Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

i've been reader of this site for a long time but this will be my first post. I'm a 28 yo man and i'm thinking about making my own vit C serum and start using retin A or retin A micro. so i wonder if you think it's too soon to start using retin A?

another thing.. has anyone from Australia ordered retin A from ADC? If so, did you have any problems getting it through customs?

thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site! I don't think it's too soon, seems to me if you want to keep the wrinkles at bay as long as you can I would start now. But the first line of prevention is SPF and don't forget it. Whatever you do may get undone by the sun, so invest in a good sunblock. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
If I had known about it at 28 I know I would have used it. I say go4it

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I'm 23 and I use retinol, not Retin-A, but still it improves my skin. Less and less blackheads and skin looks so much better, I notice a lot of improvement in my eye area, skin almost fills out from within. I don't use it every night, but it still works wonders.
And I'm planing to add Vitamin C serum to my routine.
Maybe someday I have the skin of a teenager.
And if retinol stops working for me, well, there is always a something else, AHA, BHA, TCA, copper peptides and new anti-aging stuff comes out every year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
its only u who can decide as u know ur skin better. in my views at 28 with normally healthy skin u don't need to go for it unless u really need it. the best anti aging routine for this age in my opinion is to use cleanser, toner, moistuizer n sun sreen daily, exfoliate 1-2 times a week or on alternate days, facials and/or light microdermabrassion twice a month. also i'm recently getting in love with oil cleansing plus dry brushing. u can also do light lunch time peels once a month to freshen n rejuvenate urself.
but if u feel ur skin is aging too fast u might wanna go for it. ever since i came to this site i'm feeling the pressure of using Retin A too
but then i'm much older than 28. i'm however planning to start with Retinol n vit C soon n i'll do it on alternate days only.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i think i'll give it a go. would you recommend the regular formula or the micro?

thanks a lot everyone.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Since you say you've been a reader for a long time, I assume you've seen this link. Use Retinoids the Right Way
Follow it closely while using Tretinoin for good results. And if you've read any of my posts.....you'll know I'm going to say make sure your using a great sunscreen and using it properly everyday.

I'd personally just get the regular gel Tretinoin from allday. Maybe get a couple of 0.25% tubes and the rest 0.05% tubes to start out with......after your skin adjust to it well......0.05% thereafter.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Tom I would get a micro fiber cloth to exfoliate your skin because you will get the flakies from the RA. Find a moisturizer that agrees with your skin type. Are you dry or oily? The RA will make you a bit drier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will order the micro fiber cloth from ncn. i just have to make up my mind on what else to buy from there. i have set my mind on doing some DIY stuff so will make sure i only have to order from the same supplier once (to begin with), since shipping to Australia will be pretty expensive.

i would probably say i have a normal skin type. it can get oily at the end of the day but at the same time it feels dry when i get out of the shower and not putting on moisturizer.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Oh DO get the pumpkin pro peel. It is nice! Gives smooth rosy skin. Not much sting

·
Registered
100 Posts
I found out that Retin A is a the treatment of choice for comedonal acne, or whiteheads and blackheads- how about a 13 yrs old teenager? Is it ok for him/her?

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I found out that Retin A is a the treatment of choice for comedonal acne, or whiteheads and blackheads- how about a 13 yrs old teenager? Is it ok for him/her?
I would not recommend Retin A for a 13 year old teenager. There are SO many other topicals out there you can try before having to go the Retin A route. 13 yrs old in my opinion is WAY too young.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Gymrat. Do you use Retin-A under your day and night cream? I've just ordered xtend-life day and night cream and i use a rosehip oil usually under my moisturiser. Is retin-A like that?

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thanks Gymrat. Do you use Retin-A under your day and night cream? I've just ordered xtend-life day and night cream and i use a rosehip oil usually under my moisturiser. Is retin-A like that?
No, when I use Retin-A, I apply it on it's own and at night. If I use anything over my Retin A I use jojoba oil and wait about 45 mins to an hour before doing so.

You do not want to use Retin-A during the day. It is intended for night time use.

I have never used Xtend-life, but you may find you don't need to use rosehip oil under it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started retin A when I was 28. I used .05 everyday for the first nine months-my skin is tough. I was peeling like mad but I wasn't red from it. I did get a lot of compliments on my skin. Then I quit using it before the summer came rolling in and I started up again in the fall but this time I mix it in my olay every other day. I still peel but not like when I was o.d.ing on it. I am just trying to ward of wrinkles and keep the collagen level high. I don't think using it is a bad idea (obviously!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts