Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here, and here's what's been troubling me.

I have many black spots on my body that have appeared over time, and its commonly referred to as 'moles', but its just the skin surface type of skin pigmentation, and not the big hairy type.

I have quite a few on my face, and while its not harmful or anything, its affecting my self confidence.

Is it possible to get something cheap from Guardian or other local pharmaceutical company (I'm a student, so not much money
) that works to lighten or, even better, remove these spots ? I have heard of stuff like hydroxy quinone and glycolic acid, but could anyone tell me a specific brand that works?

Thanks y'all!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi!
Well, moles by any other name are "beauty marks"!!!
The only thing I know of to remove moles is to have a Dr excise them if you want to get rid of them! Plus you want to have them checked on a routine basis for any changes. Go to the Student Health Service, if you have one, for advice. But no I don't think any skin lighteners would help with moles, unless they are really freckles instead.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Skylive,

I do not mean to alarm you, but I've been under regular derm care for 5 years to monitor my various "spots" as I've had melanoma.

The ones the Doc is most concerned about are the flat DARK ones - esp if they are larger than the head of an eraser or have any irregularity in the boarder.

If you are concerned about your spots, you should ask you GP to refer you to a dermatologist to have them all checked out.

I personally wouldn't recommend trying to lighten these dark moles as I'd be concerned about altering them should they grow or change to be of concern/cancerous. I wouldn't want to lighten a dark spot for esthetic reasons, then miss an early diagnosis of something medical.
Just my opinion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I guess you are right (fawnie), and they are essentially 'beauty marks'. But I did check with my GP while going for a routine blood test today. He said that they weren't the malignant type of spots, but also said that that a dermatologist could give better advice. I think I might pop by one of them sometime just to make sure that everything is fine.

Thanks you two

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its absolutely random:

Sky - came from the chicken little movie: "the SKY is falling" . I thought it was kinda catchy..

Live - I use hotmail / Windows LIVE mail.

My favourite quote + something that I use everyday = Skylive

lame huh? How bout' you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again,

Before, I go visit a derm which could be some time later due to intensive studies, can I just check with you guys once more? I have posted 2 images of my 'beauty spots', so can someone take a look to see if there's anything I can do about them?

I can't post links as I'm a new member but here it is: yfrog.com/0ncimg0117hjx

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have noticed some small dark spots on my face lately esp my nose and my cheeks. I am not sure if they are age spots. They did appear when I was in the sun for too long. My doctor says they are freckles. Can freckles be lightened?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Since using REtin A, my mother has noticed that several of her moles have dried up & exfoliated away! WOOHOO! She was going to have them zapped by a derm. with a laser. This is much less aggressive & more economical.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's wonderful, Ondine. An extra added bonus: no wrinkles, no moles! I wonder if they were actinic keratoses and just flaked off...has she been in the sun much?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Not really. She rollerblades very early in the am & wears sunscreen. When she was a child, though, sunscreen didn't exist so the moles & discolourations probably stem from sun damage she got as a young girl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts