Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oils I'm most interested in these days are rosehip seed oil and pomegranat seed oil. They really show fantastic results in test on a range of different skin issues.

I don't have much wrinkles or dry skin my self, but I do have some freckles I wonder if really are more like skin damage and hyperpigmentation. Hard to tell really, my freckles don't differ that much from general skin color.

However, the last two weeks a few things have happened that made me focus yet again on these oils. My younger sister was diagnosed with skin cancer and had two spots removed. Docotors told her she is fine and not to worry, but still to be careful and check regularly for similar skin changes. My mother is complaing about dry patches on her skin, both arms and face, and I cannot help worry a bit. I am planning to push some of these oils on them.

Sundamage come in many forms, wrinkles, both hypo and hyper pigmentation, dry spots, rough skin, loss of skintone, elasticity, dry itchy skin, the list is endless.

I would love to know if any of you with more experience than I, have tried these oils, and I am hoping that any of you in the 50's, 60's ++ can shed some light on the effectivness of these oils. Experiences from any age are of interest really.

I am looking for some basic ingredients that can be used in both face and body to rejuvenate skin and reverse these very common skin problems. My goal is to find something that in 3-6 months time will reverse these types of skin changes as close to 100% as possible, and give back soft and comfortable skin.

I am also searching for ingredients that will enhance the effects of any oil, lotion or cream based on rosehip og pomegranate oil. So far I have been focusing on the oil soluble actives like anti-oxidants and vitamins. Plant extracts and peptides that can help nurish skin further are mostly water soluable and I must choose rather strategically. I hope to make an effective and easy to follow recipe for a lotion, cream or oil.

I would be very gratefull for any thoughts on this project :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My grandmother used to mix glycerin and rosewater and that was the only moisturizer she used -- her skin was fantastic -- maybe good genes (which she didn't pass on to me).

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Actually that's not a bad thing! Glycerine is a humectant, so it draws moisture to the skin, and rosewater softens, so no doubt she was lovely! And I think you probably are too, but are just modest!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Actually that's not a bad thing! Glycerine is a humectant, so it draws moisture to the skin, and rosewater softens, so no doubt she was lovely! And I think you probably are too, but are just modest!
My grandmother was a lady, and she was gorgeous. It's a good thing I look like my dad 'cause no one else has reddish blonde hair (different colour now), freckles, allergies, or severe teen age acne .... should I go on? Mind you, my skin started to improve when I was in my 40s.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi girls,

I have started using rosehip seed oil since last couple of days and I've noticed some small pimples appearing on my face especially on my forehead and cheeks. Just wanted to check if this is normal?? Should I continue using it and wait for these pimples to subside?
I would appreciate your advice.

Additional info: I've got sensitive and oily skin.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
No personally i stop using this if you get any thing on your skin from a product you not had before stop using it!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Dunno. Lately, I have been using quite a lot of new products including my DIY stuffs around same time I started the rosehip oil. Not too sure what is causing the pimples!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Pumi you should really do some research before using too much on your face firstly cause if you are then this is prob causing the pimples and also if can over moisturize your face leading 2 probs with it too! If you are gonna diy you should find products you like try them out first and then copy then, especially if you have acne this could do more than good luck!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not unlikely that oils will trigger any latent acne, many advice against rosehip oil for this type of skin. However not everybody reacts to the rosehip oil, or almond oil for that matter in the same way. Some find that these oils improve their acne conditions, especially in a routine that targets clogged pores. It is one of those things you just have to try on your skin and see how you react. Jojoba oil is suppose to be better for acne prone skin, because it technically is a liquid wax it will not make the inflamation causing bacteria to act up.

If you have normal to oily skin you can get away with using an oil free moisturizers, but for DIY skin care you have to focus on the water soluble ingredients, hyaluronic acid, peptides, and plant derived extracts that nurish the skin.

I am trying to target skin that is a bit on the dry side and to have a chance at reversal of sun damages it seams I have to use oils. Many of the active ingredients in skin care are only oil-soluble. Another thing, the science on rose hip oil and pomegranate oil as pure oils is very promising.

I have tried argan oil twice and I was very disapointed. The first time I ordered it I thought it might be something wrong with it, because of the smell. But the second bottle from a different source smelled just as bad, and I mean really bad! I bought pure argan oil and not a blend. Have any of you found a better version of this? ...please tell me where you found it. I am really reluctant to try it again.

Flax seed oil have also shown to improve skin, in Australia it as been shown that pure flax seed oil can reverse some types of sun-damages. Cold pressed flax seed oil is best, and most flax seed oil in the stores are cold pressed. Some times heat is used to get more oil from the seeds/fruits, but mostly cold pressed are considered the best. Flax seed oil comes in a boiled version too, but that is mostly for paints, windows, and boats ;-)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, when I start writing I cannot stop!

Thanks for all the in-put :) I have to experiment a bit with the glycerin, it is supose to help any lotion / cream emulsify too. One problem I have is that all most anything I add to the oils or creams make them slightly more gritty or just not as smooth and lightly absorbed by the skin as the pure oil. Anti-oxydands are an exeption, but the really potant ones like astaxantin (spelling?) and idebenon tend to be very orange.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks for input about flaxseed oils im gonna check at health food store to make sure i get coldpressed one as never thought about different versions of this!

Argon is becoming popular i noticed in many anti aging ingrendients and also myrtle leaf! However i have not tryed these yet and personally would like to but i suppose a smell would put me off, but keep us informed if you do manage to diy anything!

Red grape is also meant to be good antioxident from what i have heard too and sirtuin is meant to be good skin repair!

So far the diy thing is still a bit confusing for me personally! However though i dont think it is wise to use too many oils on the face as oils i think can easily clog up pores! However a cream which i could either make up myself with a thick enough consistency for dry skin or good store bought one i would buy! Oh if only! How much it does for anti aging though is another thing im not sure about!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All evidence point in the right direction, both rosehip oil and pomegranate will improve sun-damaged skin noticably. However if you use very good and nurishing products all ready it might not make much of a difference. Few skin care ingredients have as good a scientific support as these two oils.

Personally I find pure rosehip oil no problem on my skin. I have combinational skin, and an oily T-zone. With my weekly salicylic/lacitc peel some oil and lipids do wonders for my skin. Rosehip oil alone is softening and sort of vigiorates. It is the lightest oil I have tried so far, absorbs well and leave very little residue on the skin surface, but as you mention it is all ways possible to use too much. Rosehip oil will never clogg pores, but can agravate the bacteria in all ready clogged pores.

I do have a problem with the DIY creams; they work, and really show a fantastic improvement on different skin conditions, but are very hard to make them feel smooth and comfortable. They are not as luxurious and soft as Clarins', which I really like in that way.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi girls,

I have started using rosehip seed oil since last couple of days and I've noticed some small pimples appearing on my face especially on my forehead and cheeks. Just wanted to check if this is normal?? Should I continue using it and wait for these pimples to subside?

Cheers.
Pumi
Rosehip Seed Oil is more for dry mature skin.
Hazelnut oil or Seabuckthorn oil would be a better choice for oily skin.
Mountainroseherb.com has an extensive list of oils and their uses and properties.
hth

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I agree clarins do make good products, but however lancome think are more advanced with anti aging though!

Just wondering if i have my gylcerin and oils and anti aging supplements does anyone else know what else i would need to make think anti aging moistuizing, at the mo they dont seem to either moistuizer my skin well enough what im using or are not thick enough for me?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
NY
You could try applying your oils or moisturizers upon moist skin to seal in the moisture.
A good trick is to spritz your face with mineral water during the day and pat on a couple drops of your oil or moisturizer.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your skin might need moisture, in other words, water. In young skin often all is neded are some lipids that nurish, make up a protective barrier and carry some anti-oxidants, but if you are a litle older you need to add something more: hyaluronic acid, and a few ingredients that make up a waterbased part of the cream. Ceramides and other lipids can also bring a moisturizing feeling to the skin. There are some salts that holds moisture well, I don't remember their names right now, I shall have to come back to that. Depending on skin conditions, hyaluronic acid can be very beneficial for very young skin too.

IluvNY; do you have a favorite Clarins or Lancome cream?

I am thinking of parting my facial cream step in two; first a water based serum with hyaluronic acid, and then a very light type of face oil with oil soluble actives.

·
Administrator
33,772 Posts
Hi girls,

Cheers.
Pumi- what is your regimen right now? Wash, tone, then what? If it were me, and I had oily skin, I don't think I would apply any oils on my skin when you are acne prone. If you feel like you need too, I would apply jojoba or emu oil and in just a very small amount. Like dab my finger in it, and then apply that. Being acne prone myself, I have to really be careful what I use on my face. It is the smallest things that could cause a break out, and those are no fun at all!! I'm sorry your not having a very good skin day
we will try and get you sorted out.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts