Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this belongs here or not, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

What is the best way to prevent your skin from darkening?

My face, arms, and even my lower legs *which are not even exposed to the sun since I NEVER wear shorts* are about 5 shades darker than my skin that isn't exposed.

I know that one answer is "don't expose your skin to the sun", but that doesnt explain my lower legs changing

What do you guys do to prevent your face and arms from darkening? Is tehre any products that can help?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Some change in colour may be genetically driven much in the same way that most people who were blonde as children go brunette as they pass puberty. Did this same thing happen to many others in your family? If so, it may not be preventable. If you begin using a lightening cream, you may be able to offset this effect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, I didn't mean a permanent change.

Under my shirt and jeans I have lighter skin than the skin that is exposed to the sun. It is a given that that will happen, but how do you prevent that, especialy for the face and the neck which are two parts that are harder to cover than your arms.

Are there any other ways besides clothes? Any products that reflect the rays more?

Everytime I go swimming people see the massive color change on me an that is so embarresing. My body is light but my exposed parts are so dark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SUNSCREEN ALL OVER! That's the only way. And I'm talking SPF 30 and higher. Make sure it has Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide at a higher percentage (6-7%). You can try to also exfoliate your skin to remove the pigments already there.

I don't know if this belongs here or not, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

What is the best way to prevent your skin from darkening?

My face, arms, and even my lower legs *which are not even exposed to the sun since I NEVER wear shorts* are about 5 shades darker than my skin that isn't exposed.

I know that one answer is "don't expose your skin to the sun", but that doesnt explain my lower legs changing

What do you guys do to prevent your face and arms from darkening? Is tehre any products that can help?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Send a pm to a member named FAWNIE. She knows EVERYTHING about sunblocks. Whenever I have a question about this, I check out her posts on the subject.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How frequent should I exfoliate and what is the best products to use to exfoliate my body and face?

EDIT: I would ask Fawnie but I can't pm until 15 posts ;(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every day, using AHA's like glycolic or lactic serum or cream. A percentage of 10% would be great. There are a lot of products out there. Try to go to an esthetician. A professional skin care person would help you make the right choice. As for the sunscreen, there is a company called Fallene that makes a real great sunscreen for the face: Total Block SPF 65 You can find it all over the internet. It has physical and chemical sunscreen. Put it on in the morning before you go outside (30 min before) and reapply every 2-3 hrs if you are outside a lot, which I would strongly discourage anyway. Exposure to the sun will only aggravate the situation.
For the body sunscreen, make sure you buy something that has a high physical sunscreen percentage (titanium or/and zinc oxide). Go to the store and start reading ingredients on the bottles.

How frequent should I exfoliate and what is the best products to use to exfoliate my body and face?

EDIT: I would ask Fawnie but I can't pm until 15 posts ;(

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Exfoliating should be done gently. Do not scrape at yourself. Over-exfoliating is a mistake many make. Using Retin A will naturally speed exfoliation as it dissolves the connective tissue holding the dead skin in place. It'll roll off on the shower with a wet washcloth & working in gentle circles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I did a bad job of preventing skin darkening this weekend by going to Florida and spending a day on the beach. I used zinc oxide and Neutrogena 75 SPF, which I applied at least every hour on my face, and maybe every hour + on my arms and legs. I spent half my time in the water, and the other as far under a beach umbrella as I could. I STILL got burned on my body, and even a light pink on my face. I'm mad at myself, but other than just not going at all, I'm not sure how I could've prevented this. On a positive note, I think it's amazing that I didn't get blistered considering how much HQ4%, Retin-A, and peels I've been using lately. That had to make me more predisposed to sun.

Oddly enough, the freckling is less this time than usual. It looks like just the overall tone of my skin darkened without a lot of freckles all over. Weird.

But nonetheless, I feel like I'm starting all over again. Prevention would include not going to the beach or pool!

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Well I did a bad job of preventing skin darkening this weekend by going to Florida and spending a day on the beach. I used zinc oxide and Neutrogena 75 SPF, which I applied at least every hour on my face, and maybe every hour + on my arms and legs. I spent half my time in the water, and the other as far under a beach umbrella as I could. I STILL got burned on my body, and even a light pink on my face. I'm mad at myself, but other than just not going at all, I'm not sure how I could've prevented this. On a positive note, I think it's amazing that I didn't get blistered considering how much HQ4%, Retin-A, and peels I've been using lately. That had to make me more predisposed to sun.

Oddly enough, the freckling is less this time than usual. It looks like just the overall tone of my skin darkened without a lot of freckles all over. Weird.

But nonetheless, I feel like I'm starting all over again. Prevention would include not going to the beach or pool!
What a bummer. At least you tried, applying sunscreen every hour is better than most people do. Thank goodness you didn't get blistered-now that would be awful!!

You said it perfect- "prevention would include not going to the beach or pool!" But we do have to live a little sometimes-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
What a bummer. At least you tried, applying sunscreen every hour is better than most people do. Thank goodness you didn't get blistered-now that would be awful!!

You said it perfect- "prevention would include not going to the beach or pool!" But we do have to live a little sometimes-
Go to the pool or beach in the morning or late evening/night. That way you get the good without the bad.

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Go to the pool or beach in the morning or late evening/night. That way you get the good without the bad.
Oh peri you have an answer for everything-
but you are absolutely right! Beach before noon and pool after 6-

·
Registered
108 Posts
We were visiting family and it was a group thing, otherwise I would've avoided that midday sun. You could tell we were tourists, we were the whitest family on the beach.

I wonder now about the overall skin color vs. freckles. My daughter gets a few freckles but tans overall. I don't see any new freckles, just a few darkening places that are those letigos or whatever you call it - like a group of freckles that have blended together into one larger spot?

Anyway, back to the usual grind today now that I'm home. Sunscreen and no real sun exposure save the time in the car or from my office window.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I kn ow what you are referring to: those are lentigines. Notoriously tough to get rid of. Real pains in the @$$. Now that you're home, you can return to your routine. Just a warning: many who have trouble with HQ are those who use it, then go in the sun, redarken, then use it over again in a cyclical pattern. Just make sure you do not let this happen to you often just in case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You betcha. Lentigines are what I have most then, on my nose, two particularly stubborn ones on my cheek, and on my shoulders. I wouldn't mind a cute sprinkling of freckles like when I was 6, but not these large, dark things. I know the HQ4% and Retin-A have been working because I went lighter in a shade of concealer, but now I'm back to square one, or nearly at least.

Thanks for the terminology. With it, I found info on sun damage and what I have that I'm trying desperately to lighten.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this question, but has anyone tried DIY freezing to remove flat warts and moles?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Not on myself, but my brothers had warts sometimes when they were younger & my mother used some home freezing solution to rid them of them. It worked too. The 'milk' inside the stem of dandelions is a home remedy that goes back to antiquity (& it is FREE). It is also good for acne too. Just an idea...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Do you have a link to the neutrogena sunblock that you use? Gonna test a few products and this sounds good. Is it seperate from the product that you have that uses zinc oxide?

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Not on myself, but my brothers had warts sometimes when they were younger & my mother used some home freezing solution to rid them of them. It worked too. The 'milk' inside the stem of dandelions is a home remedy that goes back to antiquity (& it is FREE). It is also good for acne too. Just an idea...
Really ondine the milk from a dandelion? What exactly would you do? Apply it to the wart? And how often? This is interesting. I have a tiny one on the side of my nose that the derm has tried to cut out and freeze and the little booger always comes back. Maybe I will try the dandelion method. Can't hurt it-

1 - 20 of 32 Posts