Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people, can someone share some information on this product with me, I am interested in buying it. If you have used it before can you tell me if it helped with skin lightening and if it didn't work. thanks.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Read around in the skin lightening threads; many people here aare using it. I am too. It does an incredible job at exfoliating & it does lighten (not dramatically) & even skin colour out. What results are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it does lighten a little after long term use more than 3 months. Its more for acne than lightening effects though. It will make your skin dry and it will probably peel in the beginning stages. If you never used retinols before, u should start with .05 before advancing to .1 percent.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think it does lighten a little after long term use more than 3 months. Its more for acne than lightening effects though. It will make your skin dry and it will probably peel in the beginning stages.
Please clarify for me. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the Retin-A itself does not lighten the skin but prepares the skin so that lightening agents can better penetrate it and do their work. Here in this post and elsewhere on the site I am reading that RA also has lightening effects itself. I am not arguing - just asking for clarification here. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The lightening effect of Retin A is known: alone, it won't truly lighten dramatically. Mixed with HQ4%, it makes a potent lightening formula. You can use them separately too & then the Retin A & its exfoliating ability will make the skin absorb the HQ (or other product) better.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Interesting! I have been using Retin-A for nine months now, and my skin is anything but lightened. Each person reacts differently, I suppose!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read around in the skin lightening threads; many people here aare using it. I am too. It does an incredible job at exfoliating & it does lighten (not dramatically) & even skin colour out. What results are you trying to achieve?
I am trying achieve 3 lightening shades on my face. Ondine, I think your very helpful and your probably got the most knowledge of skin lightening products in this forum, can you advise what product to use? I am currently 18 and I am male and I want to become like 2 or 3 shades lighter. thanks

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi clublimers. Actually, there are many people lightening here using different methods. Firstly, do you have any skin issues besides wanting to lighten (acne, eczema etc)? If you do, wait until you have resolved any problems before beginning a lightening regimen. If all is well, get some RetinA 0.1% & some HQ4%, blend the creams equally together in a light proof jar. Use 2x/day on clean skin 20 mins after washing. You might try the Likas Papaya soap for its additional exfoliating properties. It leaves you with a clean canvas for your creams. Once you've reached the shade you want to be, you'll need to use the creams only a few times/week to maintain results. Invest in a good sunblock & use it like a religion rain or shine. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi clublimers. Actually, there are many people lightening here using different methods. Firstly, do you have any skin issues besides wanting to lighten (acne, eczema etc)? If you do, wait until you have resolved any problems before beginning a lightening regimen. If all is well, get some RetinA 0.1% & some HQ4%, blend the creams equally together in a light proof jar. Use 2x/day on clean skin 20 mins after washing. You might try the Likas Papaya soap for its additional exfoliating properties. It leaves you with a clean canvas for your creams. Once you've reached the shade you want to be, you'll need to use the creams only a few times/week to maintain results. Invest in a good sunblock & use it like a religion rain or shine. Good luck to you!
Hey Ondine, thanks very much for that information. I really appreciate it. Just one more thing, where can I purchase these products from?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'll pm you my source for the HQ & the retin A . The likas soap is all over the internet so it is easy to find.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks! Please let everyone know how long it takes for your products to arrive & post any results you get along the way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dermatologist said Retin-A can lighten freckles and age spots by its process of exfoliation and speeding cell turnover for new skin...along with the added requirement of using sunblock to prevent future darkening of the skin. But actual lightening beyond what the skin's natural pigment is? Not really.

It's useful with HQ4% because it speeds up that exfoliation, and the HQ4% keeps those new cells from pigmenting like the old ones did...to my understanding. That's the benefit of using both.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That's exactly right, clabbergirl; very well said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ondine

Thanks for the information you posted on this site. Just one thing where can I purchase the 4% hq and the retina a cream/gel? pls help. thanks

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've pm ed you 2 resources. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - I'm a newbie and need some input. I use tretoinin all winter ( I'm 58) and then stop in Feb due to lake season coming and lots of sun. What do you think about keeping it up and using sunscreen? I have been reticent to try it - but my skin sure does miss it and it's best to use it throughout the year.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hi - I'm a newbie and need some input. I use tretoinin all winter ( I'm 58) and then stop in Feb due to lake season coming and lots of sun. What do you think about keeping it up and using sunscreen? I have been reticent to try it - but my skin sure does miss it and it's best to use it throughout the year.
Yes keep using tretinoin all year and use the highest spf/ppd sunscreen you can find/afford. Look for ones with both mexoryls or both tinosorbs. Europe has the best sunscreens.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
mymare: HQ is hydroquinone. It comes in various concentrations. The safe zone is up to 10% used twice/day. More than this amt can be problematic. I've used the 4% with good results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts