Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we make a separate forum dedicated to just product reviews? On the plus side, it would be a nice place for members to post their own personal reviews and opinions. On the other hand, it might be a bit confusing for new members to find info on one specific product since the information would divided between the regular skincare forums and the reviews forum.

So what do you think? I made a poll so we can gather input from everyone.

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
I think too confusing. It is bad enough most don't even read the rules before they post! Adding this to the mix.......might be crazy-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree - especially since the "product reviews" usually come up in the context of a question or discussion - where they are most relevant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The very term 'Product Review' is gonna attract too much spam.. But it would sure be a nice thread to review only products n nuthing else.. If maintained properly it is not all that bad an idea to start one!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I voted yes to Product Reviews forum, but I understand the reasons posted above for not having one. It would be great to be able to subscribe to that forum as well, and see new products pop up for purchasing ideas or to give input on. Although a search of the site by product name would pull up posts in different threads as well.... I could go either way I suppose.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I think if there was a way to take all products reviewd and then compile them by let's say having some kind of automatic poll whenever someone starts a thread on a new product then having a way to look up products that would be awesome!

For example have a "product" section and then every new post automatically gets a survey window and then all users of the product rate it so for a "quick reference" these results are compiled JUST by product with a link to posts on the product but just the blanket vote results from the product. If that all makes any sense?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lexi 's suggestion is ideal. Confusion abounds. The way to separate this is to create meta-word parsing - like google. This would search for product / or condition to get to the point. Its about time that entries were globally searchable, and a meta-word front end would do a good job - I would get affiliate services to come in on this one. A single site search can be limiting ~ add to it by having 2 split formats : the way it is already but limiting product naming, and the other (branding)
but keep the threaded format of the site, improving that by allowing a reply to each sequential post, not just tacked on at the end, in a first in - first out basis. Simple.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
lexi you have slightly confused me but hey i kinda get it, but i do agree with the others letting people review products would create a lot of spam, then again saying that i dont know many commericial products that i like using any more, none of these products seem to be in a high enough concentration to do much good for the skin in my opinion

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
lexi you have slightly confused me but hey i kinda get it, but i do agree with the others letting people review products would create a lot of spam, then again saying that i dont know many commericial products that i like using any more, none of these products seem to be in a high enough concentration to do much good for the skin in my opinion
I know--I can see it but cannot explain it so much. Kind of like a "quick view" in that everyone who wants to see what a product "rating" is would then be able to look up the product and read reviews by members IF they want. BUT any member posting will automatically have the option of voting on a product. So just making product reviews a thread and a survey that is searchable. Kind of like make-up alley has but we could prevent spam by having ONLY members review things and then if someone does spam they get banned as per the Terms of Use.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I kinda get you i think, anyhow as i said before i have not used a store that has worked for me, which is why im slowly looking into making my own stuff up, the prob that i have with store bought products is that even when the ingrendients of the product do look good on paper, they are never in high enough concentration to do anything for the skin, or my skin i should say

I dont have bad skin but i do realsie the older i get and the more collegan that i shall loose, i think it will also mean that products without a high concentration of good ingrendients wont do much for my skin

On that note though i would be interested to see if anyone has had real success with an anti aging they have bought from the store, apart from retin and vit c of course

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it might be helpful for people seeking information about specific products. Would save them having to search through many threads that sometimes go off on tangents.

What I like about forums, is that people with specific problems - acne, rosacea, under-eye circles, lip lines, etc. can get product recommendations from others on threads dedicated to those problems. Seems to me, being able to go to a separate section reviewing products would be a bonus, since not all users of said products contribute to every thread where they might be mentioned.

Also, isn't there a spam filter in place for this site? There is a *report post* function anyone can use to alert the site moderater to potential spam in any case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I definitely think it would be helpful. It would separate the product questions, from the general skin care questions. As long as people were pointed in the right direction, they'd definitely be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Susan,

I think it would not only benefit the new members, but your site as a whole as well. Here's a couple thoughts:

1. For new users - They can see what has already been discussed and rated all in one place, and join in the convo easier on a topic they're familiar with.

2. For existing users - Anytime they use an acronym they could link it to the product review so new users aren't lost in the flurry of acronym usage (like I was when I started here last week, haha). This can be programmed to happen automatically by your software, or just manually by your considerate members.

3. For the site - With all the internal linking of the product names to the product reviews all under one forum, your site should enjoy a bit of a traffic bump from increased visibility on search engines and the like.

Just some food for thought!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Although I understand the reasons of the nay-sayers, I agree with Nate. As for spammers, they'll tend to coagulate there & be easier to sniff out & eliminate. We DO use many acronyms instead of typing out names of chemicals & active ingredients. It can be hard for newbies to join in the discussion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think its too confusing, but would be helpful for people seeking help for specific products, but in saying that there are alot of other forums that already do this. I also think you will be bombarded with people flogging their products making it difficult to tell a honest review when you see it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think if there was a way to take all products reviewd and then compile them by let's say having some kind of automatic poll whenever someone starts a thread on a new product then having a way to look up products that would be awesome!

For example have a "product" section and then every new post automatically gets a survey window and then all users of the product rate it so for a "quick reference" these results are compiled JUST by product with a link to posts on the product but just the blanket vote results from the product. If that all makes any sense?!
I think this is a great idea. Compiling the reviewed products in order to look up the feedback would be very helpful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts