Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here

I noticed that ADC only has 0.1% RA in gel form. I intend to mix my RA and HQ but will the gel+cream mixture be ok?..or will i get the "piling effect"?

·
Registered
412 Posts
HI Skinfull,

I posted a thread today and one of the members asked the same question...ondine said that the cream and gel dont mix well together and she applies the hq first...while other members said that they do blend it...hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, mooyou.

LNL also has discussed the pilling effect. Creams mix with creams & gels mix with gels IF you plan on mixing them ahead of time & storing them. With gel RA & cream HQ, well...mooyou has told you how I do this & it is working very well.

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
If it was a moisturizer or lotion type of Hydroquinone then I would go ahead and tell you to apply that on very dry skin first like a nickel sized amount, rub it in really well then wait an hour to apply ur retin-a gel but I use the HQ from ADC and it is not lotion, fluidy or silky material, it is kind of a thick cream and I took a look at the preservatives and bases they use for it and it definitely wont mix well with any type of gels so your best bet is to use the gel RA 0.1% at night without the HQ and use HQ during the day until you have finished the RA and order the cream version next time. Of course if money is not an issue then just go ahead and purchase the cream RA; it is also important to note that if you cant find the cream version of 0.1% then use the 0.05% RA, higher concentrations does not always mean better results, you will get enough exfoliation from the 0.05% RA without the unnecessary redness, irritation and it is a bit moisturizing since its a cream form.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LNL- Thanks! The only reason i'm using 0.1 is because that's what i have always used when i use obagi. The HQ i use is a thick cream, so I prefer the cream RA as well but ADC doesnt have it at 0.1.

Ondine- Thanks. I think I'll use your tried and tested way since i'm going to be buying the gel .

Thanks Mooyou!

·
Registered
484 Posts
40 grams of tretinoin 0.1% cream? thats a bargain for those who cant find it on ADC, that cream alone will last u a year if used on face and neck only.
Confused here what is a "piling effect"

P.S.

Has anyone said you look like that McSteamy dude on that hospital show?

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
The piling effect is the undesirable gummy clots you get when you have too many products of different bases such as a gel and a cream on your face, the products dont mix well together so therefore they break up on your skin into gummy white eels which would be nice if it had some flavor so u can eat it as a candy but its not candy

no they said some guy on a soap opera.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
484 Posts
ohhhhh ok I got it now!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
LNL's avatar is a character named Nikolas on General Hospital...hes probably the McSteamy version on GH minus the doctor status..nevertheless, still very "steamy" haha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
40 grams of tretinoin 0.1% cream? thats a bargain for those who cant find it on ADC, that cream alone will last u a year if used on face and neck only.
I thougt the one ADC sells was 20g lasts about a month? This is double that (40g)..would it really last a year?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts