Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had luck with tanning lotions?? Or if anyone knows of any long term effects of using these products??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey, hehe I have recently started using self-tanners again because of the harmful effects of the sun. Umm I have used Jergens natural glow Light&Med. Skintones, Loreal Sublime Glow Med. skin, and Banana Boat Deep/Dark.
If you have light skin color its best to use a light tanning lotion first then gradually move to med, then dark. Be SURE YOU EXFOLIATE FIRST, do this very well over your whole body, don't forget the face. Make sure to shavetoo. I don't think I exfoliated too well when I started and my tan that I ended up getting it was splotchy.

But my fav. product that looks most natural to me was the Loreal Sublime Glow.
A good product I've heard of is Xen-Tan, and St. Tropez Mousse. You could check those out too.

Hehe hope I could help! If you decide to try this stuff out, good luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have large, easily clogged pores, be careful! You're better off using a brozing powder on the face instead of self tanner. When I use self tanner or face lotions that build up color over time, my pores look horrible and clogged and so much worse!

Self tanner works great on the body as well as you're prepped correctly! Exfoliate, shave, moisturize the knees, elbows, wrists, feet and WASH HANDS and SCRUB CUTICLES afterward.

I find that all brands works just the same. its all in the prep. I've used Mario Badescu sefl tanner because its the cheapest one that I coudl find and its a nice lightweight lotion that blends easily. It also has sunscreen. Easy on the smell too. they also do an oil free gel for the face. I sometimes use it on my face when I am feeling really pale, but again, not long term since I have huge pores on the face and it seems to darken them (obviously).

A friend of mine uses Zen tan and that looks great on her but she has perfect skin. I doubt paying more gives you better tan. Its all the same chemical that does the work!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mystic Tan was the worst experience of my life! I peeled on my decolletage two days later and looked like a lepper and was at a work conference with colleagues in a hotel in the middle of nowhere and could do NOTHING about it!

I agree with skincarediva--it is all the same chemical and I found the lotions as effective as spray tan. One thing I did learn when I used them (I hate them) is that mixing with a moisturising cream tends to spread them more easily and evenly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What about Dior Bronze and Garnier Spray Tan?
Have you tried TAN TOWELS
they come in sachets sort of like hand wipes they don't smell you wipe them on at night or any time and they don't stain the sheets or your clothes.
They are so easy to use, I have used them for a few years now. Available on the web TanTowel, Inc. | Sunless Tanning, Best Self Tanner, Tanning Lotion | Manufacturer of the Original Sunless Tanning Towelette | Sunless Tanning | Self Tan | Tanning Spray
they work well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you tried TAN TOWELS
they come in sachets sort of like hand wipes they don't smell you wipe them on at night or any time and they don't stain the sheets or your clothes.
They are so easy to use, I have used them for a few years now. Available on the web TanTowel, Inc. | Sunless Tanning, Best Self Tanner, Tanning Lotion | Manufacturer of the Original Sunless Tanning Towelette | Sunless Tanning | Self Tan | Tanning Spray
they work well.
For how long are Tan Towels lasting? Looking for someone that are lasting 2-3 days.

·
Registered
515 Posts
For how long are Tan Towels lasting? Looking for someone that are lasting 2-3 days.
They last two to three days longer if you moisturise. If away I top up and represh with towel, they give a great color Not orange.

I am very fair and also use Tan Towel Plus this is a deeper tan, but for me I only have to apply once or twice to get the nice color I want. When it fades , after shower in the morning I reaply. They also come with an exfoliator sachet wihich is fantastic, realy makes your legs glow.
Always get comments like you have a nice color.

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
Tan towels are awesome! They have a classic and a plus. One is a richer color. Both work very well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried Garnier Ambre Solaire (Spray) yesterday, and I woke up to a horrible "tan." What's the most effective way to remove it? I'm going out today and it's really important that it's gone then.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Naw, you're color is pretty perfect;D

Btw, I've heard that sunless tanners works better if you combine them with a AHA serum, is that true?
By method of action I would probably say if you were using AHA lotion/cream for a while that may be the case. The point being that you would be very exfoliated and not likely to unevenly shed skin which makes the tan look blotchy but rather would uniformly turn over skin cells making a natural fade. That said if you exfoliate and use self-tanner (as I tried) you can get very uneven and ugly and tell-tale self-tanning blotching! I had a nightmare as I wrote earlier on this thread. I am considering using a selft-tanner again now but was wondering about the Jergens as I have dehydrated skin so I cannot afford to use anything that dries me or is not very moisture-rich.

·
Registered
259 Posts
By method of action I would probably say if you were using AHA lotion/cream for a while that may be the case. The point being that you would be very exfoliated and not likely to unevenly shed skin which makes the tan look blotchy but rather would uniformly turn over skin cells making a natural fade. That said if you exfoliate and use self-tanner (as I tried) you can get very uneven and ugly and tell-tale self-tanning blotching! I had a nightmare as I wrote earlier on this thread. I am considering using a selft-tanner again now but was wondering about the Jergens as I have dehydrated skin so I cannot afford to use anything that dries me or is not very moisture-rich.
You should try to exfoliate between the exfoliator and sunless tanner.

1. Exfoliator
2. Moisturize
3. Sunless tanner application
4. Moisturizer again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts