Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm a 26 year-old male and recently a non-smoker. Over the last 2-3 months I have become more focused on moisturizing and skincare. I've tried a moisturizer with cucumber and another product (not sure if I can mention products here) that is/was "touted" by Jessica Simpson.

Using these I've noticed red marks on my cheeks and forehead. Cessation of these products does not seem to stop the marks. I'm fair-skinned and have "strong" facial hair (and a permanent shadow) and until recently only shaved once a week. I'm hoping that quitting smoking will help remedy this redness and help even the tone of my skin, though I'm uncertain if I should cease these products or what I should be considering. I went to a dermatologist who "didn't see" what I was talking about. However several of my friends have noticed this. Perhaps this means the severity of the redness changes daily. I do flush easily, tend to sweat alot when exercising/laboring and had only mild acne as a teenager.

Not sure what else to mention. If anyone can help lead me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've lived in the same climate for 20 years, so I doubt it's purely the climate. No other suggestions, ideas, thoughts? This has been a worry for quite a long time and I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
do you think it might be rosacea? I think you should find a better dermatologist who will take it more seriously instead of blowing it off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"... and recently a non-smoker. Over the last 2-3 months I have become more focused on moisturizing and skincare."

John, it sounds to me like you have been making a lot of changes in your life. Sometimes all these changes we make to our routines, and the products we use, can cause our skin to become irritated. It sounds to me like those red blotches are your body's reaction to all of those changes.
Proactiv is the product that Jessica Simpson represents, and while it has been shown to be effective with moderate to severe acne I think it may be much harsher than what your skin needs. People with fair skin also tend to have sensitive skin. I recommend discontinuing their use and switching to gentler products more suited to maintaining already clear skin. Choose products that are non-comedogenic (it should say on the bottle) and alcohol free. I recommend using a cleanser, a toner, and a very light moisturizer. You should always be gentle when you handle your skin, avoid over exfoliation (avoid walnut shell powder and those apricot scrubs), and do NOT use hot hot water in your shower or when you wash your face. The steam from a normal shower is enough to open your pores sufficiently for normal cleansing and always rinse with cold water. Be consistent and use the products for a few weeks at the least. Pay attention to the needs of your skin; it will let you know when you are using the wrong product, so if your irritation gets worse discontinue its use immediately and switch to something else.
John, I know its hard to look in the mirror and be happy with your appearance when you see imperfections, but the effects of stress on your hormones can make things worse. My biggest advice is to have faith that they'll go away soon and focus on being happy with who you are on the inside. If all this fails, or if it gets significantly worse, then you need to go to another dermatologist. Take care and GREAT luck! -Lee!

·
Registered
60 Posts
"... and recently a non-smoker. Over the last 2-3 months I have become more focused on moisturizing and skincare."

John, I know its hard to look in the mirror and be happy with your appearance when you see imperfections, but the effects of stress on your hormones can make things worse. My biggest advice is to have faith that they'll go away soon and focus on being happy with who you are on the inside.

Well said!

We all look like what we feel. I used to look so UGLY in the past and people even thinks I went into plastic surgery but I didn't. I am 100% natural, 100% sexy (laughs).

My nose used to look so big but it looks pointed now and I am getting towards my best image. I just believe in myself that my imperfections will go away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but our minds really is a very powerful thing.

Like attracts like. We become what we always put our minds into. That is the principle and the law of attraction. We don't really need to be perfect to the people we love and loves us bcoz in their eyes we mean everything...

YouTube - The Attic - In Your Eyes (Live at Nyhetsmorgon 2007)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used Proactive also. It seems like it works by just drying out your skin. I like Clenziderm by Obagi. It works sort of on the same principle. However, it penetrates much deeper into your skin and so it is a lot more effective. Also, after the first week, I didn't have any dryness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the response by Topical Living. Another product I might mention is "Avene". This is made in France and is formulated specifically for sensitive, hypersensitive, allergic and irritated skin. A few years back I became reactive (burning sensation on my face) to almost every product I used. I tried this and it certainly calmed everything down. I used it for about 2 years and now, I don't experience those problems anymore.
It might work for you.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wouldn't trust any skincare product sold by Jessica Simpson, she doesn't exactly have the best skin around. HAhaha.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi John. Congrats on quitting smoking!

I recently started using kukui nut oil on my acne prone skin and it really cleared up some unidentified red patches on my face. In some areas, it looked like perma-flush (I'm very fair also) and then around my mouth it almost looked like flat acne or a rash that wouldn't go away. I am really surprised how well the kukui nut oil has worked for me. Perhaps something to keep in mind.

I agree with the others that if this continues to be a problem, you should see another dermatologist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts