Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I found the forum through google.com's search engine.

I am a 24 white female with oily; sensitive skin and large pores, I have used different products in my years and I have not yet found something that works together. I have very little blackheads and my break-outs are all stress related.

When I clean my pores with a piece of toilet paper and a firm press with my thumbnail, they are full of oil and dirt. I am in need of help, ladies and gents!

I remember hearing from someone that Nutrogena works well for oily skin, and if so, would this be true?

WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT I USE?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need a good skin care regime targeted at oily skin. You also need to use a facial exfoliator to clean the pores once to twice per week. For stress I'd recommend lots of exercise, meditation, relaxation time

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Sacrilege,

I am 28, I didn't begin the whole skincare thing till I had my face looked at by a magnifying glass by someone at Dermalogica- I would really recommend seeing someone from there as even if you don't buy their products, they offer a great deal of advice and let you know what's going on in your skin. I never actually knew all the reasons for exfoliation for example- such as it can help prevent ageing signs. They do have lots of stuff you can buy, but its all mega pricey- the Jersey Skin company do it at an excellent price but its till very expensive!
I would try to see if a dermalogica person can assess your skin and let you know what type they think you are in case its combination or oily all over.

I wash my face twice a day, with a cleanser which is very simple and not going to irritate my skin (and so make it react and for you this could be product more oil) so maybe keeping it simple would help?- ie as tempting as it is, try to steer clear of any oil stripping stuffs! Clinique do an excellent liquid soap, it lasts for ages and ages- like months and months but does a really good job. The consultants can also help you out with freebies if you visit them at quieter times!

I then tone my face after cleansing it- I used to ignore this part, it seemed like an expensive waste of money, but went back on that when dry skin patches appeared on my skin after a few weeks and didn't react to exfoliation. I then read that toning is actually important as it not only takes off any cleanser that gets trapped in your pores (and so can cause your skin to react badly) but it also exfoliates your skin- picking off dead skin cells as you do so. I used to use a separate toner on a cotton woll pad- but this just costs so much and is so much effort! so I just do this once a day and the second part of the day, use a baby wipe to do the same thing. I have had no problems as yet and its been a month so far...

I then apply a facial cream- putting it into th palm of my hand first to warm it up- this helps your skin to absorb it as if its too cold, your skin pores naturally close and this makes it much harder for your skin to absorb anything. Its worth looking for a mattifying moisturiser if you have oily skin, the best ones I have seen are by Origins and one which uses rice which L'Occitaine do. I am sure there are loads out there. It has made a difference to use a different day cream to night cream- my day cream has an SPF in it, my night cream has vitamins and is quite dense, so my skin can absorb something during the night when I am asleep. Seems to work for me anyway!

Exfoliation or using a microdermabrasion wash is also important as it -for me- removes dry flakey skin, but its also recommended for oily skin too as it can remove oily build up. Its recommended to wash (after your cleanser, before your toner) twice to three times a week.

Good luck with finding a routine that works for you! I would like to advise products which work for me, but I have mega dry skin and its probably no use to you- I do think though, trying as many mini samples as you can find (visit beauty counters and say your looking for new ranges to find what works for you) will really help- thats what I did and found that Clarins, Clinique, Dr Nick Lowe and Origins are all great for me and also certain products from Nivea, Olay, Eurecine- (but not all) whilst L'oreal, Vaseline, Boots No.7, Estee Lauder and Elizabeth Arden just don't help me out at all and my skin throws a tantrum and I end up with white heads! I am sure it varys from person to person,
The more expensive brands will give you free samples, the cheaper brands often have websites that will mail you a sample (like L'oreal, Eurecin and Nivea)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I suggest using Origins Clear Complexion mask a few times a week. It is awesome at sucking impurities out of the skin. It's a charcoal mask and charcoal is used to suck impurities out for example if you swallow something bad they will send charcoal down to your stomach. It works the same on your skin. I love this mask. I keep it around and my husband got metal in his skin one time. I used this mask to draw it up. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i suggest something 100% natural since synthetic things will make it worse...you should read through all the ingredients and search them cause what you put on your skin is important

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problems. I take a supplement called Blemish Guard (you can buy it at wholefoods or get it online). It's by a company called KAL. For external cleansing I use the Alpha-beta cleanser and the Blemex spot treatment from Professional Solutions (they are private label so google them). Also, drink lots of water (at least 1 to 2 liters a day) and make sure you're getting enough sleep. I find that my skin produces more oil and more breakouts when I lack sleep. Hope I helped = )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts