Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
hey.

nope.. no real timeframe hun. its like glutathione, you can take it for life. no harm.

and whered you read that?

detox usually lasts a couple of days to weeks depending on how unhealthy you are and how many toxins the body needs to expel.

mine only lasted 3 days, more like 2.5 days

apparently high intake of sulfur leadds to decrease in zinc ... so i take 40mg once a week (no harm btw).

I'll look into zinc also then.

Pertaining to the msm time-frames I was reading through experiments off & on to try and see more about long term use (years) of msm at high doses.

What I've read so far was just an experiment on weeks old mice who were mega dosed at ranges far beyond even in human dosages, which had caused "shrinkage"/atrophy to their organs.

I'm not certain of the exact quantity in grams for human of what the "100 fold higher" would refer to..

I can only think that if a 20 grams per day for humans would be significantly much lower than what the scientists were giving the lab mice.

2nd study, in human I've only been able to locate one so far which claimed of leading to an accumulation, which can be positive or what exactly.. I'm not certain?

Since sulfur levels would rise, which is a plus. Easily absorbed, yes. Yet, also depletes quickly once no longer supplementing. Yet, the experiment lasted only for about 4 weeks at standard mg amount.
I'll post below.

I'm interested in higher msm amounts long term (6 months to 1 year), then maintenance amount lower. As to why I was curious.

"The dosages used were amounts equal to the recommended supplements for humans [0.06 g/kg body weight (BW)/day: MSM1G and MSM1A], 10 fold higher (0.6 g/kg BW/day: MSM10G and MSM10A), and 100 fold higher (6 g/kg BW/day: MSM100G)."

"These results suggest that appropriate intake of MSM is possibly effective in OA model mice; however, intake of large amounts of MSM induced atrophy of several organs."

"It is possible that daily ingestion of MSM leads to an accumulation that can be detected in serum in significant quantities in the days following the initiation of supplementation."

"In conclusion, we report for the first time that chronic treatment with MSM results in a reliable increase in serum MSM concentrations, in the range of 1-3 mM following 2-4 weeks of supplementation. The increase in serum MSM appears to be somewhat time-dependent, with the majority of subjects experiencing a continued rise following the initial two-week treatment period."

"Future studies may seek to determine if serum MSM values continue to rise with longer-term supplementation, to determine the time course of decline in serum MSM concentrations following cessation of MSM use, to determine the influence of different MSM dosing patterns on serum accumulation, and to determine if the pattern of increase is the same for both men and women."

I've read that the body may become dependant of external glutathione over time and no longer produce it's own. As to why it's amino precursors are good for long term.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes........but that goes for anything you do to grow them. So if you use Latisse, Careprost, etc, the minute you stop, they will eventually go back to the length they once were. Kinda like dieting..........if you stop dieting, exercising, etc, you stop loosing weight and eventually go back to where you once were. That's why they call it a "lifestyle change", nothing short term, its a lifetime of work!

But for lashes, I do know that IF you used Latisse, or Careprost, once they get to the desired length you want them, you can go into maintenance mode and use it every other night or every couple nights. I have no idea if Gluta or MSM lengthen your lashes. I've taken MSM for years and can't say they've lengthened mine at all........But I DO know Latisse and Careprost work amazing!! ;)
I used to use to use the generic Careprost/Matisse on my lashes & eye brows, it was quite nice and had became accustomed to the look lol. Only used it for about 3 months though. Some say castor oil does similar, I've never tried yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I always wondered about the eyelash growth. is it permanent?
like if you stop taking glut, do the eyelashes go back to its normal length??
I haven't yet looked into if msm grows lashes & brows, I'll have to make note to see.

Since msm is known for hair growth.. everywhere? It would be a nice bonus for thicker lashes.

I have no idea if gluta does this. I'd also think that once stopped taking, that the lashes will return to it's normal previous length since hair sheds and has cycles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used to use to use the generic Careprost/Matisse on my lashes & eye brows, it was quite nice and had became accustomed to the look lol. Only used it for about 3 months though. Some say castor oil does similar, I've never tried yet.

yeah ive heard the same. The thing with castor oil is that its natural & the results are permanent (if you do get any hair growth, that is)
But if you use it too much it can actually do the opposite and cause shedding because CO is very thick and can clog the follicles. which is why it
shouldn't be used every night.

As for the final part of your post above.. yes thats true I also read the same thing that the body does become dependent on the external intake of glutathione
and no longer produces its own but the benefits of glutathione are amazing.. I would never stop taking it.
I think the same applies to a lot of supplements.

·
Registered
439 Posts
MSM is very safe. you can definitely go over 5000mg. most users I think take 10,000mg.
much like reduced glutathione because it is a powerful detox and you can become quite ill when you suddenly take too much.
so yes you are doing the right thing by gradually increasing your dose.. gradually increase to 15000mg for a week or two and monitor any symptoms.
supplement on that zinc weekly when taking a high amount of sulfur.
I didn't know that I needed to take zinc....So you're saying I can go over 5000mg?
Great then...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes........but that goes for anything you do to grow them. So if you use Latisse, Careprost, etc, the minute you stop, they will eventually go back to the length they once were. Kinda like dieting..........if you stop dieting, exercising, etc, you stop loosing weight and eventually go back to where you once were. That's why they call it a "lifestyle change", nothing short term, its a lifetime of work!

But for lashes, I do know that IF you used Latisse, or Careprost, once they get to the desired length you want them, you can go into maintenance mode and use it every other night or every couple nights. I have no idea if Gluta or MSM lengthen your lashes. I've taken MSM for years and can't say they've lengthened mine at all........But I DO know Latisse and Careprost work amazing!! ;)
Hi Gymmie,I was wondering whether I can take pycnogenol,say 200mg, alongside 5000mg of MSM and Vitamin C?Is this too much??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yeah ive heard the same. The thing with castor oil is that its natural & the results are permanent (if you do get any hair growth, that is)
But if you use it too much it can actually do the opposite and cause shedding because CO is very thick and can clog the follicles. which is why it
shouldn't be used every night.

As for the final part of your post above.. yes thats true I also read the same thing that the body does become dependent on the external intake of glutathione
and no longer produces its own but the benefits of glutathione are amazing.. I would never stop taking it.
I think the same applies to a lot of supplements.
Permanent is nice. I'm not surprised that using too much castor would do that, it is really thick.

For the gluta, probably once reaching 6 months I may try to then cycle it's use if there's any visible results by then? Then perhaps do a 2 or 3 months off & on, while continuing with it's precursors and other boosters.

I can't wait until to feel & see results..
I have noticed some benefit with msm pertaining to hair & nails. Too soon to tell for skin or any other gluta related supplements.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Yes you sure can, @jcole
How much vitamin C (currently taking liquid liposomal) is good to take alongside msm for best absorption?

I've read & searched, some say just 2,000mg vitamin C divided into doses throughout the day or else wasted (180mg per dose absorbed?).
Some also say much more is needed for absorption and in order to help aide absorption of the other supplements..

·
Registered
9 Posts
does anyone have crazy wild dreams when they take msm/vitamin c at night? I’ve been in a race war, a shoot out TWICE, naked watching my dog fight a damn Pokémon. I actually look forward to my dreams now, and I remember every detail

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Gummies, how much vitamin C (currently taking liquid liposomal) is good to take alongside msm for best absorption?

I've read & searched, some say just 2,000mg vitamin C divided into doses throughout the day or else wasted (180mg per dose absorbed?).
Some also say much more is needed for absorption and in order to help aide absorption of the other supplements..
I take 2,000mg a day. 1,000mg in the AM and 1,000mg in the PM. I take a buffered Vit C so its a lot easier on your stomach. Taking a high dose, can cause some to have tummy issues. I have always just stuck to the buffered version and have never had an issue with having an upset stomach.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
does anyone have crazy wild dreams when they take msm/vitamin c at night? I’ve been in a race war, a shoot out TWICE, naked watching my dog fight a damn Pokémon. I actually look forward to my dreams now, and I remember every detail
You mean vivid dreams ;) I don't .....and I take both MSM and Vit C at night. If that was happening to me every night I would stop taking whatever was causing it. No thank you!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sounds adventurous & exciting ☺. As soon as you awake, you can write down details of your dreams. Images, colours, people, day/night, animals, etc that our minds record are often symbolic. That's cool that you look forward to them. People usually speak of it being "nightmares" or too wild.. made me wonder what exactly are they dreaming & what their dreams were like prior lol.
Pokémon fight 😁, did your dog win?
Hmm I had dreams that I was my favourite manga & video game characters, within the actual manga/game (wasn't msm related).

My dreams have always been quite wild, eccentric, weird, colourful, adventurous, detailed since I was a youth. Including having lucid dreams sometimes.. which are most exciting (when you're consciously aware you're dreaming thus have more control within the dream).
When I would read of people having wild dreams caused by msm, I was curious if it could further intensify what was already intensified lol.. I can't tell a difference. My dreams are still pretty far out there & eccentric. I don't think mine could go to a much further extent..

Yet I've been having increasing flashbacks in dreams again, which I haven't had in quite sometime. It made me wonder if it was due to the msm. Memories intense enough to the extent that I've been intensely thinking of certain people & events all of a sudden, once a large part of in my life that I thought I've mostly forgotten. As though the fkashbacks' time gap didn't exist. This has been occuring for the past week now, not necessarily a negative. Quite interesting, really. As though if it is due to the msm, then it has tendency to bring memories that were buried deep in the subconscious to the surface. Yes, I look forward to the dreams as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I take 2,000mg a day. 1,000mg in the AM and 1,000mg in the PM. I take a buffered Vit C so its a lot easier on your stomach. Taking a high dose, can cause some to have tummy issues. I have always just stuck to the buffered version and have never had an issue with having an upset stomach.
Such as with potassium, magnesium, and calcium? Which brand, may I ask?

I make an electrolyte water and sometimes drink it as I take vitamin C. Some of the divided doses I take the liposomal version and other doses I'm trying to also finish up the 500mg capsule. Yet, I'm beginning to think the liposomal vitamin C is over-hyped & overpriced? And may work just as well as any other good brand of L ascorbic, due to mixed reviews I'm reading.

The buffered version is like a slow release?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I divide my msm dose 3 times a day, along with vitamin c. The last dose being at night, I haven't noticed anything more vivid than vivid lol. I already have insomnia any ways, wish there was a cure for insomnia.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Such as with potassium, magnesium, and calcium? Which brand, may I ask?

I make an electrolyte water and sometimes drink it as I take vitamin C. Some of the divided doses I take the liposomal version and other doses I'm trying to also finish up the 500mg capsule. Yet, I'm beginning to think the liposomal vitamin C is over-hyped & overpriced? And may work just as well as any other good brand of L ascorbic, due to mixed reviews I'm reading.

The buffered version is like a slow release?
Which brand of Vit C do I take?? Country Life it isn't time released, its just buffered, (prepared with natural alkaline calcium and magnesium) to buffer the excess acidity of Vit C. https://www.vitacost.com/country-life-buffered-vitamin-c-1000-mg-250-tablets

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I divide my msm dose 3 times a day, along with vitamin c. The last dose being at night, I haven't noticed anything more vivid than vivid lol. I already have insomnia any ways, wish there was a cure for insomnia.
Amen to that!! I feel the exact same way, and even as a youngin I struggled. Sleep has never come easy for me, I never take naps in fear I'd be up all night. You are not alone with the insomnia, SO many struggle with it. Mine is just turning my brain off, I'm up solving the worlds problems (in my head) ;) . I've tried it all..........nothing works! Tried all the meditation aps, complete nonsense, having to listen to those people in the monotoned voice was annoying, in no way was that relaxing. I've tried melatonin, that didn't work, Tylenol PM doesn't work, Nyquil makes me feel groggy and hungover, haven't found that miracle yet to help turn my brain off.......but if and when I do, I will be sure to pass it along 🙏

As for dreams.......growing up a really good friend of mine had a dream book. I literally would call her every morning to have her look up what my dreams meant, if I could remember them, which was a rare occasion. But they say........what you dream about, is the last thing you think about before falling asleep. So the flashbacks that you speak of, make me think these people or things way heavy on your brain and you don't realize it, until they re appear in your dreams. What about the dreams that wake you up, you realize your dreaming, but then fall back to sleep to pick up where you left off in that dream.............hate those!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Amen to that!! I feel the exact same way, and even as a youngin I struggled. Sleep has never come easy for me, I never take naps in fear I'd be up all night. You are not alone with the insomnia, SO many struggle with it. Mine is just turning my brain off, I'm up solving the worlds problems (in my head) ;) . I've tried it all..........nothing works! Tried all the meditation aps, complete nonsense, having to listen to those people in the monotoned voice was annoying, in no way was that relaxing. I've tried melatonin, that didn't work, Tylenol PM doesn't work, Nyquil makes me feel groggy and hungover, haven't found that miracle yet to help turn my brain off.......but if and when I do, I will be sure to pass it along 🙏

As for dreams.......growing up a really good friend of mine had a dream book. I literally would call her every morning to have her look up what my dreams meant, if I could remember them, which was a rare occasion. But they say........what you dream about, is the last thing you think about before falling asleep. So the flashbacks that you speak of, make me think these people or things way heavy on your brain and you don't realize it, until they re appear in your dreams. What about the dreams that wake you up, you realize your dreaming, but then fall back to sleep to pick up where you left off in that dream.............hate those!!
Thanks for the link ✌, I'll look into this.

I agree, trying to solve all of the world's problems in my head 😁. Have also tried variety of things, including melatonin. Mostly nothing really worked long-term for me either pertaining to insomnia, Perhaps I think too much or fighting sleep lol. The closest things that help a little and only seldomly is my playlist of astrophysics & quantum physics lectures/documentaries, usually fairly monotone yet quite interesting, with lights turned all the way down, no blue light. Setting my alarm clock really early & try not to take naps, if I take nap accidentally it'll definitely be a long night. Have been avoiding coffee/caffeine for about a month to see if that would help.
I do read a lot at night, can't help it.

.. eye bags are growing at an accelerated rate too within the past year & a half.
Do pass along any insomnia cures that you'll come across, I'll be forever grateful 😌 .

That's a pretty cool idea, just call a friend and have them to look it up.
the last things that I think about must've been buried deep in the subconscious.
I have a couple of dream books that I have packed away, haven't read through them in a while. Very interesting stuff. The most detail of our dreams we recall for only about 5 minutes or less (I may have the time estimate incorrect). Recalling more detail of a dream within first few moments of awakening, jotting down immeditely upon waking & before doing or thinking of any tasks. The more images that are recalled, the more that can be defined, since the brain records & perceives everything it observes. Yet, all imagery isn't perceived the same for everyone.
I grew up writing dreams down, everything is symbolic that our minds record & perceive.. including night & day has it's symbolism. Yet, I rarely record ever these days unless it's really something that stands out. It's time consuming.

I've had a few reoccurring dreams that when I fell back asleep, the dream continues. Rare for me, as long as it wasn't a frightening one I did look forward to see what happens next lol.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Avoid taking MSM in the evenings and see how that goes..
Pregnancies and Nursing of babies really messed up my sleep cycle, so I am permanently on melatonin. Talk to your doctor and see if melatonin can be recommended to you for insomnia.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Avoid taking MSM in the evenings and see how that goes..
Pregnancies and Nursing of babies really messed up my sleep cycle, so I am permanently on melatonin. Talk to your doctor and see if melatonin can be recommended to you for insomnia.
Thanks. I could, yet I've had insomnia for years prior to msm. My insomnia in the past used to be much worse (awake for 2 & 3 days at a time). Yes, I've had melatonin.. had 2 rounds for months on it, even with increased doses. Yet, to no avail not help with sleep. Although, I've been considering taking melatonin again as I had briefly read there's a glutathione+melatonin connection.

Congrats on the babies 🌼 .

21 - 40 of 40 Posts