Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long before you saw any noticeable changes in your skin and what were they? Also what % did you start with? Just started a few days ago with .05 and see nothing at all I know it is too soon to tell, but I know some have reported red skin/irritation.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I use RA every other night. There are nights when I apply too much and have peeling 2 days later in those areas. I am using RA micro 0.1%

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks much gymrat. So far I see nothing and I am using it every night. I started with the .05 as with the TCA I probably need stronger. Will however stick with it. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Be very careful while using Retin A formulations. Its good you started with a low concentration but just give it some time to show results. When your skin gets accustomed to the product, then you may raise the concentration levels.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How long before you saw any noticeable changes in your skin and what were they? Also what % did you start with? Just started a few days ago with .05 and see nothing at all I know it is too soon to tell, but I know some have reported red skin/irritation.
I have been using the strongest Taz cream for a few weeks now. I have not experienced any real redness or peeling. I did have minimal peeling (very minimal) peeling in the chin area, but other than that nothing else. It is too soon to see any results (some old acne scars have faded somewhat) otherwise no real improvement as of yet

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that does help mom knowing you have been using the strong stuff for a few weeks. Ok I will just keep it up then move up in %.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Goatlady
I've read reports that say 0.05% is the highest strength needed for anti-ageing. The higher % is for acne. Give it at least 12 weeks with the 0.05%. You don't need to peel to get results!

If you truly aren't seeing any change at all, you could try tazarotene, which is stronger for some ppl. I alternate taz/retin-a every couple months. Retin-A works on 3 retinoid receptor sites and taz works on 2 ( same sites, but one fewer than retin-a).

Some ppl use glycolic acid products with their retin-a to boost it, but that's only for the rhino-hides! Very irritating if you have sensitive skin.

HTH you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Fawnster! I will do that. I have glycolic and use it once a month to every 6 weeks. I am a bit impatient. But after doing the TCA I am feeling better.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
My mother uses the 0.05% RA on her more sensitive areas (upper cheeks, & neck) & the 0.1% on the areas that tolerate it readily. This is working well for her.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tonight is about a week since starting the RA and I noticed the first effects that it must be working and doing its thing. I was washing my face and felt skin rolling off all over. Forehead, cheeks, chin. Last night I noticed a bit of dryness and a stinging sensation. Tonight I decided to skip it and put some oils on. I used my micro-cloth gently and I have pinkish glowing skin. I think I just fell in love with the RA!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's wonderful goatlady! You are shedding the old stuff. Please don't overdo it, you are wise to lay off for a night or two.
Vit C serum is supposed to help with the exfoliation and rebuilding of new healthy skin.
What oils are you using?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have quite a few oils in my arsenal. I have Emu, Vit. E oil, Squalane. Tonight I put the Emu on and some Vit. E around my eyes as they are quite irritated from the Rapidlash. I had to lay off of that a day or so also. I still haven't got the stuff to make the Vit. C. When you put it on you leave it on correct and do you do it only in the mornings as I know it is best to put the RA on at night.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's correct, altho some ppl use C at night under the RA.
Emu oil is a great idea for healing isn't it! I have heard good things, but it smells too "chickeny" to me. Is there a brand that doesn't have that odor?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it is great stuff. The one I have smells like absolutely nothing. I even had my husband take a sniff. He said I don't smell anything and I said good! Here is the one I use. NSI 100% Pure Emu Oil -- 4 fl oz - Vitacost I get it from Vitacost along with SO many other great things from this company! I spend way too much money there!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It's a real moneymaker too! Have you ever thought of raising emu? I see them in pens like extra large turkeys on a farm here.

We both hit Go at the same time!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It crossed my mind briefly! But I think they tend to escape a lot. I am about ready to give up the goats. It just enslaves me to this place. I can never get away.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LOL That made me laugh, goatlady, to think of emus running down the highway escaping!

I thought about alpaca but, same thing, they would tie me down. I can't even bear to think about a dog - what do you do with him when you want to go away for a couple weeks? Not a boarding kennel, that would be too cruel.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to do that with my cat a few times and that cat was SO happy to see me that I felt she must have been mistreated. I couldn't stomach doing it again. I have to lighten my load here. There is just too much and as I said I am a prisoner here. I can never leave and it is getting old for me now. I have been doing it for 9 years.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Think of yourself as a farmer! They have to get someone to take over so they can get away, which is hard to do, so they never get a break!

My cat seems to do OK for about a week home alone with the neighbor lady to come over every other day to talk to him and pet him. Even at that, he gives me the StinkEye when I get back and is aloof for a while, pouting. Animals do not like change!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts