Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for body wash and it came back with zero results???? I was amazed. So sorry to start a new thread if it's out there somewhere.

To date, I use Oil of Olay bar soap or something similar. My skin is extremely dry, needs exfolliation constantly, is crepe-y looking. I am doing the Obagi system for my face, neck and decollete, but I can't afford to use that stuff all over! I am 52 and am of the generation that never used sunscreen. (Don't yell at me. I punish myself daily already!!)

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bar soap has an extremely high pH and can be very drying to the skin. Your first step will need to be purchasing a liquid body wash - Dove has a great 'sensitive skin' version that is very moisturizing and fragrance free. You can purchase a body pouf to use with the liquid cleanser.

The second best thing to do is to get some sort of an exfoliating body lotion. They should have something at your local drugstore, just ask the pharmacist. One to look for is AmLactin or Lachydrin. They both have lactid acid in them which is exfoliating and very moisturizing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Totally agree with the liquid body wash advice! Bar soap will dry your skin out more than anything. Make sure your not using anything with an ingredient actually called "soap" you can check the ingredients on the bottle before purchasing, soap is extremely drying and damaging to the skin.

As far as exfoliation goes the poufs work great but i like to use my hands so i had a small amount of sugar (yes cane sugar you would add to food) to my squirt of body wash to create an exfoliating effect this way I can skip days, and adjust how much exfoliation I want to do. I know it sounds nuts but sugar is actually anti bacterial so it wont clog your pores like most people would assume and best of all its cheap! I keep a small gladware container of sugar in my bathroom for purpose.

Hempz (by Supre) makes a fantastic daily moisturizer to help with your crepe-y ness. You can find it at any local beauty supply or Trade Secret store. Often times you will also see the line at your local tanning salon, or ask your hair stylist how you can get your hands on a bottle. If you dont have a cosmetology license to receive a discount @ beauty supply stores it will run about $20 per 12 oz. bottle but trust me, its worth it! There are no fillers (unnecessary ingredients to make a small amount of product into a large amount) no man made oils or anything that will clog pores, I put it on my face when really dry. And its the most moisturizing lotion I have ever found, it lasts all day and keeps my chest looking young and fresh (I use tanning beds) where I used to have skin firming treatments.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ladies! I will check all this out! I appreciate all your input.

I used to use a sugar exfolliator from Bed, Bath and Beyond. A sugar scrub it was called. I loved it. I had forgotten all about it till you mentioned it!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ooooh yes I love sugar scrubs. My fave is from Bath and Body works. It's their aromatherapy line. A little pricey at $20 but it is oil based so it leaves my skin soooo soft and moisturized.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use Bath & Body's I'm in the Mood for Scrub. It's a great body exfoliator with Shea butter. After that I use the AmLactin 12% lotion. It really has made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But what do you guys use daily for a body cleanser in the shower?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Ooooh yes I love sugar scrubs. My fave is from Bath and Body works. It's their aromatherapy line. A little pricey at $20 but it is oil based so it leaves my skin soooo soft and moisturized.
FRESH's Brown Sugar Scrub is good enough to eat! If you scroll down the ingredients are listed. Raw sugar comes in large granules and would be perfect for this if you wanted to make it yourself:

Sephora: Fresh Products: Brown Sugar Body Polish Treatments at Sephora.com: Body Scrubs & Exfoliants

Careful tho - it's slippery in the shower.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use Oil of Olay's Body Wash for dry skin...it has shea butter. I alternative between the body wash and the scrub. I would say it depends on my skin and the weather.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will get the oil of olay and the scrubs! I love this place! Why try to reinvent he wheel when we have so many professionals here????!! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use 100% Pure shower gels and when my skin gets dry I use a loofah. I also really like the Bath and Body works shower gels. I love the scents - makes me happy in the morning
which makes my family happy too as I am NOT a morning person at all!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The least expensive yet perfect solution.....microfiber wash cloth and Cetapil....or my personal fav....body wash by Dermalogica. Do not get hooked on store body washes...the more you use them the more you need them. They have ingrediants that actualy dry the skin making you feel the need to use even more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My eldest daughter has severe eczema and both mine and my youngest daughter's skin is extremely dry. We are having amazing success with St Ives Oatmeal and Shea shower wash! Not the lotion as it has fragrance and mineral oil that hurts eczema. It really is moisturising in the shower for me and my skin feels very smooth at the mo. As a cheap and cheerful scrub once a week I use table salt and Extra Virgin Olive oil just on my body in the shower while my hair soaks up a hair mask. I'm super smooth afterwards and my wallet is happy too!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Dove Extra Moisturizing with Nutrium has changed the way my skin feels completely! I don't even need body lotion after I use it, it's so rich. It sudses well so I still feel clean.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use Pure & Natural body wash, which is 98% organic(idk if the 2% could be terrible?). i didnt buy this product based on its "grade" i really like this body wash cuz it smells SO good and leaves skin soft and moisturized. its a little runny. i use a loofah with it. it claims to have exfoliating beads but its nothing compared to a scrub. iv been using it about 2 months. olay is a really nice body wash too, my mother who has really dry skin SWEARS by olay products for her dry, sensitive Scandinavian skin.

anyone make homemade scrubs? love this! i am a little cheep when it comes to buying things that u can do/make yourself. so i take cup brown sugar, tsp of almond & olive oil, few drop of rose and like 1/4 cup of honey. wooooow!, never have the back of my thighs been so smooth! i love this for all over my body.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts