Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed that even with sunblock and without HQ use during the day, that skin tans more darker than it used to with HQ? Im wondering if its because all the exfoliation made the skin more sensitive so it reacts easily with the sun or if its just HQ, HQ is a developer used to develop the black ink in oldschool photos. I need some reassurance, idk if its my way of thinking but sometimes even if it get 5 minutes of sun in the parking lot its like hte skin is darker, or sensitive.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
stop using Hydroquinone to bleach/lighten your skin !
think about it....why would you use a chemical substance that is used to develop photos ?
i used to take a class in high school that had us developing photos....
and mind you....the process of development was so serious. we had to wear gloves, masks...the whole nine.
hydroquinone has mercury, steroids and other harmful things in it. mercury is deadly...and has been removed from many things....(I.E thermometers, batteries.) so why would you want that on your skin ! steroids can produce unwanted things, like facial hair on women, stretch marks and other unsightly things ! i personally think bleaching is wrong, but that's just my opinion. if people want to bleach i say do so, but do it safely. there are natural things that naturally lighten skin...just please find those ways and not use something very, very harmful such as Hydroquinone....a lady used it that i know, and now her skin is even DARKER than before. and also it is blotchy, not very pretty. and to keep up the new lighter appearance, you have to maintain to use the hydroquinone because if you don't, the melanin will hyper-activate and you will become even darker from the first time. going outside without a sun screen will always be a problem, because you will burn (NOT tan). look at michael jackson, every time he went outside, he had an umbrella, EVERY time. (even though he wasn't using hydroq.) thatyou might as well take up a smoking habit. you will need to keep buying it. just put some deep thought into it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Maybe you should reduce the strength of your product. Have you used lighteners before? Maybe your skin needs time to adjust to it. I've used HQ on and off for a while and I live in a very sunny part of the US.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another thing, I can't recall ever using sunblock on my face. Even when I was super-light.

ETA(edited to add): I'm not recommending anyone who uses sunblock on their 'face' to stop doing so. I'm, just, mentioning, I don't. Haven't yet, as far as I can remember.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you goddess, you are probably right, maybe its the frequent use of HQ, I probably should cut back, thats the kind of response I wanted. Newbie up there on the other hand gave us very UNEDUCATED and INGNORANT responses such as "hydroquinone has mercury, steroids and other harmful things in it" are you freaking kidding me??? you do know that hydroquinone, mercury, and steroids are completely different actives and they are not part of the composition for any of them unless you mix them together. And if you think "bleaching is wrong" then get off this board. I wont be surpised if your next post happens to contain the product NUR76 with catch phrases. And one more thing, if you think "bleaching is wrong" then why would you also say "if people want to bleach i say do so", if someone thinks something is wrong then they obviously dont promote it even if there is a "but". I STRONGLY recommend you cultivate the rational/logical part of your brain.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you goddess, you are probably right, maybe its the frequent use of HQ, I probably should cut back, thats the kind of response I wanted. Newbie up there on the other hand gave us very UNEDUCATED and INGNORANT responses such as "hydroquinone has mercury, steroids and other harmful things in it" are you freaking kidding me??? you do know that hydroquinone, mercury, and steroids are completely different actives and they are not part of the composition for any of them unless you mix them together. And if you think "bleaching is wrong" then get off this board. I wont be surpised if your next post happens to contain the product NUR76 with catch phrases. And one more thing, if you think "bleaching is wrong" then why would you also say "if people want to bleach i say do so", if someone thinks something is wrong then they obviously dont promote it even if there is a "but". I STRONGLY recommend you cultivate the rational/logical part of your brain.
lol @ Newbie. I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm not a newbie to knowing what things are in certain compounds. and i do think it's wrong, so what. so have a lot of people that have posted on this forum. i stumbled upon this forum while looking for information on Lil' Kim. I was doing research on skin lightening and skin bleaching. and no, i am not promoting anything. especially not any skin lightening agents. i say it's wrong to bleach, but i didn't judge you for doing so. many of my family and friends do things that i don't agree with or hate, but i still love them just the same. i don't judge people. hey, life is short and do what you feel. i just myself, would not do the same. and judging by your avatar, you look very fair skinned....what would even be your point to even lighten something that is already light ? Light skin people that bleach, some end up with skin that looks similar to Vilitigo ...it looks weird. and 98% of the time hydroquinone does have these metals and things MIXED into it. Arsenic, mercury and others are also components. all i simply said was to use something safer. and your ready to jump down my throat. there are safer ways to do the lightening process. it may take longer, but risking your health over being healthy would be a logical reason to lighten safely. which is all I'm simply trying to state. read between the lines and stop seeing the negative that you think I'm trying to express.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not lightening my face but parts of my abs that I got hyperpigmentation and blotchiness from being out in the sun frequently including all summer where I had to do work on the beach. What you are trying to say that is Hydroquinone compromises your health? WELL, there is NO documented proof of that in humans only those who use it in combination with arsenics/mercury and other unknown substances. And what is this I hear: 98% of the times HQ does have metals and thing? if you looked through the forum, we dont use whatever HQ we can get our hands on blindly, we use HQ that is pure in its original form not MIXED in with other substances. You said to use something SAFER? SO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM THAT ARE USING HQ ARE RISKING THEIR HEALTH? HQ IS NOT SAFE? im scared, I think I need some reassurance again. OF COURSE IM READY TO JUMP DOWN YOUR THROAT: you are not not making any VALID points that could be backed up with SCIENTIFIC proof when you talk about HQ safety, you only talk of the people that MISUSED it IN COMBINATION with other ingredients not not HQ by itself.

PS. - sweetheart, when you say "its WRONG to bleach" that in itself is a JUDGEMENT, so how are you also going to say "but I dont judge you for doing so" in the same sentence, thats in CONTRADICTION.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
This well intentioned person is misguided. Thanks for setting the record straight. I'm going to add a link to the factual research re HQ. IF it is adulterated with mercury (etc) it IS unsafe. this is true of anything whatsoever adulterated with mercury. As for safety in handling HQ in its raw form, we take every precaution.

·
Registered
395 Posts
@ freakymindset, we've heard this all before. There is always one who has to stick in this sort of post on a regular basis. We know that some HQ products can contain mercury as well as other chemicals that are harmful to the skin.

While I wont personally waste my time explaining in full, (because you are by far not the first person to offer your anti-bleaching opinion) those of us who compound do take such precautions and make risks aware to many users of this forum.

If you'd like to further your research, take another look through the forum. And yes, we'll be ready to jump down your throats especially in the way your post has come across.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rant over. lol

@ lighten, ive noticed sometimes that skin can appear darker upon application of sunscreen. Also, if you are using RA, it can also cause the skin to look darker at first before peeling away as I have found, as the HQ is penetrating to the skin beneath.

As I use AHAs/BHAs (inc RA and HQ) my skin is very sensitive. HQ is reducing the melanin production (which protects you from the suns rays) so you are more likely to burn. I didnt wear a hat while waiting at the bus-stop for about 15 mins with only a little bit of sunscreen and my top lip got it. You should be applying a good sunscreen very regularly and you should be covered up when using HQ.

Less exposure is key especially in very strong sun.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another thing, I can't recall ever using sunblock on my face. Even when I was super-light.

ETA(edited to add): I'm not recommending anyone who uses sunblock on their 'face' to stop doing so. I'm, just, mentioning, I don't. Haven't yet, as far as I can remember.
^What was my point in that?
Lol!

·
Registered
410 Posts
well LNL like i said in previous posts, you definitely tan darker and easier under HQ influenced skin. Even with sunblock on. You can't help it, only way is to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Think of it as a lifestyle choice rather than something that you MUST do. The reason that it darkens or seems too, is because the lighter exposed skin has less melanin in it, when light shines on it for extended periods your body naturally reacts and signals melanocytes to speed up production of melanin. This makes the skin UNDER the lighter skin darker. So while the skin above it is lighter, the darker tan underneath glows. So to reverse this, the skin above the tan must exfoliate away, making you look even darker. When the darker skin is exposed use HQ as per usual and when this skin exfoliates, then you shall start lighten again. In other words HQ influenced skin "tans darker" for lack of a better description. It doesnt REALLY tan darker just LONGER (if you catch what i'm saying). It usually takes 3x as long to remove pigmentation on HQ treated skin. This is different for someone who was not using HQ before, because the skin underneath the surface would of been protected from the Melanin saturated skin above. Hope this helps, ive done extensive research on the Sun and its effects on HQ treated skin because of where I live. I have found though that wearing a normal "cap" with tested UVA/UVB shielding sun-glasses as well as a strong SPF sunblock can SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the darkening, by about 80% in my experience. Even in long hours of exposure, I was out yesterday for 4 hours in "mid-day" sun. VERY HOT! Of course I sought refuge in the shade wherever I could. And when I got home, I really didn't see a difference at all. Maybe a weeeeee bit and before 2 hours with sunblock alone caused a significant darkening effect. Just to give you an idea. Thanks for reading, hope this helps, Happy Lightening!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there is a serum out htere, probaly the vitamin C or some other concoction that when used under the SUNBLOCK, it further helps protect the skin from darkening/tanning with HQ.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts