Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dermatologist a couple months ago for what I thought was a cystic pimple but it turns out I have a sebaceous cyst on my face. They sent me to a facial plastic surgeon who wanted to charge $1000 to surgically remove the cyst. I am recently unemployed and have no insurance so surgery is not an option at this time. Does anyone know of a home treatment to get rid of, or at least shrink a sebaceous cyst?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
hi and welcome to the site! I used to get cysts carved out of me, I had three removed at one time, one of those came back. I had to go back and get "More carved out of me" It wasn't pretty, it's on my upper leg, and there is one heck of an ugly scar there now, ( I didn't see a plastic surgeon- At least you are on the right track seeing a plastic surgeon. If' I'd known then what I know now I might not have thus ugly scar. My grandmother, before she passed told me that "in their days" women would get those all the time. and this is what they did: believe it or not, soak a piece of stlate bread in milk, then apply it to the cyst. Let it sit there for a while, Do this a couple of times. For some reason it brings down the swelling, and seems to suck out the puss. It will not remove the cyst, and it did not aggrivate mine, but makes it more liveable, it doesn't hurt, and it's a lot less noticeable! Rember it will not take away the cyst, just lessen it until you can afford to see that surgeon. Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
529 Posts
now i dont know and please dont take what i have to say and go with it.. but
when ever i get one of those massive pimple things, take anti biotics, and then put a hot towel over it, and then it pops and oozes out.. lol.. but thats just me and i rarely get these things :/

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yes that does work Kamakaze but a cyst is a totally different ball game here! what she has - has been determined already as NOT being a cystic pimple but a sebaceous cyst. Different thing, Nice try though!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if the acids used for peels would work on this. Like spot-treating with TCA or glycolic acid? I have had millia (which might be similar?) on my face and repeated use of TCA and glycolic acid peels have reduced or completely eliminated these. I would think size and location might be an issue too..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it myself - how much is your face worth? Perhaps you could shop around for a PS who would work with you on the fee.

Did your Dr think an antibiotic would help meanwhile??

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Mony... you are correct this cyst is a completely different beast and it cannot be 'popped'. I have read that applying heat twice a day may reduce the cyst and maybe even make it 'disappear' but it will not go away and most likely will return at some point.
Fawnie... the doctor didn't say anything about an antibiotic since it's not really an infection... he just jumped right into surgery talk.

I think I will just treat it with heat, in hopes that it will reduce and become less noticeable for the time being, until I get health insurance again.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions :)
Carrie

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
When I had mine surgically removed, it was because the doctor couldn't cut it out without me being out (it was too deep) sometimes there are "roots" (I hate to use that word) I had one taken out and two years later went back because a root had grown back, and was very irratating. (Sorry about the plant comparison but I have no other way to explain it.) Eventually it will have to come out- Be removed. I know I had tried all the antibiotics hoping and trying. For me it just didn't work until the darn thing was yanked! But the heat does help and somehow so does that milk thing I described earlier works wonders for shrinking it. Give it a try, what do you have to loose?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple notes for future googlers. :) A sebaceous cyst may or may not ooze a kind of pus (sometimes waxy or cheesy in appearance). I have had many of these cysts and only one ever oozed pus. Most are just cyclical in nature. They swell for a time, then "go away" for months or years before swelling again. If you do not get them cut out then they are always there in dormancy. I have had a couple cut out, but the simpler solution for controlling them is just to ask your doctor for antibiotics. A sebaceous cyst is simply an infection that many times is triggered by stress. Taking antibiotics immediately begins to reduce the cyst size and is the fastest method I have found, short of surgery, to remove them (though with antibiotics they are still there, just driven into dormancy). Edit: I am speaking of cysts that become infected (you will know because they begin to redden and grow larger than, say, a pea) above. Given how cysts lie below the skin, I honestly never notice any unless they become infected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts