Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to this site and to skincare in general really but am looking for some suppliers in the UK where I can find similar products to lotioncrafter & skinactives as I'd really like to start making my own potions. Can anyone suggest any good suppliers and also a good place for guidance on making them up please?

Thanks all,

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
hi, you are able to get some diy products here in the uk, but the best advice i can give you is to use google and buy a good book for diying your own products!

What do you want to diy and for what purposes will also help you as well in your search for products, there are loads of bits out there that you can use!

Just do a lot of research and you will be alright though, there are some products that you should not really mix together and just make sure that you use a good antioxdient in your products to stop free radicals getting into the skin!

If you are looking at anti aging, most people here use retinol and vit c though and this seems to work on most, some things though are not worth diying and you are better off just purchasing these products, for example a great website i like for peels is mediderm.co.uk Online!

Best thing though that you can do is just google around a bit for uk websites and you will come across diy info, we just dont seem to have as much from what i can gather in comparison to what you can get in the US unforuntaly!

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi guys, I recently received a newsletter from Skinactives saying that they will shortly have a UK distributor who is in the process of getting her site up and running.

It's called Activeformulas.com

As for things like Green Cream, Fawnie , who as we know is a bit of a guru on skincare
recommended that if I was thinking about Green Cream to try Avene Retrinol creamswhich you can buy on line from a UK site and basically is the equivalent of Green cream but will save a fortune on shipping and tax.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
ely i would look at the review on makeup alley before purchasing avene if i remember correctly the reviews for the cream were not great! If your looking though at getting retinol in the uk then peronally i would try to get through your gp, even this can be hard as gp dont like giving retinol on prescription!

It will be interesting to see what ingrendients they put on this active forumlas, cause unfortunalty even though you can buy things like coffee creams and seeweed bases etc here in the uk, i dont seem to be able to find things like peptides for diy use here in the uk! Unfortunalty as well a lot of the ingrendients you can buy in the usa, we are allowed to have here here in the uk as well!

·
Registered
98 Posts
NY,I had alook at the reviews somewhile ago for the Avene cream,in the one I saw they were actually comparing it to Skinceuticals.In the review that I read they were mainly talking about Ystheal ( moisturising base not scented) and Eulage( emollient base with HA and heavily scented) both with retinol in them, and the reviews were mixed, I think overall the Ystheal came out far more favourably. These are apparently the European versions of Avene's Retrinal which is sold in North America.However I found a UK site that sells the Retrinal in .025%, .05% and .1%...which seems to be similar to the green cream....I haven't as yet ordered any because my skin is a bit sensitive and I'm still after 6/7 weeks of mixing my own Vit C only at 12%...so I was going to wait until September before ordering...
As a side issue, my friend who uses skinceuticals Vit C,E ferulic serum and paid full whack first time round..has started buying the sample sizes on E Bay...and I had a look and noticed that they were also selling the retinol cream in sample sizes for £20 or so...can't remember the exact quantities off the top of my head but considering how little you use it seemed like a real deal....my friend seems pleased with her purchase but I'm just unsure about it because I can't help wondering if a) is it the real deal b) how old is it and with retinoll cream does that matter as it does with the vit c?....I guess I'm just not sure about buying skincare products off Ebay but then I'm an Ebay Virgin...thoughts?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
hi ely what the was the name of this retinol cream you found, id be interest to check it out that is all, if you dont mind sharing!

as far as ebay is concerned i have never really used it myself and when it comes down to getting products i am pretty much diying all my bits apart from retinol!

from what i understand though with ebay as lonf as the seller has good feed back, then you should not have a problem with buying off ebay, you can always check out as well the notes people have written on the feed back bit about the seller, and may be looking at buying products off a skincare store on ebay and not just a random product that someone is trying to sell, always check out the dates on products too you dont want to buy a product that might be old and out of date!

im not the best though on ebay, may be get a friend to help you out with it a bit!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Skin ceuticals retinol can be quite a strong product i would think about it before using this product! if you skin is sensative why not try a peel for sensative skin and then move on to retinol, or otherwise you could buy a retinol cream for diy use here in the UK!

Like with anything though its all about trial and error about what is best for your skin type!

The one thing that i would recomed using in your skin care routine is antioxidents, and also peptides might be worth you looking into as well!

Hope you find something that works for you!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Skin ceuticals retinol can be quite a strong product i would think about it before using this product! if you skin is sensative why not try a peel for sensative skin and then move on to retinol, or otherwise you could buy a retinol cream for diy use here in the UK!

Like with anything though its all about trial and error about what is best for your skin type!

The one thing that i would recomed using in your skin care routine is antioxidents, and also peptides might be worth you looking into as well!

Hope you find something that works for you!
hi ny,

I have seen you have mentioned peptides. What are peptides and what do they do if I may ask?
thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts