Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I have some issues related to Retin-A. I am using RA-Micro 0.04% gel, it's made in India from ADC and experiencing dryness and peeling after just a couple of days of use. I can't put Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid as it sting badly. I even try to buffered it using emu oil and Paula's Choice moisturizer or Clinique moisturizer but that doesn't help either.

I used to used RA-Micro 0.04% gel but made by Johnson & Johnson (Canada) and I was not experiencing the dryness and peeling whatsoever. Should I continue using it? I wonder why same product, same strength, made in different country can caused different reaction to my skin.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The Retin-A products in India are generally MUCH MUCH stronger and potent than the ones in North America, its usually their gel base which is formulated to go very deep down to the 1st dermal layer of your skin, their formulations also dont contains any moisturizing ingredients that you find elsewhere, its basically giving you the full benefits of the strength without buffering it. This is why many people cannot tolerate ADC's Retin-A, which is why I suggest you either use a lower strength CREAM version and leave all the gel versions alone or just continue using the Johnson and Johnson version you were accustomed to. If I recall correctly, I beleive ADC does sell a Retin-A version from Johnson&Johnson, I remember seeing its image next to the products.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The Retin-A products in India are generally MUCH MUCH stronger and potent than the ones in North America, its usually their gel base which is formulated to go very deep down to the 1st dermal layer of your skin, their formulations also dont contains any moisturizing ingredients that you find elsewhere, its basically giving you the full benefits of the strength without buffering it. This is why many people cannot tolerate ADC's Retin-A, which is why I suggest you either use a lower strength CREAM version and leave all the gel versions alone or just continue using the Johnson and Johnson version you were accustomed to. If I recall correctly, I beleive ADC does sell a Retin-A version from Johnson&Johnson, I remember seeing its image next to the products.
since i already bought a bulk of the gel will it still work if i use it every other two days. or will it defeat the purpose and irritate my skin>?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a bulk of it too that includes 0.5%~0.1% strength tubes to compensate high shipping costs, what am gonna do with it if my skin cannot tolerate it.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
apply the retin-A half hour after the shower/face wash in a pea sized amount spread very thinly, then wait another thirty minutes and apply a thin coating of either jojoba oil or macadamia nut oil. If you dont want to use the jojoba oil or macadamia oil then use a small amount of Paulas Choice Skin Balancing Moisturizer Gel over the RA.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
yes, I recommended it because they have similar gel base ingredients, use the paulas choice 30 minutes after you apply the RA micro, it is a great gel based antioxidant moisturizer that will only benefit you with the RA.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yes, I recommended it because they have similar gel base ingredients, use the paulas choice 30 minutes after you apply the RA micro, it is a great gel based antioxidant moisturizer that will only benefit you with the RA.
how long will it take for my skin to heal from the retin a

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Mytwocents:
No dont mix them together, wait thirty minutes to apply them separately

Manay:
depends on the severity of your burn/damage, anywhere from 4 days to a week or so, what kind of damage are we talking about here?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the same principle for Clinique DDMG, Super Rescue Antioxtidant night moisturizer and emu oil wait 30 minutes as well?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
yes the same principle but if it was me then I personally wouldnt use Clinique's because its a cream moisturizer and not a gel one, and emu oil is great for skin healing but its a little thick and will dilute the RA micro down to very little which you dont want because you want its full benefits. Give the paulas' gel and ra thirty minutes apart and just try those, I am adamant that you use this regimen b/c I want the RA to work on your skin to its optimal level and if you are going to be diluting it with things like emu oil and clinique then I really dont see a point in using it or its benefits. Bottom Line: see if you have any results or if you have any irritation from using the Ra adn then the paulas choice GEL 30 minutes later, if you still have irritation then that Ra is not for you and simply discontinue and go back to J&J, your still will tell you. As always let us know how that goes so we can advise you.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I will follow your instructions, actually the clinique DDMG is gel base and I got so many moisturizers lol. I will report back how my skin response with your method. Thanks LNL you're the best!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
oh if the clinique is gel based them you can use it 30 minutes apart from the RA, im sorry.
ok thank you, and my collar bone/shoulder area is peeling like crazy!! but it doesn't hurt...should i continue with the way i'm using it (every night) or it that a sign of irritation?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
if its peeling like crazy then thats a good sign that its working at exfoliating away the old dead skin cells. This is a good way to tell if your red skin is irritated or if its actually burned: press down on your red irritated skin with two fingers firmly for 10 seconds then let it go and if your skin is left with a WHITE mark of the two fingers then it is burned and if its not white then its normal and just irritated.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts