Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloo

I have been wondering about skin moisturizers and such (for use on my face).

Im asian, and my skin seems to fluctuate between medium/above-average oiliness to very dry. The dryness seems to usually occur at night, and the oiliness during the middle of the day.

What kind of moisturizers should i use? Like, are there certain ingredients i should be looking for in my skin products and ones that i should be avoiding due to my skin's prone to being above average oiliness?

Will using different products during the night/day be more effective? Any suggestions or advice would be helpful! Thanks =)

(btw, just a side question.. do people with really silky smooth skin.. is that genetics or good skin care + products? Is is possible for someone with medium skin quality to go to really nice smooth skin with just.. proper care and product or are we stuck?)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi Joshie,

You can take two approaches, one is to find a product that is designed for combination skin, or you can attack each situation as it comes with two different products.

Does your oiliness result in acne? If so, you should look for products designed specifically for oily acne-prone skin. At night you should try to avoid overly moisturising products since they can lead to clogged pores.

Alternatively, it might be that dryness at night that aggrevates your skin and causes you to produce more oil during the day.

You can try using blotting papers during the day to remove the shine from high areas such as cheeks and forehead.

To be completely honest with you, in my opinion, I think that smooth skin comes from genetics with a minor part coming from the products used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Helloo

I have been wondering about skin moisturizers and such (for use on my face).

Im asian, and my skin seems to fluctuate between medium/above-average oiliness to very dry. The dryness seems to usually occur at night, and the oiliness during the middle of the day.

What kind of moisturizers should i use? Like, are there certain ingredients i should be looking for in my skin products and ones that i should be avoiding due to my skin's prone to being above average oiliness?

Will using different products during the night/day be more effective? Any suggestions or advice would be helpful! Thanks =)

(btw, just a side question.. do people with really silky smooth skin.. is that genetics or good skin care + products? Is is possible for someone with medium skin quality to go to really nice smooth skin with just.. proper care and product or are we stuck?)

Thanks again!
Hi,

Combination skin requires special treatment. As already suggested, use skin care products that are specifically formulated to cater to combination skin. And also, make sure your moisturizer is water based and not oil based. Try using moisturizing serums and gels. That should help your skin.

Good luck

Marilynn

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that you are confusing dehydration with oiliness. What you experience as dryness at night is in fact dehydration,a.k.a. lack of water in the skin. The amount of oil your skin produces has nothing to do with its water content. It seems you need first a cleanser and toner for combination skin, or a face wash that does not contain soap. Only after you cleanse well should you use a night cream for combination skin. The night cream, if properly formulated, will nourish and rebalance your skin. In the morning I suggest you use a light, water based moisturizer with SPF.
Good skin is a result of both genetics and good skin care. Genetics will carry you until you turn 30, then if your skin care is poor, even the best genetics won't help. On the other hand, if you have a good skin care routine and adjust it to the skin's needs, you will end up with better and younger looking skin in the long run.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's not true. My dad is well into his fifties and his skin is good, and he just uses water and a bar of soap to wash his face. It's genetics. I see lots of old ladies at the spa that go there often and their skin still looks like crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts