Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone ~ hope you are doing well!

I have a few questions and thought this would be the perfect place to get some answers :)

I would like to start a new routine and need some advice about how to go about making the products I want to use as well as how to use them. I have been using a BHA cleanser morning and night, it seems to be working well for me but I would like to make it myself so I can increase the BHA strength from time to time – anyone have a recipe for a BHA or BHA/AHA cleanser that you are willing to share? I also use a hyaluronic acid cream morning and night that I would like to make, recipe for that please? Now here is where I run into so problems – I would like to start using a couple of serums but need recipes for them as well as the correct way to use them. In the morning I would like to use an AHA serum, retinol serum [I am under the impression that retinol is stronger that any vitamin A other that a prescription Retin-A – correct? My doctor will not give me a script for Retin-A nor do I wish to order something like this online] and I also plan to use Kassyâ€2122s Vitamin C serum. In the evening I would like to use an AHA serum, copper peptide serum, and a hyaluronic acid serum. Does this routine sound good? Does anyone have recipes for all these serums and creams? Are there any special instructions I need to follow when using these types or this many products, like waiting 30 minutes after applying the Vit C serum before applying other products? Thanks for all the help everyone and have a great day :)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I agree!

It sounds like you are using the ******* Sink approach!

Start with only one product at a time, or one in am, one in pm. That way you will know who the culprit is if you start to have trouble!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight everyone! I guess you are right - its overkill :) So can you tell me where I can order retin-a cream online? I do live in the US and won't want any problems trying to order it without a script. Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
And if you do order the Retin-A without a prescription - please read all of the precautions and contraindications for using this drug, which is why it is sold via Rx only in the US and Canada, at least.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If you're not using Retin-A and still need a little convincing, consider these excellent reasons to check out what you're missing:

1. Sure, just about every new facial cream these days claims to improve wrinkles - but Retin-A (tretinoin) and to a lesser effect retinols, are the only type of topical cream proven to do just that. Retin-A stimulates your skin to generate collagen and hyaluronic acid, two of the main components of your dermis, which give skin firmness and fullness.

But you don't have to take my word for it: In a study published in 2007, led by doctors at the University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, 0.4% retinol (a concentration you can even find in many over-the-counter products) was applied to 36 subjects with a mean age of 87 up to 3 times per week. After 24 weeks, the improvement to retinol treated skin was dramatic, and clearly visible to the naked eye.

2. While Retin-A is stimulating skin to produce more collagen and hyaluronic acid, it's also slowing the age-related loss of those crucial skin components. That means they're simultaneously preventing lines and wrinkles that haven't yet formed.

3. Of course, there's more to great skin than the absence of lines and wrinkles, and Retin-A can also improve a variety of other skin concerns. Let's start with increased radiance: Retin-A is a powerful exfoliator, meaning that it helps slough off the dead skins cells on skin's surface. In so doing, it smooths the skin's texture and reveals younger, healthier cells - leaving you positively glowing.

4. By speeding your skin's natural cell turnover, Retin-A can also help fade patches of hyperpigmentation. Sun damage, conditions like melasma, and even minor cuts and bug bites can leave behind dark patches on the skin. Once the cause of that hyperpigmentation is eliminated, it can still take a while for dark patches to disappear naturally.Retin-A, however, will speed up the process by which skin replaces itself, hastening the return of a healthy, even skin tone.

5. Retin-A is also highly effective in decreasing oil production - in fact, they first came to the attention of the dermatological community for the treatment of acne. (Lo and behold, dermatologists found over the years that the skin of patients they'd been treating for acne had fewer wrinkles and dark spots than untreated skin. That's when Retin-A's anti-aging benefits began receiving greater attention. Because they also exfoliate the dead skin cells that clog pores and contribute to acne, Retin-A offers a two-pronged attack against breakouts.

6. Finally, Retin-A is the best way to get the most bang for your skin-care buck. This wonder product is also the best way to prepare your skin for every other product you use. By sloughing off that top layer of dead skin cells, Retin-A prepares the skin to better absorb every other skin care ingredient you use.

One final note: As you can see, I'm a big fan of Retin-A, but not for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding; they should not use these ingredients." Only use this product at night before bed. NEVER in the morning. The sunlight will cause you to be more sun sensitive. You MUST use a sunscreen when using Retin-A. You should be period!!!
You'll often see it written to avoid the eye area while using this product. That makes no sense to me. That is an area that could most use this wonderful product. Use it all over your face, neck, and hands. Not just on your lines and wrinkles. Careful on your neck as the skin is thinner there. Go less often or use a weaker percentage.
Apply up to every night if you can tolerate it. Current research is suggesting to not apply any moisturizer over it as this may interfere with the actions of the product. YMMV.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Hello hoping4help-

My question is why wouldn't your Dr give you a Rx for Retin A?

I use a Vit C serum in the morning, at night I use a couple different serums along with my Retin-A. I really don't think you need to use a BHA serum. If you feel like you needed too, then maybe do a BHA peel once a week or so. Using a BHA cleanser along with the Vit C, and Retin-A is WAY too much, in my opinion.

I found for myself doing a AHA/BHA peel once a week is just about all the chemicals my face can handle.

Best of luck with what ever you choose-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One final note: As you can see, I'm a big fan of Retin-A, but not for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding; they should not use these ingredients.
YES!!! To this I will add that doctors are also hesitant to prescribe the drug to women who are likely to become pregnant - the risk to the child is not worth the anti-aging benefit to women in this category.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow - Thanks again for all the replies! You guys are the greatest!

To answer some of the questions - my skin is dry [I'm 42 and in menopause have been since 38 years old] but with large pores on my cheeks and nose. I have several deep forehead lines and a few finer crow's feet lines. I have a heavy mouth to nose lines as well as a pouch on both sides of my mouth that curve downwards [not sure if I can explain it any better than that -sorry]

As for my doctor not writing me a script - she wants to put me on HRT and blames my skin on not being on it. She saids HRT will fix all - but I've known several people that took HRT and their skin is no better than mine! She told me that I just needed to adapt to the fact that I'm not young anymore and this is what old age [in not so many words] looks like.

As for ordering retin-a online, I would love to but I'm just so scared of getting into trouble - sounds silly I'm sure but still .....

Will look at the site mentioned and decide - thanks again for all the help! :)

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Wow - Thanks again for all the replies! You guys are the greatest!

To answer some of the questions - my skin is dry [I'm 42 and in menopause have been since 38 years old] but with large pores on my cheeks and nose. I have several deep forehead lines and a few finer crow's feet lines. I have a heavy mouth to nose lines as well as a pouch on both sides of my mouth that curve downwards [not sure if I can explain it any better than that -sorry]

As for my doctor not writing me a script - she wants to put me on HRT and blames my skin on not being on it. She saids HRT will fix all - but I've known several people that took HRT and their skin is no better than mine! She told me that I just needed to adapt to the fact that I'm not young anymore and this is what old age [in not so many words] looks like.

As for ordering retin-a online, I would love to but I'm just so scared of getting into trouble - sounds silly I'm sure but still .....

Will look at the site mentioned and decide - thanks again for all the help! :)
Well you are not alone! I am 40 and getting ready to start HRT. I actually go tomorrow to pick up my goodies. I can't wait to see what my results came back at!! I am doing bio identical though. I must say I am pretty excited-

I also think hormones have a lot to do with the texture of your skin. I have noticed a huge change in mine in the last 1-2 years. I know hormones are part of it. Try starting with a Vit C serum and see if you like the results. I use both Vit C and Retin A and love them both!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow just looked at the rx site - the shipping is killer!

I'm seriously thinking about ordering some but I'm not sure where to start should I order .025%, .05%, or .1%? About how long will a 20g tube last? Should I order one tube of each the .025, .05, and .1 so I can increase the strength as my skin gets comfortable with it or two tubes of each? How long does it last on the shelf if you don't open them? I don't want to have to pay shipping costs like that more than once or twice a year!

Any help you can give me would be great - and thanks again

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Wow just looked at the rx site - the shipping is killer!

I'm seriously thinking about ordering some but I'm not sure where to start should I order .025%, .05%, or .1%? About how long will a 20g tube last? Should I order one tube of each the .025, .05, and .1 so I can increase the strength as my skin gets comfortable with it or two tubes of each? How long does it last on the shelf if you don't open them? I don't want to have to pay shipping costs like that more than once or twice a year!

Any help you can give me would be great - and thanks again
Hoping4help-

I do not order my Retin A online, only because I get a Rx from my doc. But my tube, which I just got, is .45g and it expires in 8/2010. I use both .04% and .1%, depending on how my skin is looking. I would definately get 2 different strengths to avoid having to re-order and with the shipping costs. I know my tubes last me a VERY long time. It also helps that I alternate between the two. I am not sure what type you can get online, but I use the Retin-a micro and like it a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again everyone for your help - I ordered retin-a online! YEAH! Now I just need to look around the boards to figure out how to use it! Wish me luck and thanks again :)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thanks again everyone for your help - I ordered retin-a online! YEAH! Now I just need to look around the boards to figure out how to use it! Wish me luck and thanks again :)
Remember to start out slowly. No need to rush things with this product.
Maybe use it 2-3 times a week to start and see how your skin responds. Eventually working up to daily if you can handle it. Besides being careful with the neck area, also be careful at the corners of the mouth and eyes. I'm speaking from experience.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's great Hope,
What % did you order? Usually for anti-ageing 0.025% or 0.05% is good enough. Here is the instruction from acne.com for RA application:

"Retin-A is used once per day, or once every other day, usually at bedtime. The skin should first be washed with a mild cleanser. Twenty or 30 minutes after cleansing, Retin-A is applied to affected areas. This wait time is important to ensure completely dry skin. Applying Retin-A while skin is even the slightest bit damp invites irritation."

You only need a pea-sized amount spread equally on 8 fingers then spotted all over the face until evenly applied. You use it all over the face, but I avoid the neck since it is more sensitive, at least at first. I apply it to my chest and hands too.

You know you have to use a high spf/high ppd sunscreen when you use RA, right? The ingredients to look for are Mexoryl or Tinosorb. Or a zinc oxide SS if you are sensitive to chemical ones.

HTH!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks periwinkle and fawnie! You guys are the best! I ordered the .05% retin-a, hope that isn't to strong?!? I guess I did read a thread - mmm if I can find it again about buffering it - maybe I will try that to start off with :) If I'm not to big of a pain can I ask another question - I want to know if I can apply Hyaluronic Acid Cream or emu oil on top of the retin-a for moisture?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thanks periwinkle and fawnie! You guys are the best! I ordered the .05% retin-a, hope that isn't to strong?!? I guess I did read a thread - mmm if I can find it again about buffering it - maybe I will try that to start off with :) If I'm not to big of a pain can I ask another question - I want to know if I can apply Hyaluronic Acid Cream or emu oil on top of the retin-a for moisture?
You should be o.k with the 0.05% from allday. Especially if you go slowly. It's the 0.1% from allday that messed me up for awhile. That stuff is STRONG.

Personally, I'd just use the retin-a alone. It's such a amazing product that it stands alone IMO. I let it do it's magic for the 8 hours or so I sleep. The remaining 16 hours in the day are when I use all the other goodies. YMMV. Some say wait anywhere between 30 minutes to and hour or so before using something over it.
Eucerin cream is what I've read is good for buffering it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts