Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been browsing through a few posts on the skin lightening forum portion of skincaretalk.com, and I think there are a good number of experienced members here who can help me, more than I'd find elsewhere, anyway.

I've done my research on skin whitening/lightening products, but still don't know which to trust. I've been considering Gluta-C (glutathione skin whitening pills), MelaDerm, and Bio Claire.
I've heard of glutathione pills not being very effective because the percentage of glutathione often isn't high enough, or just because it's an ineffective pill. Does anyone have any experience with Gluta-C?

In doing my research about MelaDerm, I've seen mostly positive testimonials, and it is often ranked highly on skin whitening review websites. However, I don't think natural ingredients work as well as chemical ingredients, and it's expensive and comes in small quantity.

I've read plenty of stories about Bio Claire thinning the skin as a side effect, despite its success.

Before I say more/ask more about what I should do, I'll tell you what exactly I am trying to do...My current skin color is painfully uneven. Not as in patches or age spots, just the natural color of it. I have dark elbows and knees, and my backside is a shade darker than the front side of my body. I don't know why. I haven't gone out in the sun in at least a year: I've been avoiding the sun on purpose. I get about 1-2 minutes of minor sun exposure per day, just getting out of cars and taking out trash and that sort of thing. I use sunscreen if I'm ever out for an extended period of time (rarely).
My skin color also changes with the lighting. In natural sunlight, I'm a golden-beige or "yellowish" color, medium-light, I guess. Like tanned Caucasian skin. In shaded areas, I'm about...un-edited Aishwarya Rai, perhaps a bit lighter, in fact. I don't like that and my dark knees and elbows (they're a ridiculous contrast, very dark).
My goal is FIRST to get my knees and elbows even with the rest of my skin. THEN to get my back caught up with my face and torso. And then, overall, I'd like to go very light...I'm already very fair for a non-Caucasian/Asian, as I've described, but I'd like kind of a yellowish white Asian skin color.

Did that make sense???

So, what I'm asking is, are there any brilliant products you'd recommend? I've been considering monobenzone, but the horror stories are frightening. Furthermore, it's difficult to find reliable online monobenzone suppliers within the US (please suggest some!). Would you recommend monobenzone for what I'm trying to do? If not, what? I've tried 2% hydroquinone for months on my knees and elbows and see minor results (not enough!). For 4% I'd need a perscription, and anything above 4 percent hydroquinone is banned in the United States.

I'm open to any and all useful suggestions! I've had the dream of lightening my skin for years now. I'm serious about doing this!

~Thank you to all those who offer their time.

(Oh, and I attached a thumbnail image to better illustrate things. My skin right now is within the "medium beige" family, with lighter yellow undertones, "Golden Beige" at darkest. My goal right now is "Fair--slightly yellow Base").

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, and welcome to the board antithesis! I am definitely NOT a vet by any means, and I'm sure the "vets" will soon make their way over to your thread and give you some great advice. I just wanted to chime in on the HQ 4% issue. There are a lot of people here, who have had success ordering from a low cost source without the need of a prescription. Check this link out for the sources, if you do decide you are going with the HQ. Just scroll down to post#12

http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...html#post51044

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know several of the members here have ordered from these sources successfully, I don't know if either sell beyond 10% HQ. You can e-mail them though...HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, is the "fairnglow" website a good source of monobenzone? Has anyone had experiences with them?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've ordered from F&G as have others here. For what your goals are, mono is NOT an option. You are quite fair already. Follow HisDesire's advice & go with 4% HQ. First, lighten the darker parts to blend them in as well as you can. Areas with thicker skin tend to be darker than the thinner skinned areas. They also respond more slowly to the lightening creams. Lightening them first, will enable you achieve a beautiful final result.

Please do not confound doing research with reading ad copy on vendors' websites. Anything that claims you can inject or swallow it & significantly lighten is patently false. I haven't seen a shred of compelling evidence that these methods are either safe or effective.

As light as you are, 4% will be perfect. Higher %ages do not 'work faster'. Skin cycles monthly & pre-existing melanin rich skin has to exfoliate away naturally. It doesn't actually bleach. As the HQ affects developping skin by reducing the melanin apparent in it you will see lighter skin emerge over time. Be wary of vague claims like 'total fairness' (what the hell does that even mean?) or 'this really works' (vague). Please continue with your reading & share anything you learn too. Oh-& WELCOME!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi antithesis,

welcome on board!

ondine's advice is spot on. The only thing I would add to this, is to use a AHA cream/lotion on your knees and elbows.

The skin here is tougher. I used a glycolic acid lotion on these areas and my skin peeled in very little time. It helps keep a renewed soft look (lifting away the dead skin).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all! Your advice sounds very useful. I'll go with the 4% hydroquinone you recommended, Ondine, and I'd like to look further into AHA cream/lotion (never heard of it). Glycolic acid lotion sounds good, too.

Again, thank you all! You may have just saved me from ruining my skin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Ninasky, can you tell me what type of glycolic acid lotion you used and were you purchased? I need something like this for the thicker dark skin on my elbows.

·
Registered
395 Posts
DCL Revitalizing Glycolic Lotion (available in 10,15 & 20%) from ebay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts