Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hows everything? Well I got my first tube of 0.1% Retin-A yesterday and everything seemed fine at first when I applied it in the morning, some skin peeled and I expected that. Later that night I applied some again and it burned my skin so severely that it turned red, almost like sunburn. I washed it off quickly and put on some milk moisturizer which took out the sting. This morning everything was fine again except for some tenderness when touching the skin. Obviously it was too strong because I wasn't going to put that on my skin again. I bought some 0.025% and applied it tonight successfully without much irritation, just minor. After 10 mins I applied some 4% HQ and that was that. So I realized that I have sensitive skin (owing to this experience and previously with the HQ). So just a warning for you guys out there higher percentage does not equal better results, most of the time it might set you back years. Well just thought I'd share that with yuall! Otherwise everything is fantastic, my skin seems really smooth now - more than ever, as for lightening we'll just have to wait till the end of the month!
Cheers from TnT!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
actually Reyaz, higher percentage in terms of retin-A does mean better results but you have to work your way up, so starting off with lower is good but its absoutely not true that higher percentages are not better and will set u back years, you get optimum lightening with 0.1% because thats the most it would exfoliate and when I worked my way upto 0.1% RA i noticed that the results and the penetration of the HQ was wayy better than the lower concentrations. So to rephrase "you should work your way up from 0.025% RA to 0.1% and then stick with the highest"

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay then, I just got so scared that I ruined my skin that night. Well maybe next month i'll go for the 0.05% and then after try back the 0.1%. Thanks for the advice, I was just sharing my experience to caution others

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
try the 0.025 for two months then 0.5 for 2 months and then the 0.1 finally, be sure to apply the product 30 minutes after washing ur face and apply a nickel size to the entire face

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
THank goodness you wrote in! RA is not like a regular moisturizing cream: it is strong stuff. You do NOT slather on RA 0.1% 2x/day like that. I'm so glad you had the good sense to check in! LightenNLift's advice is great re beginning slowly but you don't use a nickel sized amt but a PEA sized amt. You dot it onto uoir fingertips & gently tap it onto your skin then rub it in gently to ensure an even coat. You definitely have not ruined your skin that quickly, but it might be sensitive for a while. Expect to possibly overexfoliate a little & use a very gentle touch on your skin for the next week or so. If you are too dry in certain areas, just use a little natural oil to soothe & moisturize the area. Please resist the temptation to scrub off any flaking you get & wait 'till it rolls off easily with a damp cloth in the steamy shower. Take care & remember that most of us have done something similar at some point so don't beat yourself up.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Okay then, I just got so scared that I ruined my skin that night. Well maybe next month i'll go for the 0.05% and then after try back the 0.1%. Thanks for the advice, I was just sharing my experience to caution others
reyaz- PLEASE be careful when using .1% RA. I have used it for 2 months every other night and have decided to take a break from it. I am going back to .04% for a couple times a night. .1% is STRONG stuff, so please just be careful. I apply smaller than a dime size and it is plenty for my entire face. Be careful around your mouth, otherwise you will wake up with a kool-aid looking mustache-

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Always use it at night also NOT during the day! Don't forget your sunscreen!!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks evryone! Will definitely take this into consideration
The Retin-A is very strong indeed, i'll stick to using my 0.025% for awhile and let that do its thing. This morning I woke up and the skin around my mouth was peeling :O. Hope thats a good thing lol.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Thanks evryone! Will definitely take this into consideration
The Retin-A is very strong indeed, i'll stick to using my 0.025% for awhile and let that do its thing. This morning I woke up and the skin around my mouth was peeling :O. Hope thats a good thing lol.
I know exactly the feeling (around your mouth) I hate it!!

I do this more times than not!!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I can always see the flakies around the mouth but when I use my cloth to gently rub my face and rinse I can feel skin just rolling off. This stuff is awesome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
guys something weird has happened to me with RA. I need your help!

I felt slight itching on my back maybe a week after using RA daily. I must admit I did have a good scratch when this happens but never thought anything of it as I had no other side effects apart from peeling. Infact I have had great results with the RA/HQ combo.
I noticed that my back felt really dry and scaly this morning when applying moisturiser. The thing is when I did look in the mirror I didn't see anything at all. I went shopping later on and in the changing room I noticed these micro crusty/scaly/burnt like scabs on my back!! The light was very bright so I could see it for what it was.

I am disgusted with this as I've always had pretty good skin. My face, neck and all sensitive areas are absolutely fine with no sign of marks or scabs at all so I am really confused. I've applied olive oil all over it but it's still quite scaly to the touch.

I understand I have to quit RA for a bit but how the hell can I get my skin back to normal?

Seriously thinking of completely discontinuing it all together so your advice will be very appreciated.

Cheers....

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
guys something weird has happened to me with RA. I need your help!

I felt slight itching on my back maybe a week after using RA daily. I must admit I did have a good scratch when this happens but never thought anything of it as I had no other side effects apart from peeling. Infact I have had great results with the RA/HQ combo.
I noticed that my back felt really dry and scaly this morning when applying moisturiser. The thing is when I did look in the mirror I didn't see anything at all. I went shopping later on and in the changing room I noticed these micro crusty/scaly/burnt like scabs on my back!! The light was very bright so I could see it for what it was.

I am disgusted with this as I've always had pretty good skin. My face, neck and all sensitive areas are absolutely fine with no sign of marks or scabs at all so I am really confused. I've applied olive oil all over it but it's still quite scaly to the touch.

I understand I have to quit RA for a bit but how the hell can I get my skin back to normal?

Seriously thinking of completely discontinuing it all together so your advice will be very appreciated.

Cheers....
I would definately not use anymore until your back has healed. Then maybe try using it every other night only. You also could try buffering it a little.

What % are you using?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm using the 0.01%. I had minimal side effects and great results, so like an oaf I kept applying the gel everyday.

I'll guess I can try to buy that exfoliating cloth recommended on one of the forums to see if I can buffer away the brown scab like skin.

Thanks..

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I'm using the 0.01%. I had minimal side effects and great results, so like an oaf I kept applying the gel everyday.

I'll guess I can try to buy that exfoliating cloth recommended on one of the forums to see if I can buffer away the brown scab like skin.

Thanks..
So 0.01% is the gel form RA. I use .1% which is the cream form.

Oh Janneha, I would be carefutl exfoliating. You do not want to rub your skin raw with the cloth. Just be careful if you do-

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Oh so gently with the cloth janneha! Yep you need to go to every other day or lesser %

1 - 15 of 15 Posts