Skin Care Talk banner

Skin Care Products & Gluten

824 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gabro14 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a such a problem with skin care products. I have Celiac Disease & have just learned that skin products may contain gluten & can be absorbed through the skin. Anyone else have this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Jace

#2 ·
I did a search for this because there is a possibility that I have Celiac disease. I know this thread is from 2008, but does anyone know if I need to stay away from certain products/ingredients, and if so...which ones? Anything that says "gluten free" is obvious, but I'm thinking there are ingredients that contain gluten and I have no clue how to decipher if they are made up of gluten! I'll have my test results on Wednesday. I'm sure my GI doctor won't know a thing about skincare products!

#3 ·
My best friend isn't celiac, but severely gluten intolerant.
Gluten is in wheat, barley, & rye; those are the three you have to watch out for. Haven't seen those in my skincare products, but it's only a problem if you ingest it
Some toothpaste can contain gluten, so that you might have to adjust.
Also, as far as eating goes, sometimes they'll throw gluten in with food to 'thicken' it up (ie. soups), so even if you don't think something would have gluten in it doesn't mean its not in there, be careful! Good luck with everything!

#4 ·
Thanks so much for your response

Good to know I don't have to worry about skin products, unless I decide to eat them
(the pumpkin peel is the only tempting one though!). Also, I checked all my vitamins and supplements and they are gluten free. I find out the results tomorrow. Good to know about the use of gluten as a thickener

Thanks again for the info! Much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.