Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK--My acupuncturist recommended I take sea kelp tablets. She is very in tune and very good. I trust her implicitly and went right out a few days ago and bought these. I never had acne in my life, not bad at least just a bit when I was a teen. She warned me that I would "detox" heavily and that she went on them and when she did she broke out something fierce and then it subsided and she felt great and it is great for skin especially but also to absorb toxins.

Now medically I know sea kelp is high in Iodine and Iodine has been linked to acne. That said I have a diet which includes idodine and always has and I have never had a dramatic outbreak. Nor can I say that I am taking so much supplement that it should have any effect on either my thyroid function via iodine or my iodine levels.

I know that generally speaking many people on this board "discount" detoxes of any kind but personally I know from an integrated medicine point of view and according to Eastern Medicine and Holistic detoxes do happen.

Has anyone had experience with Sea Kelp supplements and if so does the acne pass and is the supplement worth it? My acupuncturist is away and she claims she felt great on it after the "outbreaks" stopped and takes it daily and at 48 her skin looks great. Medically I can only think of iodine being the culprit and even that relation is not proven. Not to be nasty but to add to my suspcion she may be right with a mere single tablet I have noticed very "full" bowel movements which indicate a deeper colonic cleansing which is in tune with the assertion it removes toxins.

I am on the fence but stopped as of yesterday taking the tablets because I literally look like I am 14 going through puberty with huge purple acne spots on my cheeks and spots all over my face. They have even started on my shoulders! I NEVER HAD ACNE!

Anyone with experience please let me know!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yep did it for a bout 2 yrs! And yes you do break out- I had acnee already (so this did not help with my self esteem!) my face, chest back everything was now covered! I kept it up as MY acupuncturist recommended it to me too. Every week she ask if I was still taking it! (nagging like an old bitty!) But I got through it! It took about 3 months for it to clear up on me! and after (like I said about 2yrs I stopped taking them- I really saw no differenece before I took them and after they were in my system for a while.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have stopped and I am not going to take them again. Medically there is nothing but iodine that could cause it which would likely do so via the thyroid but the amounts that I am taking are just not enough to warrant the actual change. I will not go through such a break out for minimal or unproven effects. I usually trust my acupuncturist but on this it seems a bit too much. I mean CYSTIC acne. I never had acne as a teen, just the odd spot (pimple) from time to time. To look like a pizza at my age is not nice.

The only thing I do wonder is if it does in fact have some balancing effect which one wonders because you do seem to get through the acne stage.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Honestly, Lexi- in my case It was a waste of my money, but every one is different. It doesn't mean that it won't do possitive things for you, just because it didn't for me.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Mony--I am a big believer in Eastern and holistic medicine. Most in the medical profession see it has hocus pocus but I have seen enough proof to truly believe-including watching a procedure on a woman that was wide awake with acupuncture as a an anaesthetic having her chest cracked (opening the chest to operate). I usually yield to those more knowledgable than me on Eastern/Holistic medicine but I mean I broke out so bad that it is not like normal spots where a bit of extra retin-a makes it go away, this is deep under the skin WELTS. I never had cystic acne, these are purple and deep and raised. I wonder if I am perhaps going through what is known in holistic medicine as a healing crisis or if it is just that part of the placebo is this phase. I know for example "gallbladder-cleanses" often use lemon juice and olive oil which in excrement become gel-like and look like what they claim are stones being passed--they are not.

Well let's see if anyone else replies with experience but for now I am not taking the supplement as I have to travel and I do not like looking like a 14 year old girl again.

·
Registered
529 Posts
if sea kelp is so bad, why dont we see more japanese people with massive acne ?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No one said Sea Kelp was bad. It is, as stated, full of iodine. That being said, I don't recall Japanese people being the gold standard of skin quality.

I know people of all races that have nice skin, and I know people of all races that have horrible skin, Japanese people included. Perhaps I missed the point of your post.

Yes, I understand that Japanese people consume lots of kelp, but we don't see everyone that consumes it to be able to judge their skin quality. Also any genetic tendancies towards sensitivity towards kelp or iodine has to be considered as well.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems somewhat common though with the supplement, which is usually Norwegian or Icelandic Kelp. Japanese Kelp is not the same! Eating anything is not the same as a supplement also. I seem to see tons of people of all races who take it and break out. I am giving it a rest for now---I NEVER had acne until this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i take kelp tablets and they make my hair grow very fast. when i stop taking for a few months my hair growth rate goes back to normal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts