Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Crispy Baked Wings

Ingredients
Approx 10 of the biggest chicken wings you can find!
This recipe is also nice with Pork Spare ribs. Ask your butcher to cut them into 2 inch pieces and wash them well incase there are any loose bone bits from the cuts.

• 2 cups / 250g All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
  • 1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin / Mixed Spice
  • Zest of 1 lime or lemon
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • Pepper and Salt to season. Go easy on the salt as the garlic salt will add as your salt addition too!
  • 2 Eggs beaten
  • 4 Tablespoons Milk

Marinade
Enough pineapple juice to soak the wings in a container or zippy bag.

NOTES: These are not 'hot' wings, they're aromatic & spicy. If you want a kick to them, add 1 -2 teaspoons of chili powder to the flour mix .

Depending on the size of your wings, you may also need a little more or less flour or egg mix, if you run out, no problem! just make a little more up!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hippie do you have any recipe for crispy fried chicken? Mine never turn out that perfect golden color and crispy texture It also takes me forever to fry them (40 minutes) than most ppl I know because I always end up getting that raw taste if I fry them any less

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It also takes me forever to fry them (40 minutes) than most ppl I know because I always end up getting that raw taste if I fry them any less
Have you ever poke holes into your chicken before you fry it? You can use a fork to do it with. That will help also. But yes I got a crispy fried chicken recipe you can try dear.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Crispy Fried Chicken

Ingredients
1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup sour milk
2 cups all-purpose flour for coating
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying

Directions
  1. Take your cut up chicken pieces and skin them if you prefer. Put the flour in a large plastic bag (let the amount of chicken you are cooking dictate the amount of flour you use). Season the flour with paprika, salt and pepper to taste (paprika helps to brown the chicken).
  2. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk then, a few at a time, put them in the bag with the flour, seal the bag and shake to coat well. Place the coated chicken on a cookie sheet or tray, and cover with a clean dish towel or waxed paper. LET SIT UNTIL THE FLOUR IS OF A PASTE-LIKE CONSISTENCY. THIS IS CRUCIAL!
  3. Fill a large skillet (cast iron is best) about 1/3 to 1/2 full with vegetable oil. Heat until VERY hot. Put in as many chicken pieces as the skillet can hold. Brown the chicken in HOT oil on both sides. When browned, reduce heat and cover skillet; let cook for 30 minutes (the chicken will be cooked through but not crispy). Remove cover, raise heat again and continue to fry until crispy.
  4. Drain the fried chicken on paper towels. Depending on how much chicken you have, you may have to fry in a few shifts. Keep the finished chicken in a slightly warm oven while preparing the rest.

**Notes: Marinate the chicken for a few hours before frying. With a little salt, pepper and paprika. If you're in a hurry far as dinner goes 10mins is just fine.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Crispy Fried Chicken Ingredients 1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into pieces 1 cup sour milk  2 cups all-purpose flour for coating 1 tsp paprika Salt and pepper to taste 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying Directions
  1. Take your cut up chicken pieces and skin them if you prefer. Put the flour in a large plastic bag (let the amount of chicken you are cooking dictate the amount of flour you use). Season the flour with paprika, salt and pepper to taste (paprika helps to brown the chicken).
  2. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk then, a few at a time, put them in the bag with the flour, seal the bag and shake to coat well. Place the coated chicken on a cookie sheet or tray, and cover with a clean dish towel or waxed paper. LET SIT UNTIL THE FLOUR IS OF A PASTE-LIKE CONSISTENCY. THIS IS CRUCIAL!
  3. Fill a large skillet (cast iron is best) about 1/3 to 1/2 full with vegetable oil. Heat until VERY hot. Put in as many chicken pieces as the skillet can hold. Brown the chicken in HOT oil on both sides. When browned, reduce heat and cover skillet; let cook for 30 minutes (the chicken will be cooked through but not crispy). Remove cover, raise heat again and continue to fry until crispy.
  4. Drain the fried chicken on paper towels. Depending on how much chicken you have, you may have to fry in a few shifts. Keep the finished chicken in a slightly warm oven while preparing the rest.

**Notes: Marinate the chicken for a few hours before frying. With a little salt, pepper and paprika. If you're in a hurry far as dinner goes 10mins is just fine.
What if I don't have the cookie or tray will it be ok to use just a flat dish? Should I also make sure I cover it? Whenever I see the flour getting too pasty I always throw it out I didn't know it was the most important steps Thanks again hippie

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks again hippie
Yes, that will be fine dear and yes cover it. While I'm frying chicken I'll cover the chicken I've already fried. With a paper towel and foil just to get the oil from the top of the chicken. But you don't gotta do all that if you don't want too.

You're welcome

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Marinated Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • skewers

Directions
  • In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl, and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
  • Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade.
  • Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Peppered Shrimp Alfredo
Ingredients 12 ounces penne pasta
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, diced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (15 ounce) jar alfredo sauce
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 chopped parsley

Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.
  3. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's really simple sweetie. I'm always updating this, hopefully you'll find something simple to learn to cook.
I CAN cook hhun,am a typical Nigerian girl,mama raised me well(to a point)lol.but I vnt tried any of this foods listed to be honest that's y I sd so.btw love ur threads(d ones ve seen)vry informative

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I CAN cook hhun,am a typical Nigerian girl,mama raised me well(to a point)lol.but I vnt tried any of this foods listed to be honest that's y I sd so.btw love ur threads(d ones ve seen)vry informative
Lmao, okay sweetie! I'm always filled with recipes. Sharing is tummy fulfilling

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
What about Quinoa HippieNerd?? You ever make that?? Its a booger.........I'd just as well buy a box version and call it a day then put up the struggle of trying to create my own. If you have any easy recipes, throw them at me :chef:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What about Quinoa @HippieNerd?? You ever make that?? Its a booger.........I'd just as well buy a box version and call it a day then put up the struggle of trying to create my own. If you have any easy recipes, throw them at me
Yes, I'll post some simple recipes. Yes, I've made my own Quinoa before! I'd used to buy the box version, until I got tired of buying it! And wanted to see if I could make it from scratch on my own.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quinoa Tabbouleh INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced

Direction

Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
LITTLE QUINOA PATTIES

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1/2 cups/12 oz/340 g cooked quinoa, at room temperature
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
  • 1/3 cup/.5 oz /15 g finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup/.5 oz/15 g freshly grated Parmesan or Gruyère cheese
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup/3.5 oz /100 g whole grain bread crumbs, plus more if needed
  • Water, if needed
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or clarified butter

DIRECTIONS

Combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the chives, onion, cheese, and garlic. Add the bread crumbs, stir, and let sit for a few minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into twelve 1-inch/2.5cm thick patties. I err on the very moist side because it makes for a not-overly-dry patty, but you can add more bread crumbs, a bit at a time, to firm up the mixture, if need be. Conversely, a bit more beaten egg or water can be used to moisten the mixture.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat, add 6 patties, if they'll fit with some room between each, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms are deeply browned. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes and continue to cook until the patties are browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Alternatively, the quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days; you can cook patties to order, if you prefer.
To cook quinoa: Combine 2 cups/12 oz/340 g of well-rinsed uncooked quinoa with 3 cups / 700 ml water and 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, decrease the heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and you can see the little quinoa curlicues.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
LIME AND CHILLI FISH TACOS

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • 8 x 80g pieces firm white fish fillets, skin on
  • 8 butter lettuce leaves
  • 8 tortillas, warmed
  • 1 quantity lime and coriander tofu mayonnaise , lime wedges, sliced pickled jalapeño chillies and coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve

DIRECTIONS

Combine the chilli flakes, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. Coat both sides of the fish with the mixture. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the fish, in batches, for 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Divide the lettuce between the tortillas and top with the fish. Serve with the lime and coriander mayonnaise, lime wedges, jalapeños and coriander.

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
Quinoa Tabbouleh   INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Direction Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
You know I'm going to try this one Hippie :marchmellow: thank you!! Simple is good :icon_cheers:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts