Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people here have mentioned this substance. It seems very promising to me &, apparently, it is more effective than HQ. The manufacturer tested it at 2% concentration & published positive results. Here's a link to some info re Sepi-white. Has anyone here used it? I am very curious about it.

http://vanwagoner.net/product_litera...iwhite_MSH.pdf

An effective alternative to HQ would be great for those whose skin doesn't tolerate it well. I've read that HQ & S-W CAN be safely combined in compounds. Before I'd try the latter, I'd want more reliable info though.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sepi-white is in many European formulations as well as in F&F. I think I may be able to use RA to offset the claims by many users that it thinned their skin. This is an affect I really do NOT want!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, guys; I couldn't resist: the curiosity nabbed me. I've been reading a lot about this ingredient & I've placed my order with makingcosmeticsdotcom. I'll be practicing my new compounding skills (
Thanks to Ninasky's & GoddessOfEarth's example) using the starter recipe they post for MSH on their site. I've ordered most of the other ingredients they suggest as well. The difference in my blend will be that MSH at 2% has been proven VERY effective on Asian skin (great for our Asian brother & sister members!). Darker skin, mine is now a Fitz IV towards the mid-dark range up from a mid-range Fitz V back in Jan , needs higher concentrations. F&F's 5x (expensive as all hell but many people rave about it) contains sepi-white MSH at 5% concentration. Some people complained of thinning skin. YIKES! Mine will have a 6-10% cncentration BUT, to offset the possibility of thinning skin, I'll continue with the RA 0.1% which thickens skin.

The HQ works well, but I guess I'm just itching to experiment with something completely new & unfamiliar. Apparently, these people deliver rapidly so as soon as my package arrives, I'm ripping it open & getting to work

The day it arrives, I'll begin a bloggish type of thread about the MSH, how it melts & blends with the other ingredients & follow up with progress reports. I'll report the good as well as anything negative that occurs. I have high hopes for this compound. Just thought I'd let everyone know since many more people are expressing an interest in compounding.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
When I started lightening my skin, I used hydroquinone 2% then after a month I used sepiwhite MSH 2%. These two ingredients are very far off in terms of consistency and results. Sepiwhire seemed very stable and a lot of the studied prove it and it lightened me quickly. With hydroquinone, I would get inconsistent results and it easily reacts. Howver, sepiwhite does thin the skin and is not quite as hot as hydroquinone and is not as well researched so I stopped using it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HQ2% is very weak & doesn't do much for most people unless they are very fair (white or light Asian) to begin with. What sep-white cream were you using?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I was using this one by the spa basin seller on amazon.com it was ok, my face was really even after using it but it didnt lightening significantly like 1 or 1 and a half shade.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm curious as to whatever else it contained. Sometimes manufacturers claim their product contains an amt of this or that active ingredient but it in fact contains much less. In some countries, the reverse happens: they claim, for ex, to have less than 4% HQ to be able to slip under the 'controlled substance' radar. They actually have been found to have up to 8% (along with dangerous things like lead or mercury NOT listefd on the packaging). This lack of proper oversight & the lack of ethics in many manufacturers & vendors has made me even more interested in home compounding. At least I'll know what I put into it & in what concentrations.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm curious as to whatever else it contained. Sometimes manufacturers claim their product contains an amt of this or that active ingredient but it in fact contains much less. In some countries, the reverse happens: they claim, for ex, to have less than 4% HQ to be able to slip under the 'controlled substance' radar. They actually have been found to have up to 8% (along with dangerous things like lead or mercury NOT listefd on the packaging). This lack of proper oversight & the lack of ethics in many manufacturers & vendors has made me even more interested in home compounding. At least I'll know what I put into it & in what concentrations.
How many shades are you trying to lighten with the sepiwhite? Can you tell me which other lightening ingredients from MakingCosmetics that you purchased?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to their website, click on lightening agents, go to MSH then click on the beginner's recipe, the ingredients are listed. I am changing a few minor things (like using olive oil onstead of the oil they suggest, a higher MSH concentration & I'm adding Niacinamide). I will NOT be adding RA to the formulation because I really want to be able to assess & then report here on the effectiveness of the MSH. I am not gauging my lightening by 'shades' per-se because what constitutes a 'shade' is impossible to establish. I am going by the Fitzpatrick scale used by derms to describe & categorize skin types. I began in the middle of a Fitz V in Jan. I am now in the Fitz IV med range. With my features, I could wear very light skin, but I tend to prefer skin in the light to mid range of a Fitz III (a little darker than Aishwarya Rai) but I don't want that bright yellow colour popular in the USA. Plus, my skin has a very strong red under-tone so I'd be one of those 'faded' pink people (my hair is naturally auburn & even as dark as I was, I had freckles so that makes sense
). I do not ant to look like I have the world's worst case of rosacea so I won't go that far. My skin takes so well to HQ & RA that switching to something else was a BIG gamble & decision for me. I'm continuing with the RA/HQ until I've successfully made cream with the MSH (you know: it doesnt turn vomit green, explode, or bubble like battery acid!). If it looks dodgy, I'll discard it & it'll be back to the lab/******* for me!

Many people here are earnestly exploring responsibble compounding & it really did intrigue me. Every time Ninasky or GoddessOfEarth popped in, I was immediately drawn to their contributions. We are truly becoming an incredible community in this forum! Trolls are few & far between & vendors get the BOOT right smartly. We CAN, between us, firgure out how to make truly effective skin lightening safely & economically. I've been asked more times than I can count to make creams (& hair-care stuff) for people & sell them but I prefer to do it the way we do it here: SHARE the methods to help as many people out there as we all can.

Cross your fingers for me, guys!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
niacinamide is very good atorking to even the skin and brightening, good choice. Also, I was going to suggest if you use lemon oil instead of olive oil b/c it has tyrosinase inhibiting properties and will help lighten.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't use lemon oil as I break out in the mother of all rashes
. Also, it would make it tough to gauge how much of the lightening is due to the SW (MSH) & what was caused by the lemon.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, lightnlift; you seem like a pretty awesome newbie! I hope you post frequently & share more about yourself & your experiences. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Im sorry, what concentration of sepiwhite MSH are you aiming at Ondine? Also, you know the Fair nFlawless or whatever thatbrand is that uses the 5% sepiwhite concentration,i wonder what the reviews are on that.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Thank you Ondine for your encouragement, to be honest I have been getting pretty discouraged with the lightening journey. I have done loads of research over the years and have been using HQ/RA for the past 3 months with inconsistent results, this board gives me hope, I just wish that I can find someone to compound a HQ 10% gel concentration as I am bad at making it myself.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sorry, what does the "RA" stand for and where do you purchase your HQ from Onine? What is the method of permanently lightening with HQ to be 4 shades lighter and what percentage of HQ will do this?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
RA stands for Retin-A, the product that helps exfoliate the skin to be used with Hydroquinone or HQ 4%. You can purchase HQ from [email protected], send them an email asking for Retin-A and HQ 4% its $15 a tube. 4 shades lighter? I would use HQ 4% and RA for a a couple months then I would up the concentration to probably 10% to lighten upto 4 shades. But Idont know any supplier that sells HQ ready made higher than 5% so will have to compound them.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
RA stands for Retin-A, the product that helps exfoliate the skin to be used with Hydroquinone or HQ 4%. You can purchase HQ from [email protected], send them an email asking for Retin-A and HQ 4% its $15 a tube. 4 shades lighter? I would use HQ 4% and RA for a a couple months then I would up the concentration to probably 10% to lighten upto 4 shades. But Idont know any supplier that sells HQ ready made higher than 5% so will have to compound them.
who has 5%?
i would like some

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the link, lightenNlift. The problem is that this seller does not show the product nor name it so I cannot verify either the 5% HQ claim or the origin of the cream. If it comes out of Africa, it may be adulterated with mercury or other toxins & might not have the ingredients in it that it claims to have. Have you used their product before? What can you tell us about it?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts