Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little skeptical over # of products to apply to my face & wonder what's really necessary & what is just a company's scheme to get us to buy more. I'd like to keep it simple & inexpensive & even better if it can combat aging as well. I have dry skin but it's sensitive & tends to break out with too much physical or chemical abrasion (i.e., microdermabrasions).

This is my skin care regime & would like your opinion. I wash at night only, apply a nightime thicker moisturizer (ponds), apply a eyecream (loreal - its actually a serum), brush lips & apply lip balm.

Daytime I usually just wipe my face as I feel it was cleansed in the evening & don't need more overdrying. I use a light moisturizer (purpose with an spf of 15), don't generally use eye cream b/c I find they don't absorb quickly enough before applyign make-up & then follow with primer/concealer/foundation & rest of make-up. Is there something I should be doing that will actually have benefit? I'm 43 & do have some age related issues I'd like to deal with (although I look about 10 yrs younger) but don't know which way to turn.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Why do you only wash once? You could wash twice with a good cleanser that won't dry your face. Good quality ones won't dry your face out.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Michie, I'm with Freddy regarding questioning why you don't wash your face in the morning. Your night moisturizer is heavy and is bound to leave a residue on your face. I would recommend a light cleanser to be used in the morning. Once or twice a week I would use an exfoliant -- there are many that aren't harsh. I would also use a light eye cream or serum in the morning. Serums generally soak into your skin quite fast. If you prefer a cream, put it on first before your moisturizer; I have combination but mainly oily skin and use light textured products. Sometimes the product still feels tacky so I use skin blotters to remove any excess oil, then if I want to apply makeup I will. I'm trying to get my skin to the point where makeup isn't necessary. Talk to a cosmetician at a large department store; often they will analyze your skin and make recommendations. You don't have to take their advice and continue your own regime. Good for you looking 10 years younger. What do you attribut that to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't need to spend lots of money on your skincare products, that is true. But remember, the big brands are charging you for advertising and there huge company costs. The smaller, more unusual brands tend to have better quality ingredients I think.
Freddy & Mari are right, you should use a light cleanser in the morning. But the right moisturiser is key for you. caring for your skin now will make sure you stay looking younger. Keep it hydrated. Have you tried Korres? They have some amazing products!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You don't need to spend lots of money on your skincare products, that is true. But remember, the big brands are charging you for advertising and there huge company costs. The smaller, more unusual brands tend to have better quality ingredients I think.
Freddy & Mari are right, you should use a light cleanser in the morning. But the right moisturiser is key for you. caring for your skin now will make sure you stay looking younger. Keep it hydrated. Have you tried Korres? They have some amazing products!
Hi I looked up Korres products they look great! please tellme which products you have enjoyed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses.

In answer to some of your questions:
I don't wash in the am b/c I felt what could have gotten dirty if I washed before bed. As recommended by a dermatologist I use cetaphil or purpose to wash my face. I thought having a residue from the nighttime moisturizer was a good thing - a little extra oils to help the dry skin.

I have not found any eye creams or serums that absorb, so I only use one at night - don't really notice any difference by using it though. Didn't think of using a blotting cloth in the am though, so I might give that a try.

I will look into Korres though.

I think the reason I look younger is probably genetics but the dryness, blotchiness & fine lines that I notice are still enough to bother me.

what is considered a "good quality" moisturizer? What should I be looking for? My dermatologist just said look for non-comedogenic.

Going to a cosmetician at a dept store - do I choose a skin care line such as clinique? Don't you end up feeling pressured to buy their products?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Large department stores usually have individual counters for their products. If you select a product such as Clinique they will suggest products for your skin --you don't have to buy their product. If they suggest a product for instance a day moisturizer, ask why their product is better than mfg.XYZ -- what top ingredient is in the product and what does it target. Some stores just have large displays of all sorts of products with knowlegeable cosmeticians on hand to answer questions. These are the stores I prefer, and oftentimes they will give you samples to try.

Your derm gave you good advice but for me a good moisturizer should soak into my skin leaving feeling non-oily -- no residue -- otherwise the product is sitting on top of my skin doing absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What didn't work: Oil of Olay, Elizabeth Grant, Serious Skin Care, Adrien Arpel's signature A, Wei East, Carol Alt Raw, Dr. Denese, Dr. Perricone, Philosophy & more.

What helped temporarily: Aminogenesis for 4 months then stopped.

What always works: Noxzema, but I need more now.

Okay, I talked with Tina at skinn, Dimitri's sister, a sweetheart that took the time to help me figure out a plan. LOVE that Tina has been with me as I go through this testing period.

I am following instructions from Dimitri, via Tina. I have never taken great care of my skin, lots of cover up to age 38 when it suddenly then was no longer a priority. (I lost 13 years of beauty due to a massive stroke that left half my body paralyzed {not face}). So now that I'm in a tricked out power wheelchair & have more mobility, I'm trying to get my skin looking as good as it can. My skin is VERY sensitive, finicky, normal to oily, dry spots, roseacea on right cheek and I turn 51 VERY soon.

My regemin to good skin:
1). Skinn Microdermabrasion once a week, (One step easy smells & feels great). (the first 3 weeks my face went berserk in breakouts). The microdermabrasion pulls the yuck from your pores & dead skin cells that are ready to come off. Week 4, Skinn microdermabrasion once a week, though the face now only breaks out for that day, then my skin is very pretty, smooth & glowing for 6 days.

2). 2X daily cleanse with Skinn sulfate free exfoliating cleanser & follow it with Orchid mattefying gel. No make-up, very rare I wear make-up(every other month?), it's such a hassle and not as easy as it used to be for me.
3). Will begin the crease release day cream (creams are usually too rich for my skin, but need a light moisturizer) and night eye balm & lip 3X lip volumizing serum soon (a little loss of elasticity around eyes).
Will keep you updated.
Happy 2010 to all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts