Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have alot of ingrown hairs on my legs. black dots and bumps that look like pimples as well. i have had these for years and im so self conscious i barely wear skirts and dresses - i shave.
i want to know what the best product for this is and if the product will help even if this is more than just a couple ingrowns. should i use pfb vanish? tend skin? prince reigns. help please.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Tend skin works great in my opinion. But really it is your own personal preference. Try a couple different products and see what works bests for you. Whenever I get an ingrown hair, I pluck it. It doesn't feel great, but it does help-

Best of luck to you-

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Oh that bad? I'm sorry-
do you change the blade on your razor often enough?

Please don't let ingrown hairs stop you from living life, wearing dresses, skirts, etc. Sometimes what you think "looks bad" really isn't even noticable to others.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi Mina, you might want to try exfoliation on a regular basis, ingrown hair usually occurs
when the hair follicle can't break through the skin. Here's a chemical free exfoliator that you can hang in the shower and use, it works really well. It takes the top layer of dead skin off allowing the hair to grow through. It also works really well on the dead skin on the sides and heals of you feet. http://international.responzetv.com/PIS/PIS_My_SKN.pdf

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Sometimes if nothing else helps, Retin-A helps the follicles to exfoliate. You need to see a Dr for it though, and there are precautions to using it. For instance, if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to become pregnant, it would be definitely a no-no - can harm the baby.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
102 Posts
You may want to try waxing and giving you & your skin a break from shaving.

This and regular exolliating will help relieve the amount hyperpigmented dots you spoke of too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best defense against ingrowns is exfoliation, AND an AHA serum. Look at Serious Serum | Ingrown Hair Eliminator & Skin Exfoliant. OMG amazing stuff. It gets rid of ingrowns is 2 days. Any place I have bumpy skin I use it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh feel for you with this problem, I have it at times too. The kicker for me is, I got a hair depilator (Philips one) - you know, those things that pull the hairs out of your legs and the idea is your hairs grow back slower/finer, etc? Well, this caused ingrown hairs for me to a huge degree and I have ended up shaving again! What the F???!!! Anyway, I will follow this thread and similar to see what you all have to say with regard to fixing the problem. I am exfoliating but I think I need some solution. We do have a few here in Australia so I will have to try one I reckon.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Kristen,

Epilator dealie is similar to waxing, sort of ish....I got around that problem with using a buffy scrub, or loofah, Sea sponge deal, or the plastic ball mesh thingie boomums. Physical exfoliation. Worked wonders for that. The tiny hairs are softer and don't break through the skin like the old tree trunks of the past, so they look "in grown". They curl up under the skin...and thar ya go. But the physical exfoliation essentially scrapes it off....and ...less problems that way. Worked for *me* at any rate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh feel for you with this problem, I have it at times too. The kicker for me is, I got a hair depilator (Philips one) - you know, those things that pull the hairs out of your legs and the idea is your hairs grow back slower/finer, etc? Well, this caused ingrown hairs for me to a huge degree and I have ended up shaving again! What the F???!!! Anyway, I will follow this thread and similar to see what you all have to say with regard to fixing the problem. I am exfoliating but I think I need some solution. We do have a few here in Australia so I will have to try one I reckon.
Sometimes an epilator will end up breaking off the hairs just under the skin & not pulling them out at the roots. I've never used an epilator, but I have heard that can be a problem depending on the hair length & the speed setting.

BTW I've heard epilators are quite painful to use. How does it compare to hard waxing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, thanks to Dragon and OCP. I am exfoliating at the moment, every day. As for breaking off the hairs, I think that could be a very distinct possibility. In any case, there is a problem for me that I need to deal with and it is a slow process, as is the case with any skin problem. I will keep up the exfoliating and give the epilator a try again. This time I hope that it won't give me lots of sore, red bumps and what appear to be ingrown hairs! Boy does my skin react! Waxing is something that I think I would react to also (have done in the past - I be a problem child; one of the smallest percentages in the population that react to everything in a really bad way, including waxing, depilation, etc). It is very painful using the depilator btw. It is an ongoing pain and you have to be really careful. Plus, there are certain areas that hurt more, like around the knees. Waxing is quick at least!! You feel like a real masochist when you are using the hair puller!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Kristenkrascek: your skin over-reacting might suggest underlying sensitivities because many forms of hair removal damage the skin barrier, allowing chemicals in. If you over-exfoliate you can cause mild irritation around the hair follicle plus the skin to keratinise and shed faster, both of which can contribute to ingrown hairs. You might consider using only a super gentle sulphate-free body wash plus Cerave and/ or cream adultered with lactic acid for exfoliation without the scrubbing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi FF, Thanks for that advice. However, I can't get Cerave here but I figure I could get something lactic acid based so I will have to hunt around or I could just try one of the ingrown hair solutions I guess. Man, I hate my stupid, over-sensitive skin!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i started epilating a few months back and as a result got more ingrowns. but i really wanted to keep epilating, since my hair grows fast enough that i'd have to shave daily :(

anyways, my point is that i came across salux cloths, and they are AMAZING at exfoliating! way better than everything else i've tried!

also, as mentioned before, you might want to try an AHA, and there are some lotions that have AHA's in them. this should also help to exfoliate the skin.

and a BHA is a life saver for me! BHA's get down into the pores and clean them out. i like stridex pads, the extra strength ones. less than $5 at walmart, and enough to last quite a while, even though i use one on each leg. i've heard of some ppl cutting them in 1.2 to use 1 pad for both legs, but i feel like i need more of thee product on than that!

hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use to have really thick hair on mylegs, especially my ankles and I would get in grown hairs as well and in my armpits too, so I got the laser hair removal and this has worked wonders! I no longer have hair in either places and it's lovely! I can wear an all natural deoderant and not have to worry if it is going to last throught the whole day. I used to shave my legs in the morning and have a 5'oclock shadow on them later in the day, and even when I shaved, you could still see the dark stubs around my ankles- now, my legs are smooth and hairless!

I do however, have lighter skin and dark hair, which is the pre-requisite for the effectiveness of the laser, so this helps as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts