Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just wanted to hear your views on makeup. I've been wearing it everyday for a very long time now and am starting to get a bit concerned about my skin. Without makeup I feel like my skin looks awful. On holidays I hated wearing no makeup during the day!! Can anyone also comment on the effects of over exfoliation. I seem to have a lot of slightly red marks on my skin that I feel could be due to this. Also! do you feel steaming is good for the skin? I've basically been trying things so that I don't have to wear makeup all the time and think I could be over doing it!!! Nothing is working and I genuinely look dreadful without makeup.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi welcome!

What type skin do you have, first of all? What products are you using?

I think it's good to give your skin some time off for good behavior! The better it looks the less makeup you need anyway, right?

Over-exfoliation is a terrible thing. We've all been there. Once a week with a microfiber cloth should be enough.

Steaming should be OK as long as it isn't too hot or too long.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.
I have normal to combination skin. The oily t-zone is where I get spots and my cheeks can be quite dry. I don't usually stick to the same products and for the moment I am using the elizabeth arden intervene range. I find it quite good. Before this it was clarins for a long time. I have a good skincare routine but I definitely think I'm over doing the exfoliation! I steamed my skin the other night and it was definitely too hot, you're right. I think I'll take your advice on board and give it a break. I think I'm developing an obsession with my skin here it's insane! Basically I come from a very large family and my mother has a lot of wrinkles, definitely due to years of caring for us all. Without sounding shallow, I want to avoid the same fate. Of course I don't intend on having 12 children but I'm trying to do all the right things for my skin because I'm sure genes have a huge part to play. Funnily enough my father hasn't one wrinkle!! Hope I don't sound shallow or insane here but I definitely have an unhealthy obsession!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Happy, let's just call it a healthy regard for our skin! We all share the same obsession here, believe me!
Just don't get over-obsessed with the exfoliation - you can get into a lot of trouble there.

The best thing you can do for your skin, hands-down, is to use a broad spectrum high SPF/PPD sunscreen EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE! Make it a habit.

If you spend the time and money caring for your skin up front, you don't need a lot of expensive cosmetics and makeup to cover up. I'm all for prevention and protection, then treatment and correction.

If you like the foundation you're using that's good, but the department store brands of skin care are caca. They aren't necessary and have a lot of fragrance and fillers and come in pretty jars but don't really do much! Don't waste your money.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wear makeup and have done for the past 5 years every day, and eye makeup for the past 12 years every day. I just branched into foundation, every day, in the 2 past years.

I have to say my skin seems fine. If anything though, I just patch it on rather then shovel it on, and make sure to cleanse and tone and moisturise my face twice daily. Sometimes three times- but thats because I go to the gym and shower there.
I also exfoliate three times a week with a microdermabrasion (Origins, Boots No.7 or whatever other freebie I can get my hands on!). My skin seems fine. Infact people complement me on my skin which I always think is an odd thing to be complimented on (being I spend 10 hours a week doing gym cardio the entire time, I'd personally rather have them say stuff about my figure!!).

I guess the reason I don't worry is that I live in a very busy polluted town. I travel on public transport daily and when I sneeze onto a tissue- its not pretty! you can imagine what my skin must end up like! so I know the importance of washing my face and putting back the moisture that I take away. I have had no problems- unless I skip toning in which case I get a build up or white patchy dry skin within a week. Same goes with exfoliation, less then three times a week makes a difference. I have not tried doing so every day though.

Maybe used to being clogged up anyway, so it being clogged with makeup rather then pollution isn't so bad and maybe thats why I have no problems. And infact I would bet on my foundation being cleaner then a car or bus exhaust!

Oh, and I also eat about 10 portions of fruit and veg a day, and I have to say of all my skin care routines, this is what does make the biggest difference to me. I was once away somewhere where it was a struggle to find as many fresh portions, and I got really manky skin after that. No amount of cleaning would stop the spots comming either. So above all, I would recommend a healthy diet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, go easy on the exfoliation, harsh grainey products can damage you skin and worsen thread veins. A mirofibre cloth is a gentle way to exfoliate once or twice a week, saves money too as it can be machine washed and used again and again with your favourite cleanser.I bought a brill one from the victoria health website a couple of months ago, go easy with it you do not have to scrub , a gentle touch is best. A tinted spf will protect your skin and give it a sheer wash of healthy colour for a no makeup look, my fav is philosophy shelter spf 30, as it is not at all greasy,you can always dab a little concealer over problem arears, as a tinted spf will not cover like a foundation, but will give you a more natural no make-up look , whilst protecting your skin from future sun damage.
Also can I suggest you try a mineral powder make-up, most have very natural ingredients, they sit on the surface of the skin and do not block pores, great for sensative or spot prone skin, and can be layered for arears that need more coverage. If you are stressed, have a poor diet, do not drink enough water or get enough sleep it will show in your skin, and no amount of expensive chemical laden face products will help. Go easy on yourself and your skin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would agree that mineral makeup is the way to go for a natural look. I love wearing it during the day. At night, when going out I tend to go a little more extravagant on the eyes.
I have to say I'm very grateful for the replies and they have been very helpful. A little makeup goes a long way and it is true, there's no need to trowel it on.
I was just interested in what you said about the microfibre cloth. Can you buy these in any chemist and do you use it with a cleanser?
I will take on board all the advice here and go easy on exfoliation. I think I'll give it a miss for a few weeks and then only do it twice a week at the most.
Jen, do you mind me asking what makeup you wear?
I also just bought a sunscreen with SPF40, I'm laughing here, I'm sure it is the best thing you can do for your skin by blocking out those uv rays, but is such a high SPF necessary? Of course I had to go as high as I could on that one, I'm obsessed after all!
Sorry for the endless questions.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I guess that the objective is to have healthy skin so that a minimum amount of makeup is necessary. I usually don't wear any - except for a tinted moisturizer if I need to look more "polished", but really don't like the idea of covering my skin/pores up with stuff. Adding some color with a blush and some eye makeup is okay to look more "interesting", but I'd just as soon skip that too and usually do. As far as lip gloss goes - they all seem to have SPF protection now, so it's hard not to skip that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it makes you feel any better...

I almost never wore make up because I assumed that it would make me break out. -Until my dermatologist told me I'll have that much more sun damage because of it. I don't know if it would be significantly more- but every little bit helps!

Good luck with your "obsession"! I don't think you'll feel shallow after you see how much there is to learn here. It's really interesting -good stuff to know (not about buying the most expensive, celebrity endorsed, product of the moment)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I was just interested in what you said about the microfibre cloth. Can you buy these in any chemist and do you use it with a cleanser?
Hi Happy
The best microfiber cloth I have found is this:

Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

I use it AFTER cleansing my face with cleanser. This is more of a POLISHING cloth for your skin to get the debris and scum off. Think of it like a chamois is for your car...

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi fawnie, Cheers for the info on microfibre cloth. Also, you know when you say retin-A cream, does that not have to be on prescription? I'm suffering from spots a lot over the past year, it sucks. Speaking of which I actually had an outbreak today, wahay! I'm meant to be going out in two nights. I've heard everything from puttin toothpaste on them to tea tree oil etc etc. I'm so shattered after work and study I just couldn't be bothered. Somebody invent a miracle lotion or potion QUICK and I'll give you a months wages!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - I used to wear make-up all the time too. Over the years, I went through periods of breakouts and hated it! Make-up was a quick solution, so I thought. After a while, I just didn't feel like going through the motions of applying the base, powder and whatever else I wore. Not to mention the by-the-hour maintenance to keep my face looking fresh. Soon after, I grew tired and became interested in trying to clear it up and not cover it up. Don't get me wrong, make-up is fun and if applied correctly, you look great! But like I said, things changed with me and I wanted to be more natural most days. One thing I can say, since I've stopped wearing make-up as often, I don't seem to have as many breakouts as before. Of course I'm getting older and hopefully finally getting past that stage, but I do believe that some of it has to do with not allowing my skin to simply breathe.

Now, I wear make-up when I want to, not because I feel like I have to. And, the times I do wear it, it's alot lighter than before. I try to achieve a more natural look by enhancing my skin tone with a little base just to even out certain areas, but no longer as a full-face cover-up. When I don't wear make-up, I make sure that I wear a good moisturizer that gives a natural glow, but not shiny. Moisturized skin, not made up, will help your natural appearance. Yes, your flaws will still show, but you can still look good with a good moisturizer, a little eye make-up and something nice on your lips. Enhancing those couple of areas really can help you have a made-up look, without make-up. Just make sure that your colors go well and blend with each other.

I understand that steam is good for the skin. I understand that steaming the face helps to open pores before applying medications or any other products. Also, cool/cold water helps to close the pores.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Kalandra, That is so true my dear! I hope someday I'll be able to do just the eyes and lips. I just remembred something that's after making me laugh. I once had a drunk guy tell me I'd look so much better if I didn't plaster myself in makeup! I think I told him he'd look better if he did.
Drunken F**l.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi fawnie, Cheers for the info on microfibre cloth. Also, you know when you say retin-A cream, does that not have to be on prescription? I'm suffering from spots a lot over the past year, it sucks. Speaking of which I actually had an outbreak today, wahay! I'm meant to be going out in two nights. I've heard everything from puttin toothpaste on them to tea tree oil etc etc. I'm so shattered after work and study I just couldn't be bothered. Somebody invent a miracle lotion or potion QUICK and I'll give you a months wages!!!
Happy
Yes Retin-A is prescription only.
A different product that works for a lot of ppl is Green Cream.

Advanced Skin Technology

It works for acne as well, but they are wrong to mislead ppl by stating "retinol is the gold standard". Retin-A is the gold standard, and they are not the same. But Green Cream still is a good product. There are some threads here about it if you are interested.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess it is best for your skin if you can keep it clean for the most of the time and apply heavy makeup as sparingly as possible. Your skin also needs to breathe.

Organic Cosmetics

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
As for foundation, I too do not like to gunk up my pores. Instead of concealer on days when I have some dark circles & liik more tired, I use a little around my eyes. Choose a shade that disappears into your face (no too light mask or fake orange 'tan'). Having tried several brands, I prefer the Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse (I use Med 4) to even many of the expensive brands (where you pay for a name). I like the way it lasts yet removes easily sans having to scrape or blast it off. Like Fawnie says, be gentle with exfoliating & respect your skin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I would agree that mineral makeup is the way to go for a natural look. I love wearing it during the day. At night, when going out I tend to go a little more extravagant on the eyes.
I have to say I'm very grateful for the replies and they have been very helpful. A little makeup goes a long way and it is true, there's no need to trowel it on.
I will take on board all the advice here and go easy on exfoliation. I think I'll give it a miss for a few weeks and then only do it twice a week at the most.
Jen, do you mind me asking what makeup you wear?
I also just bought a sunscreen with SPF40, I'm laughing here, I'm sure it is the best thing you can do for your skin by blocking out those uv rays, but is such a high SPF necessary? Of course I had to go as high as I could on that one, I'm obsessed after all!
Sorry for the endless questions.
Hi,

I use a mixture of stuff- at the moment, Maybelline on my face for foundation- its so mild that it seems to just even stuff out without even looking like I'm wearing anything!
I use the Pure Liquid Mineral stuff and am about to use the newer satin finish liquid moisturiser from the same brand (they are the only brand thats pale enough for my skin, even the Ivory is touch and go! thank goodness they have a porceline in the satin range that they don't in the mineral range!)
I wouldn't advise either product if your trying to cover something major as it is very light, but if its to even out skin tone, it works great!

I use also a concealer by benefit. Small purple pot, excellent size for fingers to fit! Also comes in paler then pale colour!
YSL is also excellent (Touch-EClait) but not so great at covering floors like bags under my eyes, what it does do is make things lighter or be picked up by the natural light- sort of like a highligher which is a dream to apply to skin.

I used to use a facial serum as a base but have worked out (after a month of use it finally clicked!) it was making my skin even drier! so can vouch for the maybelline going on well without really needing a make up base.

All of the above come off very easily with the cleansers I use first time around- when it comes to the toner, theres nothing left on my skin so its also a dream to remove! (its just the mascaras I have a problem removing!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
As for foundation, I too do not like to gunk up my pores. Instead of concealer on days when I have some dark circles & liik more tired, I use a little around my eyes. Choose a shade that disappears into your face (no too light mask or fake orange 'tan'). Having tried several brands, I prefer the Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse (I use Med 4) to even many of the expensive brands (where you pay for a name). I like the way it lasts yet removes easily sans having to scrape or blast it off. Like Fawnie says, be gentle with exfoliating & respect your skin.
Haha- just posted my post and read this above mine- good choice- I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about this stuff- it works great for me and I have the fussiest skin known to man- (I can't wear loads of stuff as my skin just throws it all back out at me :spots, patchy skin and greasy films if I use simple things like basic moisturisers Boots No.7 or L'oreal!) this stuff really bucks the trend!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i use a natural one, either Bare Escentuals or Delizioso Skincare, because makeup which is synthetic may look good when its on but when you take it off you actually look older then when you don't put it on. It also can sometimes cause cancer and other stuff since it absorbs really well, i got this from a magazine "an average woman eats 4 whole punds of lip stick in her life" EATS 4 WHOLE pounds, gross, and all the ingredients you EAT too, not using lip stick anymore after reading that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts