Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I don't know why, but I've only just found this section of the Skin Care Forum. I canâ€2122t understand why I havenâ€2122t discovered it before!
Whilst I have been extolling the virtues of lotions and potions et al in the basic skin care and anti-aging sections, its diet and exercise which ranks as No 1 in my eyes.

I think itâ€2122s because Iâ€2122ve been brought up in a sporting and exercise environment. I met my husband at University where I was studying Languages and Physical Education. He taught and lectured in Physical Education for 30 years and is one of the UKâ€2122s top athletic speed and jumps coaches. My daughter ran the 800mts and 1500mts for Great Britain and she married an Olympic 400mts athlete. I played Netball for my country so my involvement in exercise and sport has been something that has been an integral part of my life for such a very long time.

With this involvement in exercise comes a huge interest in eating healthily. I have never been on a diet but simply eat well. Iâ€2122ve never had a weight problem because I have exercised every day ever since I was a young teenager.

I run every day and use the gym but my favourite exercise regime is my rebounder [mini-trampoline]. I wouldnâ€2122t like to be without it and have ‘gone throughâ€2122 dozens of them over the years. It is a wonderful way of toning up your whole body. It greatly improves lymphatic drainage, eliminates wastes from your system efficiently and leaves you feeling great. It improves your complexion too.

On my rebounder I skip, run on the spot, fling my arms – in fact any movement is possible. Rebounding will do all that other forms of aerobic exercise can – strengthening your heart and lungs and firming your muscles.

Your body is subjected to the changing force of gravity when it bounces up and down. Rebounding crosses the generation gap too. It can be done as easily and as effectively by the sixteen year old as it can by an ailing sixty year old whose muscles and joints have long ago lost their capacity for smooth movement.

Some top athletes use rebounders as part of their training programmes [I know my husband uses them], while old or infirm are given rehabilitation on the same kind of bouncing devices.

From now on I shall certainly scroll down the Skin Care Forum page to read with interest and hopefully contribute to the exercise and diet forum.

Warm regards to you all,

redrose

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks redrose. Very helpful post. I think I will be buying the trampoline soon!

How long do you have to rebound per day?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Be careful with the set up! When I bought mine I thought it would be simple to just take it home and pop it open but not so! The first thing I see is 'WARNING CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY AND DEATH, OPEN WITH TWO OR MORE VERY STRONG PEOPLE'

Hardly reassuring!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all your rebounders,

I use my rebounder once a day for 30/40 minutes. I have developed my own sequences of 'moves'.
I put on my favourite CD and away I go. I do double-footed bouncing to start; then I move from left to right foot in a sideways action then I jog slowly and build up within 5 minutes to a quick run. Your sequences are are only limited by your own imagination.

I can bring my arms and shoulders into play by circling them forwards and backwards.

My husband helps me to devise some of my moves.

Because I've used a rebounder for many, many years I can really 'drive' it. So take care at first until you are able to bounce and rebound without fear of falling off.
You can actually purchase a stabiliser bar to hold on to.

Also, the type of music you play can a huge effect on the intensity of the exercise period.

If I'm slightly stressed then the music is quite loud but sometimes I just want to raise my heart rate a bit and relax so I put on a suitable easy -listening CD.

All the very best to you all,

redrose

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks redrose.

I got mine from Argos about 6 years ago, and have hardly used it! It's out on the balcony, but in a recess where it hasn't been rained on etc.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow - take it apart and check it, and put it back together again.

Will let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Redrose,

My Argos rebounder looks fine. It's hardly been used, after all, and has been stored outside in the freah air, but completely clear of the rain (deeply recessed balcony). Has a name on the central mesh (now faded) that reads (I think) LeisureWise.

The central mesh is strong and springy - no tears or weaknesses evident, and the hooks and springs attaching it to the frame are clear of rust and look and feel solid and strong. Legs are steady as well - no wobbles (but I'll loosen and retighten them before I start anyway).

Only the plastic covering round the perimeter is showing damage - but as that's cosmetic and not part of the essential structure, I guess that's ok.

Does that all sound usable/stable to you?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Semayden,

It's all looking good for lift-off or should I say bounce-off.

Let me know how you get on - but start slowly.....

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
98 Posts
well I went out and bought one and....I love it!!...I have found an interval training workout programme to do thanks to Periwinkle, and I have done it 2 so far with loud music and it was great fun, I felt like I had a good workout..had to be careful not to get too carried away...so easy to go a bit mad what with the music and everything
.. thanks so much Redrose...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
well I went out and bought one and....I love it!!...I have found an interval training workout programme to do thanks to Periwinkle, and I have done it 2 so far with loud music and it was great fun, I felt like I had a good workout..had to be careful not to get too carried away...so easy to go a bit mad what with the music and everything
.. thanks so much Redrose...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yow! I only did about 7 minutes today (first time for years) and have to say that when I got off the RB I felt like jelly - and I certainly felt as if every bit of my body had been woggled, shaken and, well, drained of rubbish.

So, tomorrow, 10 minutes I think, and I'll add time steadily as the weeks pass.

My husband was sceptical when he came home and I told him how taxing the RB had been for me. Heh heh, just wait until he tries it...

Thanks periwinkle for that link to info about bounding that you posted in the other thread. I saved it.

What a year of changes and improvements this has been so far.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh great! Been googling rebounders, and apparently the fact that I have a cheap one is a big no-no. The more expensive the better! Well, wouldn't you know it...

It seems perfectly sound and stable to me, has a 'bullhorn cleave' which makes me feel safe: the mesh is strong and intact: the bounce is firm - not too hard or too soft - and it has 6 sturdy legs, and stands about 9 " from floor. For the love of all that's holy, what else does an amateur rebounding person need!!! Someone over from NASA to approve it... ?

Please, all you rebounding experts, advise! I need my money for books for my MA (and some mascara!) - not for stuff I may not need. Please tell me if I am wasting my time with my Argos LeisureWise rebounder/mini-tramploline - because I'd rather know now than learn to love it more and more and have to give it up and save for a posh one...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oh great! Been googling rebounders, and apparently the fact that I have a cheap one is a big no-no. The more expensive the better! Well, wouldn't you know it...

It seems perfectly sound and stable to me, has a 'bullhorn cleave' which makes me feel safe: the mesh is strong and intact: the bounce is firm - not too hard or too soft - and it has 6 sturdy legs, and stands about 9 " from floor. For the love of all that's holy, what else does an amateur rebounding person need!!! Someone over from NASA to approve it... ?

Please, all you rebounding experts, advise! I need my money for books for my MA (and some mascara!) - not for stuff I may not need. Please tell me if I am wasting my time with my Argos LeisureWise rebounder/mini-tramploline - because I'd rather know now than learn to love it more and more and have to give it up and save for a posh one...
What makes you think it's not a good one? I know nothing about this particular one but it sounds good to me. Heck I bought a $20 rebounder at Wal-Mart and it works well for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Peri, thanks for quick reply. That's encouraging that you're bouncing happily about on a Walmart rebounder!

My two eyes and common sense tell me that the rebounder I have is solid. It's just that I was thrown as I went googling, looking for extra reviews on rebounding. Time and again I kept coming across people who said they'd started out with cheap ones, and having gone on to more expensive ones ($200 PLUS, PLUS) they were (seemingly) thrilled to bits with them and noted a big improvement in performance and durability, so...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
please share some exercises to flatten tummy...
Your diet is going to play the biggest role in flattening your tummy. That along with some good aerobic conditioning. Basic crunches are a good exercise. Think of your body as a whole and work it that way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts