Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I've been looking to join a community like this for a while, but just found this!

I live in the Midwest and I am an esthetician - I went to school at the Aveda Institute in Denver. I decided to become an esthetican because I was spending all of my free time studying skin care, so why not do it as a career? I look up to Paula Begoun most of all in the beauty industry because she is honest, blunt and quick to get to the point. I am sick of all the claims that the beauty industry dishes out and my goal is to find the products that actually do work! I don't believe in anything unless it has scientific studies to back it up. And I'm talking double-blind, peer reviewed studies not the studies that are funded by the companies themselves.

My skin care interests started when I was 20 years old. I always had pretty great skin all through high school but started breaking out when I was 20. My acne became severe about 2 years ago and since then, with my intense studies, I've been able to remain about 85% clear. But 85% isn't good enough for me. I recently went on Yaz to address possible hormonal issues. Here's my regimen:

Morning -
Olay Gentle Foaming Cleanser
Stridex Power Pads (gentle benzoyl peroxide)
Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner
CeraVe moisturizer if needed

Night -
Olay Gentle Foaming Cleanser
Acne.org Treatment (more aggressive benzoyl peroxide)
Neutrogena 3-in-1 Hydrating Treatment (exfoliation with salicylic)

So glad to find this website!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, it's really bad!

I am SO acne prone and SO oily that I haven't found one yet that I like. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I know, it's really bad!

I am SO acne prone and SO oily that I haven't found one yet that I like. Any suggestions?
Shame on you.
And a Esthetician to boot.

Well I'm currently using one from Bioderma that I like. It really is a trial and error thing as you well know. A well formulated sunscreen is the #1 anti-aging product you can use. Preferably one with ingredients such as the mexoryls or tinosorbs. Found only in European (and Canadian) sunscreens that can be bought online. Although the US does allow mexoryl sx up to a spf 15

http://makeupalley.com/account/sn.as...e=sunscreenFAQ

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

www.skincarecentral.biz/sunscreens-about-.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'm so guilty about it! The foundation that I use has an SPF but lately I've been in such a rush, I've only been applying powder in the mornings. I'm 25 so it's time to start thinking more seriously about anti-aging and skin cancer risks. I'm going to Whole Foods tonight, so I will look there for anything that might be promising!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Vananners, and welcome to the site.
I too am acnee prone have you ever tried the sunscreen by Vichy spf 30?
Normally whenever I wear a sunblock I break out but I haven't yet. I started using it last yr, a friend told me about it. I think it's great stuff ( at least it does the job for me) plus there is some kind of sheen to it, brighten's up my skin.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know. Thanks, Mony! I broke down and bought a cheap Neutrogena sunscreen. We'll see how it goes, but I am definitely keeping my eye open for something better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Foaming cleansers are so bad for the skin. They strip all your water and oil from your skin. You know that feeling you get when you are done washing, your face feels tight? That is not what it should feel like. Anything that foams means it has DETERGENT in it!! I learned about the Science of Skin about 8 years ago and what I am telling you is NOT opinion, I promise you. It's so hard for me to read all these posts because the solution is so simple and most women spend so much money on products they don't need.
I just found this new skin care line from France (they set the bar in skin care-again not opinion, FACT) and it's amazing. Yes, I am selling it but that is not why I am on here. I just wanted to see what people were talking about.
Cream cleansers are the best for ANY skin type. Deeper cleanse, removes dirt, oil and makeup and doesn't strip the water from your skin. Plus, oil breaks down oil (science). If you have oily skin then you need a cleanser that has oil in it to clean your face properly.
After, you want to use a alcohol-free toner or tonic. This will remove any excess cleanser on your face and balance your ph.
Moisturizer, night cream and eye creams are all important too.

I have seen the results. After I went to school for makeup and skin care, I was asked to teach the course in skin care and since then I have done many seminars educating women. Every single woman that has followed this simple regimen has balanced out their skin. My sister was probably the hardest to convince. She likes to try everything and her little sister could not be right about skin care. After 8 years she has finally done exactly what I have told her to do and for the first time, her skin looks amazing! Smooth, even and pretty.

I would be more than happy to discuss this with anyone if you have questions. I've worked at the mall, I've done privates, seminars and events. I've talk to the "every woman" and I have seen the results. I am only here to help. Email me or post!

Love Your Skin

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opinions are welcome but I don't need a sales pitch. The Olay cleanser that I use was carefully selected based on scientific and peer reviews, it is not your typical detergent cleanser. The first 2 ingredients are water and glycerin, I do not get a tight feeling after cleansing. I normally use a pre-cleanse of jojoba oil to remove makeup and sunscreen at the end of the day, followed by my cleanser.

I am an esthetician and have spent the past 7 years submerged in research regarding skin and specifically acne. As the header of my thread is labeled, call me skeptical. Especially when someone is trying to sell and push their products on people, promising a cure-all.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
VotureVuGirl,

I don't understand how:

1. ALL foam cleansers are bad, when there are some that come with the same formula or similar formulas with different delivery methods. Such as a cleanser that comes in gel and in foam formula like The Body Shop's Tea Tree Oil Cleanser. The only thing that changes is the delivery methods so I don't see how that makes sense.

2. Your regimen is said to work for EVERYONE, how is that possible if there are many different types of allergies, skin types, and tolerance levels?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have to agree with Freddy on this one! There are way to many skin afflections for one cleanser to work on all of them properly. Everybody's skin is different. That is why there are so many different cleansers on the market- for all the different types of skin.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i dont think foam means detergent, i always thought it was the aerating pump on the top of the bottle...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You are right Kamakaze! it's the different nozzle, I agree with Freddy in the idea that one cleanser won't cut the mustard for everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Vannaners and Welcome!
I'm pretty new to this forum too. I will begin my 9 month Esthetics program in just a few weeks, and like you I have researched, studied and have been obsessed with my own skin plight for over 20 years. I had great skin as a teenager but when I was in my early twenties I developed and battled horrible disfiguring cystic acne. I had a great dermatologist who thankfully put me on Accutane for 4 months and it gradually
diminished. However the accutane dried my skin. It was completely void of any oil and I was so severely dry and tight. I've forever been on a journey for supple, smooth glowy and dewy skin.. So that's my story. I have a question for you. Why are you using the drug store products if you can use the good stuff from the salon or spa? Just curious.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Giashana, some of the drug stoer brands are better than the spa ones. Not many mind you but there are some. And some of those spas use the same names as the drug stores sells. It all comes down to quality of product....Most spas cannot afford to have a munfacturer make something "for them exclussively" and some do but with little "of the good ingredients" that a cooperation can. It's that quality thing and reading what is in that little bottle before you buy that counts not if where it comes from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks Mony..Where I live most of the salons and spas use Bioelements and Dermalogica and I was under the assumption that those lines are superior. But I am new to this forum. What drugstore products do you like? I use all drugstore stuff right now since I'm on a tight budget.. I use Neutorgena Spf 30 and a milky cleanser from Organics (Target) and night Clinique comfort cream. I just ordered something from Skinactives recently to use at night too called Marine Bioferment Cream.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Well from what I hear, from the beauty boutique sales clerks they can't keep the boots #7 on the shelves. It's been over a year now and the stuff sells out in no time, a lot of the customers swear by it. I've even seen the name mentionned on this site with really good opinions too. Ya don't have to break your piggy bank to look like ya did! hey ask for a sample ya may be suprised! Can't hurt right!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello Vannaners and Welcome!
I'm pretty new to this forum too. I will begin my 9 month Esthetics program in just a few weeks, and like you I have researched, studied and have been obsessed with my own skin plight for over 20 years. I had great skin as a teenager but when I was in my early twenties I developed and battled horrible disfiguring cystic acne. I had a great dermatologist who thankfully put me on Accutane for 4 months and it gradually
diminished. However the accutane dried my skin. It was completely void of any oil and I was so severely dry and tight. I've forever been on a journey for supple, smooth glowy and dewy skin.. So that's my story. I have a question for you. Why are you using the drug store products if you can use the good stuff from the salon or spa? Just curious.
Welcome, Giashana! I'm so glad to hear that Accutane worked for you. Have you tried Aquaphor at night for the dryness? I hear that many people on Accutane have found this to be a godsend. As far as the products I use go, I agree with Mony. Just because drugstore brands are cheaper doesn't mean that they are inferior in quality. In fact, many times they are better formulated. The reason for this is because drugstore companies are often part of bigger corporations that have the money for better testing and therefore are often times ahead on formulating good products for the skin. I'm also on a budget, but I think even if I had the money I wouldn't waste it for something just because of a label. I do splurge if I find something that I love, like my current powder foundation - Makeup Forever Duo Mat from Sephora.

Good luck with your training!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts