Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference in value of Retin A or piercing a vit A capsule and rubbing the oil onto your skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
"A word about vitamin A. Some experts (usually non-scientists) include various forms of vitamin A (such as retinol, retinaldehyde and retinyl palmitate) among retinoids. Physiologically speaking, vitamin A is not a retinoid because it does not interact directly with retinoid receptors. Cells have to first convert vitamin A to retinoic acid (i.e. to tretinoin or other retinoid). The rate of such conversion is low and varies significantly among individuals. What does this mean in practice? Low strength topical vitamin A formulations are usually ineffective - not enough of vitamin A is converted into a retinoid. Stabilized, high strength topical vitamin A may be effective, but due to variability in conversion rates the results are far less consistent than with true retinoids and the side effects may be almost as significant. For people who cannot tolerate or cannot afford retinoids, a well-selected vitamin A formulation may be worth a try (see our articles on retinaldehyde and retinol). Otherwise, a retinoid is likely to deliver a better performance."

Quote from Smart Skin Care - Intelligent Rejuvenation Through Science

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fawnie for that insight. the Capsules of Vit A I have are 5000units. Its just that you often hear different oils like maybe Rosehip have vit C and A, so I thought maybe the concernration of it from a capsule would be more potent and effective.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Netty though this is just my opinion but you dont want to take too many capsules just what you actually need for your body type, also from what i know i think there is a difference between what you put on your face and what supplements you take in terms of how if effects the face and body and internal organs you need to do both!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks Fawnie for that insight. the Capsules of Vit A I have are 5000units. Its just that you often hear different oils like maybe Rosehip have vit C and A, so I thought maybe the concernration of it from a capsule would be more potent and effective.
They do, you're right. But you just won't get the same effect as fast or as dramatically from putting either vit A oil or rosehip seed oil on your face that you will from using the forms of C and A that are readily usable by the skin for purposes of exfoliation and collagen building.

But if you are looking for a gentle way to do it, then those oils might be right for you. It just takes so long for them to be converted to the forms for the receptors in the cells to use.

You could go on to read the article they suggest to see if it sheds any light. And of course, everyone is different so you could always try it. The article does say that you could still get irritation from the capsules though.

HTH and let us know!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
If you are taking Vit A orally, just be careful that you don't go over the daily value, Vit A can do some serious damage eternally. Just my two cents worth! I think you would benefit taking it orally and applying rosehip seed oil, but like I said just be careful not to over due it orally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your comments. I do use Retin A 0.1% at night...so I am on max dose of that ...I was thinking that the vit A oil in my daytime rejeuvenation programme might help as well. I also use a MiSMO oil that is C,A,and E. I have also a Rosehip oil and also a MiSMO rejeuvenating gel that is 50% hyraulonic(?)acid , Matrixyl 3000 and msm. So I am trying lots of stuff and my skin is happy with that but I am 53 and i need alllll the help I can get ! I guess I am looking for the greatest strength or potency of the ingredients.
I sometimes take the Vit A orally but am very aware of the liver toxicity possibilities.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Netty,
If you are maxxed out on Retin-A, you might be interested in tazarotene, a different retinoid that some ppl get better results from than RA.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Netty - I have been told my a Dermatologist that cracking open a vit. A Capsule and applying to your skin will be extremely irritating to the skin. There are buffers, skin smoothers and other ingredients in say a retin-a or retinol cream.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts