registered in the UK.The site that I found for the Bioderma is a French site with 2 different web addresses...hmm wonder if I can get away with writing the name Leguidesante. Th delivery fees seemed fairly reasonable, it's cost me more to get a day pass for the tube!! Anyway if you have the time please could you tell me if I have to fork out more money!!!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
hey ely all I know is if you order stuff from the US to anywhere in europe you will have to pay tax and duty fees ontop of the shipping order!

As far as ordering stuff within europe Idont know if you pay anything else apart from the shipping fees, all i know is that when i order stuff from the US i get someone now from work to bring this over with them on the plane otherwise i do a google search and buy whatever i can either online in the Uk or go out to somewhere like boots and purchase the item for myself!

You could always contact the site that you are shipping stuff find out exactly how much shipping fees etc will be, but personally with the pound being so weak at the mo i cant afford to ship stuff at all, i have to save all the money i can at the mo!

Hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Sorry. just one more question
It's now 30 degrees and counting in Italy. When you are using these products ( vit C and or retinol) Do you think that it is necessary to wear a hat even when you're just out and about, as well as using the SS.

Ok that's me done for the day....definitely had more than my fair share of questions

Thanks so much
Wear a quality sunscreen everyday period. Regardless of time of year, weather, etc.
UV rays take no naps.

Except at night.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Fawnie

Yes that's really helpful, thanks so much.So I guess we are all walking around as though we're going to the beach
!! My stuff for the vitamin C hasn't even arrived yet but already as soon as I've had one question answered there's another one lurking around in my head! I was wondering if using the vtamin c serum ( I'm going to try the green cream but I want to take it slowly and not introduce to many new products to my skin at once) would affect the skin on the rest of your body in terms of exposure to sun? I ask this because many years ago I went to a dermatologist when I had zits and he prescribed Ruaccutane...not sure if that is spelt right
and he told me not to go in the sun but he wasn't very specific about it and I did sunbathe at some point...ended up with pigmentation problems on my face, which thankfully I got rid of using a product called Environ, but and here's the thing ..I'm fairly dark skinned...in the old days of sunbathing i'd tan easily...( those were the days!) but...and maybe I'm imagining things...the bottom half of my legs have never been the same since...they are always white and if I ever do decide to get a little sun on my body,they stay white( I never ever let my face get any sun! and I can't tell you the strange looks that I get from the Italian's on the beach when I'm there under the umbrella with hat and glasses at 5pm.One lady asked my husband if I was alright!).I'm convinced that the pills did this to my legs...so I'm wondering if you need not only to keep your face out of the sun but your body too?
Whilst I'm at it how about waxing?....I wax my upperlip, will it be ok to continue?
Thanks so much...I'm loving this site
Ely
Most ppl lay off the RA or green cream a day before waxing. I use an Epi-Care
Original Authentic Epicare and Bellabe Facial Hair Removing Threader, Facial Hair Removal, Facial Hair Remover, Threading, Threading Hair, Threading Hair Removal,
instead as it doesn't harm the skin like the waxing does for me.

Haha - I think everyone has the same problem with the white lower legs! I do too and I don't know why! I just wear sunscreen and apply self-tanner. I wear sunscreen all over every day of my life. Melanoma can show up anywhere and even where the sun doesn't shine. Why take a chance by giving it an opportunity? Stiletto con carne will agree!!

Yes, Leguidesante is a fab site for Euro girls, but the S&H kills it for me! I just use skincarecentral.biz and suck it up and pay the higher price. Is this wrong? I love Bioderma Photoderm MAX 50+ fluide. Tiny bottles though...

As far as the C serum affecting the skin on your body. It can be used all over the body. It's so cheap to make, why not get the benefit? It has an spf of around 8, so you still need an additional SS, but it makes your skin nice!

Please ask any questions that may come up. We will try to answer them as best as we can!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the info IluvNY, I've already done it, so much for being impulsive..I'm going to have to pay up, you live and learn

Fawnie, once again thanks so much for being so helpful, you really are a mine of information
Perinwinkle, thanks for the pm, the name is in the message
but apparently it's no use to you guys across the pond...too expensive, as I'm about to learn

Have a wonderful weekend everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and very interested in DIY vit. C serum. I have following questions while searching on the web to buy the ingredients.

1. Is there a place where I can order all the ingredients?

2. Where do you order Ferulic Acid? I can't find it at gardenofwisdom or anywhere else.

3. About quantity. How many oz of vit. C serum can 1 oz of L-Ascorbic Acid make?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and very interested in DIY vit. C serum. I have following questions while searching on the web to buy the ingredients.

1. Is there a place where I can order all the ingredients?

2. Where do you order Ferulic Acid? I can't find it at gardenofwisdom or anywhere else.

3. About quantity. How many oz of vit. C serum can 1 oz of L-Ascorbic Acid make?

Thank you very much in advance.
Welcome.

1. I wish there were such a place. Would help with shipping for sure.

2. I buy my FA from here http://www.skinactives.com/product/d...aspx?prodID=41

3. If your using Kassys recipe, it comes out to about 6.2 (1 oz. bottles) per ounce of ascorbic acid. I'm not great at math though. Just buy more than 1 oz.

This ascorbic acid is really nice and dissolves well. No grit that many powders have.
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/ascorbi...ultrafine.html

Wow lotioncrafter has updated their site. Looks nice.

Sea Kelp Bioferment can be bought from skinactives and www.ncnproskincare.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All my supplies arrived yesterday, and I thought I'd give an update on how my first attempt at making C serum went.

It was so easy! It really didn't take much time at all. The consistency was perfect. It was smooth, easy to apply, absorbed quickly, and didn't leave any residue. The PH ended up being closer to 2 than 2.5, but I guess that's OK.

Kassy, if you see this, thank you SO MUCH for sharing your wonderful formulations with all of us!!!

I decided to go with a recipe that didn't use glycerin. I went with this recipe of Kassy's......

- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka

......but I made a few changes. I used isopropyl alcohol in place of vodka to dissolve the ferulic acid, and it seemed to work OK. There were a few tiny particles that didn't completely dissolve, but I think if I had stirred it longer, it might have fully dissolved (I think I was in too much of a hurry when mixing everything. I felt like I had to get it in the bottle with the top on and in the fridge as soon as possible). I think next time I'm going to try witch hazel in place of the alcohol. I didn't care for the alcohol smell.

I also reduced the amount of L-ascorbic to 1/2 tsp. which made it about 7.5%. I was afraid starting out at 15% might be too strong for me, and I wanted to work up slowly. I think I cut back a little too much, though. It didn't even tingle. I probable should have tried 2/3 tsp.which would have made it about 10%, or maybe even 3/4 tsp. which would have been about 12%. Next time I think I'll go right for the 15% and see how it feels.

I have a question for those who use 15%. Is it OK to use around the eye area, or is it too strong for that?

I totally agree with everyone's recommendation to use the UltraFine L-ascorbic acid! It dissolved almost instantly. Definitely the way to go!

I didn't use hyaluronic acid in the serum because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for my first try. Now that I've gotten my feet wet with this, I'm going to add the HA next time.

Thanks for all your help so far, guys! I absolutely LOVE DIY! Next I'm going to try making my own ACV toner. And I like the idea of adding actives to a base cream to make a super-charged body lotion! I'll have to do some checking into that.
The wheels are turning! I can definitely see this becoming an addicting hobby!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts