Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas how to extract the vitamine c or preserve the rosehips over winter, mine are ready to be plucked, and I've got lots but I can't seem to find out how to presserve the vitamine C out of them. In several articles it states that as soon as vitamine c gets oxygene it becomes useless.....Any ideas..... anybody?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I'm gonna try to contact NeverOverTheHill about this, there's gotta be a way!

·
Registered
713 Posts
mony....My Mum used to do this but she waited until they had a good frost before picking them. I will look for the recipe she had, I think I kept it and I will get back to you.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be so cool and we are getting to the "frosty" stage up here, cucumber and pea plants froze a couple of days ago. Had to tent my tomatoes ( I have 15 plants so about 100 lbs of tomatoes! LOL!

·
Registered
713 Posts
mony...I do remember they needed a hard killing frost before my Mum would harvest them. I still have to look for the book.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Okay mony here is what my Mum did:

-put 4 quarts of rosehips in a pot (the rosehips must go through 2 killing frosts before picking.)

-add 1 quart of water to pot.

-add 2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice to pot.

* mash and boil hips until soft and mushy/ pour into a pillow case to strain/bring hip juice to a boil and immediately pour into small canning jars and can in canner.

That is the recipe verbatim from Mum's recipe, your can buy proper jelly straining bags today if you don't want to use a pillow case. I don't know where Mum got her little jars from but I see Superstore sells canning jars that look like they hold about 3/4 cups

Mum used to put this in a lotion that she bought, I hope this helps you. Oh, by the way the rose hip liquid was always a light pink colour in the jars so I don't think it had oxidized and she also gave this to my sister and I if we got a cold!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! thank you for taking the time to look for that for me! greatly appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts