Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years, I have had red, blotchy cheeks. It's not rosacea. I have tried several different rosacea treatments that haven't helped at all. I am in my teens. I try to wear foundation whenever I can, but I would like a more permanent treatment so that I don't have to deal with this problem on a day-to-day basis. It's painful knowing that everyone else has such beautiful smooth skin while I have to try to hide mine every day. I'm not lucky to have "natural blush," because it's just a blotchy mess that runs down my cheeks. Some days it is worse than others. A few triggers seem to be when I wash my face (even if I use cool water, mild soap and DON'T even touch my cheeks), when my cheeks are touched/rubbed, when I am anxious, or when I am embarrassed. Once it starts, it lasts all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have also found that staying on the computer for a while affects them. In addition, they may flare up for no particular (known) reason at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH. Yes.

Those do contribute, but I don't always get them. Or rather, my cheeks don't only turn red when I am flushed.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hmm..this probably falls under the category of "Sensitive Skin". You already know what the triggers are, good for you!, I guess you just have to work around it if it isn't too distressing.

Any certain foods trigger it - spicy, salty, hot? Alcohol?

The computer screen, is it LCD or the CRT kind? The CRTs put out more radiation and that could be a factor. Maybe put on a protective screen over the computer screen. Computer stores should know what you need.

Are there lights in your environment that irritate your skin? Can you change to the low intensity CFBs?

Soaps? Dryer softener sheets? Cosmetics? Medications?
Can you switch to a silk pillowcase?

Just brainstorming here with you...I don't mean to fire a ton of questions at you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I probably do just have very sensitive skin. I just wish that I knew ALL the factors, or at least found a way that would toughen up/protect my skin and get rid of the red.

No foods seem to have affected it so far.

As far as the computer screen, it is LCD. I have been reducing the brightness level to see if that helps.

Every soap or face cleanser I have used irritates them. I will have to try a silk pillowcase. I've used satin, but that didn't seem to help.

No no, thank you for paying mind and ideas.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, if you've tried everything else, have you tried TCM? Traditional Chinese Medicine aims to balance the 3 elements of the body, Yin, Yang and Shen. If you are red, you might have too much Yang. Are you hot all the time - that could be one clue?

I'm not an expert in TCM at all! Just curious.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
O, nevermind then! I was thinking of some of the Anti-Redness moisturizers out now. If you scour the drugstores and even the Clinique counter there are lots devoted to the redness problem.

Must be a lot of ppl have the same problem, but who knows why! Is anyone else in your family like that???

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I see.

Yes, actually. My older brother has this problem too. My mother has rosacea, but rosacea doesn't run in the family. My brother and I are certain we don't have rosacea because the symptoms don't apply to us, and rosacea treatments have failed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I should go. I keep procrastinating on making an appointment, haha. Until then, I suppose foundation will do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts