Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have heard of this back in the 80s, it was called Color Me Beautiful. It was considered a "fad" and gradually went out of style in the 90s. I was reading a blog a few days ago and ran in to the theory again which got me thinking...

Essie is not just a brand, but a person?and she says everyone has a “signature nail polish colour.†Whatâ€2122s yours? ? BEAUTY EDITOR

I realized I had read about color theory recently in Gossip Girl costumer designer Eric Daman's book, You Know You Want It. He has an actual section on it-- what colors to wear if you are a Spring, etc...... I was dismissive, felt it wasn't "important" information.

So I decided to surf around and found out the original theory has been updated and expanded to include 3 versions of every season, making 12 seasons rather than 4:

Seasonal Color Analysis | How to Find Your Best Colors with a Free Color Analysis Chart

I don't know why I dismissed seasonal color theory... guess I thought it was boring or too hard to figue out.... or too limiting, too dated, etc. So I spent some time trying to figure out my season-- I'm a clear winter but always think I might really be an autumn.

As soon as I decided I went and purged out my nail colors, realizing I can never make nude work. It makes my skin look idk, funky.

Were you color typed back in the day?
What season were/are you?
Do you think the theory is b.s.?
If so, why?
According to the 12 season theory, what season are you?
Would you buy clothes or decorate your house according to "your colors"?

·
Registered
628 Posts
How funny! I was typed as a "winter" (I believe) - which means I should wear silver jewelry and jewel tone colors. That was spot on - I can't wear whites, beiges, creams or any subtle colors. I look best in black, dark purples. reds, deep orange, pink. Thanks for the link - I will have to check it out.

Instinctually I knew these colors worked the best for me even before I did the test many years ago and I have stuck with it. Now my home on the other hand, all neutrals.!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
how interesting. Krittika do you work in teh fashion industry you know so much about these things

ive never subscribed to any kind of typing but as a tailor (hobby) im good with colours and what suits. im great with pastels oddly! any earthy colours, darks, greys, but not fuschias, or bright fluorscents. although i can wear primaries in vintage t shirts.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how interesting. Krittika do you work in teh fashion industry you know so much about these things

No I surf online a lot, on my phone, and a lot of stuff just flows in to my world. I'm not sure what causes it really. I bought Eric's book last year, never followed up on the color thing. Thought it was passe. Now I'm purging all my makeup, kind of taking it seriously.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Spring, and I love white on me. Especially when I have a spray tan on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like a tan also but think pale may be my best look.... I've already worn my colors for years, it's the little things that tripped me up like highlighting my hair. Was looking at pics of Linda Evangelista last night who is probably a clear winter... she looks much better with dark hair, lighter really washes her out. I went light a few years ago, really hated it & have had partial highlights a few times..... I did 7 foils over in October, may not do that anymore either.
Linda Evangelista Hair Over the Years

Spring, and I love white on me. Especially when I have a spray tan on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had this done in the UK and am a clear winter with a neutral base, I was wearing most of the colours before anyway so I would also say trust your instinct

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had this done in the UK and am a clear winter with a neutral base, I was wearing most of the colours before anyway so I would also say trust your instinct
From all I've surfed and read online people more or less have hopped off color theory yet it does seem to be true... the wrong colors can really look bad! Celebrities especially have their share of bad red carpet moments simply from wearing the wrong color dress and makeup, happens all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts