Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read posts about skin bleaching and other dangerous ways of lightening skin tone and find it fasinating that people will put themselves through such things.
I am very interested in talking to people about the reasons why they have used such products at the costs of their health and why they want to lighten their skin colour in the first place.
Please share with me!
Thanks,
Leila.

·
Registered
394 Posts
For different reasons, acne scars, hyperpigmentationn, uneven skin tone, things that can make pretty girls look ugly without make up, go figure..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Mt facial features are very fine & small. With a darker skin tone they tend to disappear. My skin has begun lightening & my appearance has improved. Lightening is only dangerous if you use the wrong products for your skin or you abuse products. My skin shows no damage whatsoever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Everyone cares about how they look and today its no secret that the colour of your skin takes a HUGE part in the way you look. Thats not just my opinion by the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah..I agree with you.
In Asia, People likes to look more bright and lighter skin tone.
When we go out in a sunny day, we have to use umbrella to protect us from UV..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
In some cultures it will heavily influence career & marriage options. Who can blame people in these situations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand these reasons, but I don´t understand how people can use products that they know have dangerous side effects, the colour of your skin surely isn´t worth it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I can understand these reasons, but I don´t understand how people can use products that they know have dangerous side effects, the colour of your skin surely isn´t worth it.
In every decision one weighs the benefits vs. the costs involved. The calculation differs for each individual and so each makes a decision for themselves based on their own circumstances. That is the general principle - you cannot begin to understand how people weight the choices but can only respect their decision.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mireckca is right. This can be clearly seen by the countless number of people that spend hours on the beach tanning their skin. It's no secret that tanning can cause skin cancer, but many people find that the beauty gained from a tan outweighs the risk of developing cancer.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That was nicely said, Mireka.

It is true about some of the risks involved in bleaching the skin. There are products out there containing mercury & god knows what else. Unscrupulous vendors sell all sorts of garbage preying off of the desperation of some people. This is partly why forums such as this one are vital. Many of us carefully research(not just read ads!) for diverse 'active ingredients' and post about ways to minmize & mitigate risk factors. Using a product carefully is not the same as abusing the same product.

Leila, you said: "I can understand these reasons, but I don´t understand how people can use products that they know have dangerous side effects, the colour of your skin surely isn´t worth it."

Actually, in many parts of the world the consequences, esp for young women, of being considered dark & therefore unnattractive & unmarriagable can be far worse that the risks of bleaching. In the west, fortunately, a dark-skinned woman can become educated, autonomous, marry & have a family & succeed. That being said, as someone who began lightening in Jan, I can unequivocally confirm that people treat you differently. Not every person, not every time (of course) but had I known this was the case, I'd've done this a decade ago.

I am not looking to snag a successful husband: I HAVE one. I am not seeking to become a pop singer or a model. I really just thought lighter skin would better flatter my features- & it does! I didn't expect or want anything else.

I had a great upbringing with loving parents, both college educated, a nice big house, no history of abuse, neglect or addiction. I've been blessed & fortunate. I do not suffer from self esteem issues. Typically, people guess my age at 25 (I'm over 40). I am slim & fit & my life is good. The myth that people who desire to lighten their skin hate themselves is just wrong.

As far as risks go, crossing the street is many times riskier than using lightening creams. So is driving a car. As for the dreaded horrors of HQ use, in the entire history of its use in the USA, there have been only 30 confirmed cases of severe HQ damage. More people will win the lotto in any given week than that.

Where whiteness carries privilege, those who have it will seek to exclude those who do not & make it hard to obtain to maintain their exclusivity. This is why it is easier to get ahold of a military assault rifle (in an inner city) than to get ahold of a high potency effective skin lightener.

Lighter skin can be life changing. Those who have successfully lightened all say it did so for them. I was skeptical until it began happening in my own life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not allowed to post links yet, but I did find one south beach company marketing a lightener for your "intimate" areas. It said "is your wink pink?" Apparently females and I suppose gay males like to have certain areas "pinker" than others.....I was shocked when I saw that. who buys that????

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I am not allowed to post links yet, but I did find one south beach company marketing a lightener for your "intimate" areas. It said "is your wink pink?" Apparently females and I suppose gay males like to have certain areas "pinker" than others.....I was shocked when I saw that. who buys that????
O,

What a riot!!! You're from FL, right? Have you ever noticed ppl sunning with thongs? Or without, for that matter! And how certain "exposed" areas can look, well, not as nice as the rest of the skin? You seem to have the idea already. Leave it to South Beach to come up with a new need for a product!!

I think this is funny, but OY! what if someone had a reaction to it! Not so funny for them!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I saw that stuff advertized too
I almost died laughing. I don't remember what the content list was, though. Imagine having that stuff malfunction on you?
YIKES!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
What I find outrageous with bleach creams is the way they sell them at such ridiculous prices for such small quantities. There ought to be some regulation in pricing. consumers are getting fleeced. They claim their products contain 'rare' ingredients or 'exclusive' formulations. When you actually verify the contents, they are quite ordinary: nothing costly (just check the costs of these chemicals from compounding pharmacies or bulk sellers!). Manufacturers of these creams get their ingredients for a song. WE are paying for advertizing & packaging. This is another reason to be careful before spending your money. Do not be fooled by slick ads or websites. This just speaks to the skills of some web designer who probably doesn't use or give a damn about the product. they design websites that make the client's products or services look good. that's it. Packaging creates an illusion of desirability & exclusiveness. I just care if the package is appropriate for the product. Face it: once it is empty, we discard it! I want the maximum amt of my investment to pay for the actual contents. I will only use products whose ingredients and concentrations have been proven in objective scientific studies to be effective & safe if used according to instructions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts