Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- I'm new to the forum, maybe someone can help me.

The problem I have is that my scalp will develop red (smooth) blotches, usually about the size of a dime. Initially they are painful to touch; in a day or two the blotch becomes raised -- there can be one or several sores at a time. They disappear in a week or two. I can be clear of the problem for weeks but they can return with a vengeance.

I've been to doctors and they can't seem to diagnose the problem. Pills and creams have not worked.

The problem blotches have not spread to other areas. I'm starting to lose hair too.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a face lift 2 years ago. I also had my forehead lifted and since then I've had the same problem with bumps on my scalp. Wish someone could tell us what it is. I wash my hair every other day. I too, am losing hair on one side of my head above my ear.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Are they small like pimples or bigger like you hit your head with something?

From your initial descriptions, it sounds like folliculitis, which is kinda like acne, but in this case there is a baterial infection in the hair follicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Freddy for answering. What should I do to cure this menacing problem? Some bumps are larger than others. Also, the bump sometimes hurts if I touch it. I've never heard of such a thing. I do notice my hair thinning on the right side of my face. Any suggestions? Have you heard of skin biology products?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freddy & barbier47 --- I've had this scalp problem now for over 2 years. When I first went to my GP he thought it could be folliculitis -- even though it didn't look like the typical case. He sent me to a Dermatologist who never made a diagnosis but prescribed a topical lotion. Didn't work. Back to the Dermatologist who now prescribed antibiotics -- worked after taking them daily for 3 months but I became concerned what taking these pills were doing to my immune system. Back to my GP -- agreed with me about stopping the antibiotics. He then suggested I stop using the organic shampoos I had been using and start with a harsh shampoo such as Head and Shoulders. Initially it worked -- double shampoo or daily shampoo. I am still have bouts of whatever this condition is, but not as frequent -- no positive diagnosis yet-- and now I swab peroxide on the bumps which seems to lessen the problem as well. My symtoms are very similar to barbier47. I've started a regime of multivitamins too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quit often when unusual skin conditions occur it can be a symptom of something systemic. Go get full round of blood and urine tests. If it is foliculitis, this is very contagious and it a result of staph infection, which is very serious. It can lead to furnacles or carbuncles which are very painful and can make you very sick. Also, if meds havent worked try going to a holistic doctor. I had a wonderful instructor in esthetic school who firmly believed anything unusual on the skin is a result of toxins in blood, bladder or intestines. She had great success with her clients when they would do a whole body cleanse once or twice a year. Also consider the possiblility of a parasite. Scabies or ringworm can be very hard to kill. How is your overall health and lifestyle? Do you have any other symptoms while having the break outs?, fever, chills?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mari, Georgia and Freddy, Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in good health. I'm 61, don't color my hair. But I am a smoker. I noticed this problem about 6 months after a face lift. The doctor did a brow lift. At first my scalp felt tight but then I started getting these bumps. Some small and some quite big and painful to the touch. Some will pop if I squeeze them. Seems like just water comes out then it scabs. I'm losing hair. I'll go to anyone you all can suggest, such as derm, hollistic practioner. I'm worried this will cause permanent hair loss. What about minoxidil?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gerogia -- I agree with your comments -- however I was disapointed at what I thought was a brush off by the dermatologist. I tried to trace back when I had my first outbreak and began to think it was a new hairdresser I was going to -- I was somewhat concerned about the cleanliness of the premises (not going there any longer). No holistic doctor in my area -- the body cleanse you use -- is it prescribed or over the counter? I do feel unwell prior to a breakout and usually have major headaches. The condition is very painful.

Barbier 47 -- for heaven's sake don't pop or squeeze the lesions -- the infection could spread or become worse. there is quite a bit of information on minoxidil on the internet.

Prior to using Head and Shoulders I looked up "pyrithione zinc" and found it was used for controlling strep, staph infections as well as psoriasis and eczema. As a teenager I used zinc ointment for acne. Probably this condition should be treated internally as well as externally.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Head and Shoulders is well known for their magic of pyrithione zinc. In fact, someone on here is using it on their face to control acne, apparently with some success. I think that Georgia is on the right track and that you need to find out what the issue is with you internally. Treat the condition and not the symptoms you know.

I'd heed Mari's warning and not touch the bumps. It will definately make things worse. If you feel you a little more than your doctor with regards to this condition, seek the advice of one or more doctors. Doctors aren't perfect you know.

Perhaps you should try some calamine lotion on them to see if that helps any. Try it on one and see if it works, then more from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mari, Georgia and Freddy, Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in good health. I'm 61, don't color my hair. But I am a smoker. I noticed this problem about 6 months after a face lift. The doctor did a brow lift. At first my scalp felt tight but then I started getting these bumps. Some small and some quite big and painful to the touch. Some will pop if I squeeze them. Seems like just water comes out then it scabs. I'm losing hair. I'll go to anyone you all can suggest, such as derm, hollistic practioner. I'm worried this will cause permanent hair loss. What about minoxidil?
Definately go back to the surgeon!. You may have picked up an infection, of course he probably wont admit to that, but it may be a common thing and he can help. If he is resistant, that may show his neglegence and see if another plastic surgeon would give a second opinion. You must go and get a blood test. I cant stress this enough that this could be something internal. It could also be a form of dermatitis called phytophoto dermatitis. It results from a certain product coming into contact with the sun. It can cause blistering and itching. Rather than something harsh on the scalp, try something gentle. the combo of some harsh chemicals and the sun can be rough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
gerogia -- I agree with your comments -- however I was disapointed at what I thought was a brush off by the dermatologist. I tried to trace back when I had my first outbreak and began to think it was a new hairdresser I was going to -- I was somewhat concerned about the cleanliness of the premises (not going there any longer). No holistic doctor in my area -- the body cleanse you use -- is it prescribed or over the counter? I do feel unwell prior to a breakout and usually have major headaches. The condition is very painful.

Barbier 47 -- for heaven's sake don't pop or squeeze the lesions -- the infection could spread or become worse. there is quite a bit of information on minoxidil on the internet.

Prior to using Head and Shoulders I looked up "pyrithione zinc" and found it was used for controlling strep, staph infections as well as psoriasis and eczema. As a teenager I used zinc ointment for acne. Probably this condition should be treated internally as well as externally.
I would not be surprised if you picked up staph or a parasite from the dirty hairdresser. The fact that you are feeling unwell is a sure sign. As mentioned before folliculitis can turn into furnacles or carbuncles and can be accompanied by fever, headache and generally feeling unwell. The antibiotics may not have been strong enough. Some antibiotics like amoxicillan are very mild and todays infections are immune to them. Yet amox is what docs perscribe the most. It has very few side affects and can cure mild colds or flu. Please insist on a full blood test. Test for staph, lupus, and herpes zoster (please dont be alarmed, many people have herpes zoster, its a mild form and if anyone has had a cold sore, they have herpes zoster, it is also can be irraticated from your system).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. So far this month I've been 2 weeks clear of any infection. I was wondering about food allergies or some sort of deficiency. Stress? It only started when I moved to a new town -- which I don't like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. So far this month I've been 2 weeks clear of any infection. I was wondering about food allergies or some sort of deficiency. Stress? It only started when I moved to a new town -- which I don't like.
That is very interesting that it started when you moved. Stress does play a factor. Years ago I moved from Canada to the US south and got a terrible rash on my forehead. The doc seemed to think I was adjusting to my new situation and new atmosphere (it is very humid in the south). It took time and I used some herbal remedies for stress, St Johns Wort and Valarian, but it did go away. Im just concerned about the fact that you feel unwell before a breakout. That to me sounds more internal issues. Food allergies can come up in many ways, you may want to get tested for that and definatley get a blood test for any deficiencys.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was clear for 2-3 weeks and felt great then at the beginning of this week two outbreaks occurred. I feel like I'm going around in circles -- if stress started this problem I'm now stressed out because of this condition. It may be a staph infection(and I'm cleansing the area even when I don't have breakouts) but I'm inclined to think it's internal. I asked my doctor for a complete blood test (said I would pay) but he said it wasn't necessary. I have food allergies but I'm careful in staying away from food that have been identified as triggers. I can't find anything on the internet that matches my condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was clear for 2-3 weeks and felt great then at the beginning of this week two outbreaks occurred. I feel like I'm going around in circles -- if stress started this problem I'm now stressed out because of this condition. It may be a staph infection(and I'm cleansing the area even when I don't have breakouts) but I'm inclined to think it's internal. I asked my doctor for a complete blood test (said I would pay) but he said it wasn't necessary. I have food allergies but I'm careful in staying away from food that have been identified as triggers. I can't find anything on the internet that matches my condition.
I cannot believe your doc did that!. How can he refuse you. You need to insist or find a new doc. That is ridiciulous. Im so sorry you were treated like that. If it is staph, be sure you are put on strong antibiotics, it is hard to kill, as I mentioned before. Be careful cleansing the area, staph can spread and dont use anything to harsh.
Your doc is fired!!!. It makes me so angry, it just seems like they just want to get you in and out of thier office asap.
My heart goes out to you. I just noticed you are from Ontario, I am too, but I live in New Zealand now. Keep me updated

·
Registered
16 Posts
LICHEN PLANUS
Lichen Planus inflammatory disorder that can cause bald scarring patches on the scalp. Itchy, reddish purple or scaly patches form on the scalp. Treatment must be thorough and immediate to prevent scarring which will cause permanent balding. The most common treatment involves topical steroids or scalp steroid injections.

DISCOID LUPUS ERYTHEMATOTUS (DLE)
Discoid Lupus Erythematotus is a skin autoimmune disease which also often affects the scalp causing bald, scaly red patches and often permanent hair loss. DLE should be treated immediately to prevent permanent hair loss.

Anything familiar?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Georgia, thanks for your comments. My problem is that I live in a very small town and I don't have a doctor here so I have to travel to the doctor I had where I lived before (about an hour away). There is a chronic shortage of doctors here. So one has to live with the diagnosis they make -- or find and travel to a private clinic. I don't have any scaling and no pus but since I have been cleansing the areas every day with hydrogine proxide it isn't a cure but it's keeping it under control. This makes me think it is a staph infection. I'm looking up various sites to see if I can find any pictures of a similar problem without success. I'm going to ask for a referral to another dermatologist that moved into the area. I would ignore it except for the pain and the possibility that it will eventually spread to another area of my body. Thanks again for your help and concern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts