Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a bunch of products from dermstore. I'm just asking since I rarely look through beauty products at stores, how do online prices compare to shopping in an actual store? Is it worth it in terms of both conveniece and price? Thanks

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Good question, Pedro.

I look at it this way:

When I shop online it's because I know what I want and am looking for the best price. When I shop in stores, I can find a zillion other things to look at along the way and I have to go from store to store looking for best prices usually.

If you can get free shipping and no taxes, you save on gas money and taxes too!

Dermstore always gives you a 10% discount instantly if you add the products you are buying to your "Favorites" list.

You can shop in the middle of the night in your jammies if you want to. And you can have cocktails if you want, but that can be dangerous!

Need any more reasons??!!

PS - so what did you order from Dermstore???

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I agree, Fawnie. Shopping online means I shop when I'm open & not when the store is. I can stare at & read the details on the label for as long as I like w/o getting accosted. There are no perfume women looking to GET you, You don't have to schlepp anything anywhere & you can visit 1000 stores w/o getting tired feet or MALLairia.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Pedro--here is what I do: look at the product, go to the name of the brand and check the manufacturer themselves. When they do not sell they usually say where you can buy. If that also does not work it may well be that the product is online only. You can also compare in USA using Nextag NexTag - Compare Prices Before You Buy (Canada too I think). I usually find that you can find the lower prices online as the stores do not need to pay overhead of a store so they are selling closer to wholesale.

The other thing I do, aside from laughing at Ondine's Yiddish (schlepp is too funny!), is agree with the others that it is more convenient-and also I will usually buy a product the first time at a store then afterwards go bargain hunting online for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with everyone. LOL fawnie its true I can shop naked if I wanted to thats how convenient online buying really can be. But the point is well taken. I think the best advantage of online shopping is the fact that you can instantly review any product that catches your eye. Take your time , grab a snack with no one rushing you to make the right decisions. Your feet can hurt a lot faster than your butt anyway. And after the first order its not like the 7-30 business days delivery thing can really inconvenience you. I think ppl get used to their products, know how long they last and when to order in advance before they run out.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I always do bulk once I like a product-unfortunately I usually find a new one and have my own warehouse as a result!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
One caveat though: don't get sucked into an automatic reorder option unless you are 100% sure you can cancel at your discretion and not get billed incessantly. Many ppl have horror stories to tell about the hassles and headaches it caused them.....right, Lexi and Mari?

Check out the returns policy carefully too. Unless it's a product that you've used before, what will you do if you have an allergic reaction or find the product is totally wrong for you?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I definitely do not like the auto-order! Fawnie is (as usual) right! I even got stuck in one from a very reputable skincare expert who endorses Relastin. None of them are worth it, anything you cannot choose when you need and what you pay is not worth having!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I usually shop online just because I am never near a store that carries the product. So many online stores, skinstore.com for example, frequently offers a percentage off. On top of that you get rewards points, and I usually meet the free shipping requirements. Can't beat that. THe only problem is trying before you buy and returns. Speak of it, I have a $30 rewards at skinstore that I haven't used yet. That is amazing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I shop online too. I find it easier to find the stuff I need and usually it arrives fairly quickly. I agree with Fawnie, cocktails and online shopping can be dangerous!!! I have gone astray with my credit card on occasion - but then you get lots of parcels in the mail. Sometimes it is just like Christmas!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I shop online too. I find it easier to find the stuff I need and usually it arrives fairly quickly. I agree with Fawnie, cocktails and online shopping can be dangerous!!! I have gone astray with my credit card on occasion - but then you get lots of parcels in the mail. Sometimes it is just like Christmas!!!
Oh yeah we love to see that UPS guy stop at the door!

A friend of mine was a HSN addict and ran up a $400 tab late one night when she was having "a few" drinks after work. She didn't even realize what she'd done til the packages arrived and she saw the Visa bill. Don't drink and shop!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's way too funny fawnie. I have these urges sometimes to just splurge. Maybe if I have a few drinks I would have an excuse for hubby.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oranges
Which cleansing cream are you using?

You can save a TON of money by not watching HSN and QVC!! I try to swap for all my lemmings on MakeupAlley.com. That way I can get rid of my stuff and trade it for someone else's stuff. And I haven't contracted any diseases, no!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
475 Posts
I picked up Dr. Haushka's at the health store two days ago. The press and roll on is a whole new experience for me.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yeah! did you get the hang of it! It feels funny, doesn't it. I think it does a great job of cleaning the pores without stripping the life outta your skin. I rinse well.....a lot more than usual....afterward to get it off. I like to feel clean!

It smells like yeast to me. Do you like it?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I prefer online as well. Not just for skin care but for lots of things. I hate going to the shops. There's no way I'd get an auto order for skin care though because most of my products last for months, some even a year. The only thing that would entice me to do an auto order is if I got a discount for doing it, then I'd cancel it before the next one was due to despatch. I have been known to do that at times. I don't believe in paying any more than you have to for things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts