Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question: I am going to be finished with my first tube of renova .50 and was wondering if I should move on to .1% or do another tube of.50

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think you should stay at 0.05% for at least 6 months before moving up. The higher % are usually for acne anyway rather than photo-ageing I believe. If you are doing vit C serum that should be enough acid! A nice microfiber cloth will keep the skin exfoliated enough too!

OOPS I just noticed that you are using RENOVA not Retin-A. Still, stay at 0.05% for 6 months.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
fawnie, the 0.1% is not for photoaging? Ive been use it as a preventative measure
WRONG LightenNLift. Well, wrong according to my Derm. I had an appt today and asked this same question.

He said it was just as good as .04% when it came to photoaging. I have .1% that I have been using and it is too strong for my likings. So, he gave me a refill on my .04% Rx. He said I could buffer the .1% and get the same effects as using the .04%.

I took the .04% Rx anyways, just cause I am that way-

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
gymrat, so the final verdict is what? can i continue using the 0.1% as a prevetative photo aging and wrinkle treatment because I like the strong strength and its good for my rough manly skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
gymrat, so the final verdict is what? can i continue using the 0.1% as a prevetative photo aging and wrinkle treatment because I like the strong strength and its good for my rough manly skin.
Absolutely, is what my Derm told me today. He told me if it is too strong for my likings to buffer what I have left so I don't waste it. He said, add a drop of face cream of your choice, cetaphil, eucerin, gold bond, etc to a drop of RA. I am going to do that for the remainder that I have left. But I also got the Rx while I was there for the .04%-

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I ordered some Retin A. WHEN I get a derm appt. again I will get a prescription and get it on base for free. I'll wait a few weeks before using it- when my skin has healed from the last peel.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Your sure got some purdy manly skin to there LightenNLift. Always nice to see a man taking care of his skin

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Im a bit confused too, i always thought that you should gradually move up to a higher strength retinol?

Does the skin not need a higher strength retinol cream the older one gets and the more skin becomes wrinkled etc.......!!

Or am i wrong?? Anyone?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Since I had been using Glycolic peels for 2 years and I have um........"mature" skin I decided to go with the .05% RA instead of the lesser % to start. At first I got a little red and it stung some if I got too close to my eye area but now I am fine. So far no more stings or red patches, but what I did get was mild. If your skin is use to some type of AHA or retinol it may tolerate the .05. If not just use it every other day until your skin adjust

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using .025 for a few months now, but everyother night. I alternate nights with AHA 12%. Should I move to using Retin A every night? Or up to .05 and keep on with AHA everyother night in a few months? thanks

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Try using it every night don't up the % just yet. Use what you have on hand. If you start to feel some burning/stinging in the morning don't use it the next night. If that happened to me the next night I would just use an oil on my skin like almond oil if it was a bit dry.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have never used retin-A or green cream before. It's been only a few days, I have started using a product containing retinyl palmitate. So far, my skin which is normally very oily has become quite dry and I have noticed my skin becoming flaky and peeling. Not looking nice at all. Should I stop using this product or is this normal?

It is my first time of using a retinol based product, I normally apply the cream soon after toning to my slightly damp skin. Please let me know if I am doing it correctly..

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Pumi with RA you must wait at least 30 min after cleansing your face to put it on. You need to have a dry face. I got the peelies for about a week after using it but that should get better. If it gets really bad just go to every other day until your skin adjust to it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi with RA you must wait at least 30 min after cleansing your face to put it on. You need to have a dry face. I got the peelies for about a week after using it but that should get better. If it gets really bad just go to every other day until your skin adjust to it.
Thanks for your helpful reply, Goatlady. I really appreciate it. Is retinol the same for retinyl palmitate? Should I wait 30mins before applying a cream containing retinyl palmitate as well? I am using it every night..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
From what i know pumi is using protect and perfect by no 7 here in the uk, i have told her i dont think that this should not cause purging from what i know of the product, i might be wrong but thats just what i know about the product, and may be she is having a reaction to the serum instead, just a thought though!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yes, I am using N07 protect & perfect serum which is mild from all the reviews I've read. I guess maybe I have supersensitive skin or bcoz I am using vit c serum together with the serum, that's why I am having a bad reaction. I have completely stopped this product and not looking too forward to using any retinol products soon! Hmm...

My skin is left all flaky and red. Hopefully it will get back to normal soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts