Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

when looking for oils for my face is it better to go for refined or unrefined oils? i'm thinking about buying avocado oil to use around my eyes..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I agree.
Raw organic cold-pressed unrefined oils lack the chemicals used to refine them. duh!
The cold-pressing keeps the heat that would be used to process the oils from destroying any enzymes and other good things in the oils.
If they are grown organically you can be sure you aren't putting pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilizers on your skin. Who needs that? Fine oils are a little luxury so why not get the very best you can find.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I apologise in advance if this is a really dumb question but when for example an oil like jojoba is sometimes called a "carrier oil" is it different to when it is called cold pressed virgin or unrefined?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No. Carrier oils or base oils are used mostly in aromatherapy to dilute essential oils as most essential oils are too volatile to be used on skin on their own (in worst case you can get chemical burns).
Refined/unrefined/cold pressed refers to the extraction method that was used to obtain the oil, not to what function the oil is going to have.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Unrefined..which likely means its all natural. When it is refined, that means it is not whole, that there was likely extraction of nutrients and other good stuff for your skin. Also, sometimes when skin oils are refined, they might add other ingredients that dilute its effectiveness. Hope that helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts