Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Freddy,

Please come back to the forums. I have a question to ask you about exercise.

thanks,
V

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes Freddy come back please! There is a decided lack of testosterone around here lately and we are not pleased about it!

V- I enjoyed your article about Avoiding Poverty including the picture of the homeless man with his sign! You gave such good advice and all true! And also enjoyed seeing your lovely smiling face!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. Freddy's back. I was wondering if you have any advice for a beginner who's starting a workout routine? I've been working out for a few weeks now and have lost a few pounds.

But I want to kick it up a notch and start doing Tae Bo five days a week (except Sunday and Wednesday). Is that okay?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If I were you, I'd look for something that would help in putting on muscle. The problem that many people have (specially women) is that they focus too much on cardio programs (i.e. doing spinning classes, jogging, and kick boxing) while neglecting something that will help them put on muscle.

The beauty of weightlifting for example, is that for each pound of muscle you put on, that pound will need to be fed and you will have a higher base level of calories that you can consume before you start putting on more weight. Also, you ramp up your metabolic rate and have positive effects on your hormones for fat loss and muscle retention if you workout properly.

You will also want to strengthen the muscles to help give them a better shape. Think about it this way, as a woman, you wouldn't want to have a flat rear end after doing so much cardio and stuff (think marathon runners), so doing squats and lunges will put some quality muscle back there giving it an attractive shape.

Another thing to remember is that women only have a SMALL fraction of the testosterone levels that a man has, so you don't have to worry about building muscle like a man. If it were that easy to add muscle I'd look like a gorilla. Moreover, muscle is many times more dense than fat (appox. 7 lbs. more) which means that you will barely notice an increase in 5 lbs. of muscle, but in the process of adding those 5 lbs. of muscle you could end up losing 7lbs of fat making a huge difference with just a 2 lbs weight loss overall.

Without knowing your body shape and other details I can accurately give you a good workout program, but I can try this and see how it does:

Day 1
Circuit 1
Cardio for 10 Minutes\t\tHIIT

Circuit 2
Powercleans\t\t\t4 X 10 reps
1 Minute Rest\t\t\t

Circuit 3
Dumbbell Squats\t\t\t3 x 10 reps
1 Minute Rest\t\t\t

Circuit 4
Dumbbell Deadlifts\t 3 x 10
No Rest\t\t\t\t
Leg Curls\t\t
1 Minute Rest 3 x 10

Day 2
Circuit 1

Circuit 2
Squats\t\t\t\t_____\t_____\t_____\t_____
1 Minute Rest\t\t\t10\t10\t10\t10

Circuit 3
Dumbbell Presses\t\t\t_____\t_____\t_____
1 Minute Rest\t\t\t10\t10\t10

Circuit 4
Inclined Dumbbell Presses\t\t_____\t_____\t_____
No Rest\t\t\t\t10\t10\t10
Inclined Dumbbell Flies\t\t_____\t_____\t_____

Day 3
Circuit 1

Circuit 2
Bicep Curls\t\t\t_____\t_____\t_____\t_____
1 Minute Rest\t\t\t10\t10\t10\t10

Circuit 3
Lunges\t\t\t\t_____\t_____\t_____

Circuit 4
Triceps Kickbacks\t\t _____\t_____\t_____
No Rest\t\t\t \t10\t10\t10
Triceps Pushdowns\t\t _____\t_____\t_____

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, what is circuit training? I always hear that word.

Btw, I just found out about your car accident. I am so glad that you are still alive. I think the fact that you survived is God's way of telling you how special are.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Circuit training means different things to different people, but generally speaking it just means doing a series of excercises in a specific order with little or no rest periods.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Freddy - what do you recommend to as a good regimen for people with knee problems? My knees kill me during and after the dumbbell squats. Do you think I should continue them and my knees will get stronger or should I stop because I could damage my knees? I've always had problems with them, it's genetic. But they've never been bad enough that I've needed to go to a doctor.

Btw, I really appreciate all of your advice. I'm going to incorporate more strength training into my routine to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Freddy - what do you recommend to as a good regimen for people with knee problems? My knees kill me during and after the dumbbell squats. Do you think I should continue them and my knees will get stronger or should I stop because I could damage my knees? I've always had problems with them, it's genetic. But they've never been bad enough that I've needed to go to a doctor.

Btw, I really appreciate all of your advice. I'm going to incorporate more strength training into my routine to see if it makes a difference.
Chances are that your knees hurt from a lack of actually working them out. "Genetically" speaking, nothing should hurt. Also, you may need to distinguish between pain and burn. You said your knees hurt when you dumbbell squats, are you should you're not just "chickening out" and confusing the burn from doing dumbbell squats for knee pain? If this were the case it would be similar to me saying that I can't workout chest because it hurts when I do bench press. Know what I mean?

In any case, you would need to strenghten the knee, so continue to do your leg workouts and ice your knees down after every leg workout.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's possible - they just ache really bad when I do squats. Not sure why? Not really a burn, but an ache.

I'll continue to do them, hopefully they'll strengthen up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts