Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a weird question, but I was just thinking. I've been studying genetics as of recently and noticed something, is aging of the skin really preventable? and once damage occurs, is there nothing you can do?
Your skin is a living combination of cells that once damage such as collagen supposedly can't be replaced.
Yet like other cells in your body if the damage isn't substantial your body can replace the damage but it takes time. I guess your skin repairs normally overtime, but only like how you see certain scars disappear and other remain for the rest of your life. Does anyone else have any other thoughts or opinions on this subject?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think aging of the skin is only preventable thru the use of a good sunblock to prevent further destruction of the collagen (support). If you use irritating products on your skin such as heavy duty peels, scrubs etc eventually the collagen will break down thus creating sagging skin. However, you can never disregard wearing a sunblock every single day of your life. Once sun damage occurs, you can help it out by using glycolic serum for a few weeks to take away that top, tough layer of skin cells. You would see improvement.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Jamie -- you have posted a loaded question -- I think if you are young enough and haven't experienced sun damage and if you stick to a good regime of eating healthy, exercise, etc., you can maintain your skin from aging too prematurely. Also ethnic background plays a role as does whether or not you had severe or minor acne as a teenager. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and the aging process is more than skin-deep. However, there are many ways to improve damaged skin, remove scars and prevent further skin damage. Not all scars are the same -- some are deep in the skin, others are topical and each needs a different treatment. Find a good line of skin care products that your skin will tolerate and stick to a daily routine. If the skin care products stop working it could be that the formulation has been changed or your skin is changing.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Jamie -- you have posted a loaded question -- I think if you are young enough and haven't experienced sun damage and if you stick to a good regime of eating healthy, exercise, etc., you can maintain your skin from aging too prematurely. Also ethnic background plays a role as does whether or not you had severe or minor acne as a teenager. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and the aging process is more than skin-deep. However, there are many ways to improve damaged skin, remove scars and prevent further skin damage. Not all scars are the same -- some are deep in the skin, others are topical and each needs a different treatment. Find a good line of skin care products that your skin will tolerate and stick to a daily routine. If the skin care products stop working it could be that the formulation has been changed or your skin is changing.
Hi Mari,

Thanks for those tips. They are very helpful

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, you guys have been all very helpful, also my skin has improved greatly and is generally back to normal. So thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard that collagen can not be applied topically but that there are ways to stimulate your cells to produce more collagen, has anyone tried a product that contains collagen or that stimulates new collagen formation...

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should find products with BioActive X3 Complex

BioActive X3 Complexâ„¢ In-Vitro Study

Comprised of three, patent-pending exclusive ingredients derived from deep within the mangosteen fruit's nutrient-rich pericarp, BioActive X3 Complex provides a performance-driven, xanthone-rich complex to nourish and revitalize your skin. BioActive X3 Complex is derived from the mangosteen fruit through an advanced and customized biofermentation process. This biofermentation process amplifies the purity, potency and cellular-level energy of BioActive X3 delivering optimal skin health.

Products that are carefully formulated with unique and scientifically studied levels of BioActive X3 Complex provide maximum results. These three novel, xanthone-rich complexes are pure, fresh and active-working in a careful and synergistic balance to deliver energized, refreshed and healthy skin.

BioActive X3 Complex has been shown in third party analysis and in-vitro studies to:

1. Calm the signs of inflammation

BioActive X3 Complex calms inflammation in skin.

BioActive X3 Complex causes significant reduction in IL-6 (interleukin-6), a type of inflammatory cytokine.

Source: Japan Food Research Laboratories, 2008

2. Promote natural collagen production

BioActive X3 Complex supports collagen production in the skin.

BioActive X3 Complex increases type I collagen when added to the human skin cells.

3. Protect the skin against the oxidizing effects of free radicals

BioActive X3 Complex offers protection from free radicals and environmental stressors.

BioActive X3 Complex demonstrates significantly higher antioxidant activities compared to green tea and other cosmetic ingredients.

DPPH (2,2-Diphenyl-1-Picrylhydrazyl): A stable free radical ideal for antioxidant studies because it is prevalent and independent from sample polarity.
SOD (superoxide dismutase): An enzyme produced in the body that provides antioxidant defense against superoxide. Superoxide is a natural byproduct of toxic reactive oxygen species (ROS). SOD protects the cells from superoxide toxicity through antioxidant activity.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
ericb49 -- I just googled BioActive X3 and now know it is an ingredient used in many cosmetics. It sounds revolutionary. Do you use a specific product with this ingredient? Cosmetics with vitamin C and alphahydroxy also strengthen collagen production as does microabrasion. Cosmetics with petides are also recommended. There are cosmetics that should soon be available that deliver these collagen enhancing ingredients by nano technology -- which means that the ingredients are broken down into such minute particles that they reach deep into the skin -- for better results. There was controversy in Europe over the use of nano particles because the research initially didn't show how far the nano delivery system penetrated into the dermis and the question was did it go too far?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi! Ah, isn't that the question we all are asking!

Remergent is a line of skincare that bills itself as undoing the damage at a cellular level. I tried it, but (1) it's way expensive, and (2) I didn't see results soon enough to warrant repurchase of it.

For my money, Retin-A, Vitamin C serum and a good sunblock will fight the sundamage already done and protect against further damage. That and good nutrition (I take a cocktail of supplements including Vitamin C 1000mg and MSM 1500 mg daily to strengthen my skin).

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
47 Posts
RayAndrew and Mari,
Sorry for the long delay in response.
As far as I know there is only one company that uses BioActive X3 in its skin care, and its not Remergent.
The blog I set up has the info I posted above, and more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts