Skin Care Talk banner
101 - 120 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
yeap you guess it right it's lipstickalley
but yeah your explanation makes sense

btw what's your current shade can you use any pic of a celeb as an example?
so far with your results what are people saying like ur family and friends?

and I know you already mention strangers but what other reactions and differences do you see in strangers

I think people in the uk for the most part are sort of chilled about skin lightning maybe some will look sideways but most will mind their business

sorry for asking so many questions but it's rare to see someone with a similar goal to mine and similar starting shade
its reallyyy hard to pinpoint a shade to a celebrity as they look different in every pic but maybe Kerry Washington right now (I think my face is a shade or two lighter but my body is her skin tone) ? How about you? My dad said I looked like a white person (he's just being dramatic), my brother said I was significantly lighter and when I FaceTime him I often look very pale (usually when I don't have makeup on) , my mum is in awe and always says she doesn't recognise me anymore (she thinks it looks good though and is always asking what my regimen is) she's always stroking my face and saying soon I'll be white. No one has ever said it looks bad (cos it doesn't , it looks natural af).

Friends haven't said anything and I don't think they would, what can you really say without coming off accusatory tbh. One of my dark skin friends did comment that I was 'fairer' than him months ago and I used to think he was brownskin and that I was darker than him but now that I'm lighter he's looking really darkskin to me. I took a pic with him and I looked LightSkin next to him even though I'm nowhere near and to think this was the person I was calling brownskin.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
its reallyyy hard to pinpoint a shade to a celebrity as they look different in every pic but maybe Kerry Washington right now (I think my face is a shade or two lighter but my body is her skin tone) ? How about you? My dad said I looked like a white person (he's just being dramatic), my brother said I was significantly lighter and when I FaceTime him I often look very pale (usually when I don't have makeup on) , my mum is in awe and always says she doesn't recognise me anymore (she thinks it looks good though and is always asking what my regimen is) she's always stroking my face and saying soon I'll be white. No one has ever said it looks bad (cos it doesn't , it looks natural af).

Friends haven't said anything and I don't think they would, what can you really say without coming off accusatory tbh. One of my dark skin friends did comment that I was 'fairer' than him months ago and I used to think he was brownskin and that I was darker than him but now that I'm lighter he's looking really darkskin to me. I took a pic with him and I looked LightSkin next to him even though I'm nowhere near and to think this was the person I was calling brownskin.
View attachment 66992

View attachment 66991
View attachment 66990

mm interesting, wow you came along way :love:

I'm glad your friends and family aren't giving you a hard time, you aren't that far from reaching your goal how exciting

but actually know what you mean it's extremely hard to pinpoint my skin tone too

sometimes I feel like I'm super dark in some rooms, than outside I look brown, than in the shadow sort of dark, than in the sun super light, than on pics light
so right now it's hard to see where I stand seems like nothing is truly accurate ,

i think my current tone is a bit darker than this

so i still have a loong loong way to go , but I don't mind taking it slow

·
Registered
44 Posts
I even attempted to do a skin chart, using pre-existent pics from foundation shades, or milestones of mine but the scale I did still doesn't seem super accurate,😂

let's just say I used to be between Mali and Angola (4th and 5th shade)
and I'm now between Accra or Lagos

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Update: I think my body is almost matching my face , stomach is sooo light I’m in shock and it matches my hand . My mum also said it’s almost there in terms of my body matching . I’ve put lightening my face on pause because I didn’t wanna have a huge catch up for my body . I will wait until my body is 1.5/2 shades lighter then continue to lighten my face . I’d rather die than be like those aunties with a dark body and light face .

Caught up with a family friend who used to be several shades lighter than me I'd say he's a medium caramel with very yellow undertones (brownskin) and we took a picture together and he's not that much lighter than me: no more than 2 shades away but the contrast used to be very stark.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
mm interesting, wow you came along way :love:

I'm glad your friends and family aren't giving you a hard time, you aren't that far from reaching your goal how exciting

but actually know what you mean it's extremely hard to pinpoint my skin tone too

sometimes I feel like I'm super dark in some rooms, than outside I look brown, than in the shadow sort of dark, than in the sun super light, than on pics light
so right now it's hard to see where I stand seems like nothing is truly accurate ,

i think my current tone is a bit darker than this

so i still have a loong loong way to go , but I don't mind taking it slow
I’m interested to see if they will say anything when I get to Jodie’s colour because then I will be light skin which will be very difficult to ignore. I think the reason they’re not saying anything is (even though the change is obvious) I’m still in the brown skin category.

have your family/ friends said anything?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I tried on my cousins blonde wig (she’s lighter than me) and it didn’t look totally ridiculous. I still would never dye my hair that light but just goes to show the progress made . Also if anyone cares , I don’t really need to wear brown lipliner anymore

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m interested to see if they will say anything when I get to Jodie’s colour because then I will be light skin which will be very difficult to ignore. I think the reason they’re not saying anything is (even though the change is obvious) I’m still in the brown skin category.

have your family/ friends said anything?
yeah I think once you reach your ultimate skin tone goal it will be pretty hard for people not to realize
yeah specially going from dark skin to light skin

mm im curious to know what the reactions will be than
prepare to have some sort of jealousy and envy tho , its almost inevitable
but it's good your mom is supportive

people around me don't notice as much because I live in a white neighborhood, so yeah unless you go from lupita to mariah carey white people prob don't notice
haven't seen my family since the pandemic started
and my black friends also haven't see them in a while

my mom is another story

she notices everything about me even if I put 1 or 2 pounds, but she is also extremely critical, she never has anything nice to say about my appearance, when she comments on it is to say negative stuff or nip tick , she says that my ego is already massive (true 😂 )so there is no need for her to feed it more
anyways she noticed straight away and told me my skin is looking lighter and lighter, she told me one day I'll end up white
I act like I don't know what she is talking about

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried on my cousins blonde wig (she’s lighter than me) and it didn’t look totally ridiculous. I still would never dye my hair that light but just goes to show the progress made . Also if anyone cares , I don’t really need to wear brown lipliner anymore
oh that's so cool
that's one of the things I'm looking forward to , wearing diff make up, hair color, and what not

in general the lighter you are the more you can get away with certain fashion choices

are you going to change your looks in any way, once you reach you goal?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
oh that's so cool
that's one of the things I'm looking forward to , wearing diff make up, hair color, and what not

in general the lighter you are the more you can get away with certain fashion choices

are you going to change your looks in any way, once you reach you goal?
obviously I'm trying to be really thin but I don't wanna lose the little boobs I have haha, and also grow my hair out really long (I prefer wearing my hair straightened rather than wearing wig but my hair is on the thinner side and im waiting till it gets a little longer maybe by December) . Are you trying to look ambiguous or just light skinned? Also how are you planning to change your looks?

·
Registered
44 Posts
obviously I'm trying to be really thin but I don't wanna lose the little boobs I have haha, and also grow my hair out really long (I prefer wearing my hair straightened rather than wearing wig but my hair is on the thinner side and im waiting till it gets a little longer maybe by December) . Are you trying to look ambiguous or just light skinned? Also how are you planning to change your looks?
you are going to look like a snack :love:
maybe try msm, they say it helps a lot with hair growth plus another great benefit is that it lightens your skin specially the hardest areas to lighten , I also heard some people getting lighter eyes with it

that's a good question, idk
I just want to lighten my skin but I think one of the consequences of it will be looking ambiguous because i've been told many times my features look non-black , so I think the combo of my new skin along with my features will make me look more ambiguous

I would also like to change my clothes and styling and maybe try a diff hair color not blonde or anything crazy just something that is not black

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Update: Going to start taking MSM from today as I have a huge bag of the powder that I never finished. Might as well use up all my resources before buying new products.

edit: just looked in my cupboard and I have every skin lightening tablet you could imagine. I've got Vit C, NAC etc. Perks of having a mum who bleaches too

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
little think piece /rant - feel free to respond.

I was just thinking about all the things I'm looking forward to when I reach my goal and tbh I can't wait to have more attention , I already get it but boys lose all composure when they see a Light skin even if she's ugly (I'm attractive so I'll just get double) but who doesn't love more attention right? In all honesty, I have never been attracted to black men like that and I just know I am getting swarmed by them even more because they are colourstruck af. I'll see right through it.

Getting into clubs/ attracting public figures (I already have attracted a fair amount of rappers, footballers) but when you're lighter I can only imagine how much more it would be. Possibly bag a footballer for shits and giggles. In terms of getting into clubs, I've never been rejected but I hear so many stories of dark skin girls not getting let in and it would just be one less thing to worry about.

I'll still always get angry when I hear a colorist statement, I hate colorists and I would never be one of those light girls who laugh or are complicit I shut people down now and I'll continue to do so when I'm light and let them know I don't play that. Even when people say shit about black people's typically broad noses I'm quick to shut them down despite not necessarily having one.

Probably experiment with more (natural looking) hair colours and maybe brighter lipstick.

Sad, but true, won't feel like I have to compete with those who have the desired 'look' at this point in time (ambiguous). I already have fine features so I know if I lighten my skin I'll fit right in. Even white people say I have a white features. If I had prominent black features it wouldn't be a problem either I'm only mentioning it in reference to skin tone. Although I'm very pretty I don't wanna be boxed in as the pretty black girl. Tbh I never had a problem with my skin tone ever and no one has ever made me feel any kind of way. Didn't even know what colorism was until 3 years ago and I found out on the internet and disregarded it but the way the media keeps erasing black women and pushing ambiguity made me feel like I should dislike my skin tone despite never directly facing colorism.

Feel free to share your thoughts or add on.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I was just thinking about all the things I'm looking forward to when I reach my goal and tbh I can't wait to have more attention , I already get it but boys lose all composure when they see a Light skin even if she's ugly (I'm attractive so I'll just get double) but who doesn't love more attention right? In all honesty, I have never been attracted to black men like that and I just know I am getting swarmed by them even more because they are colourstruck af. I'll see right through it.

Getting into clubs/ attracting public figures (I already have attracted a fair amount of rappers, footballers) but when you're lighter I can only imagine how much more it would be. Possibly bag a footballer for shits and giggles. In terms of getting into clubs, I've never been rejected but I hear so many stories of dark skin girls not getting let in and it would just be one less thing to worry about.

I'll still always get angry when I hear a colorist statement, I hate colorists and I would never be one of those light girls who laugh or are complicit I shut people down now and I'll continue to do so when I'm light and let them know I don't play that. Even when people say shit about black people's typically broad noses I'm quick to shut them down despite not necessarily having one.

Probably experiment with more (natural looking) hair colours and maybe brighter lipstick.

Sad, but true, won't feel like I have to compete with those who have the desired 'look' at this point in time (ambiguous). I already have fine features so I know if I lighten my skin I'll fit right in. Even white people say I have a white features. If I had prominent black features it wouldn't be a problem either I'm only mentioning it in reference to skin tone. Although I'm very pretty I don't wanna be boxed in as the pretty black girl. Tbh I never had a problem with my skin tone ever and no one has ever made me feel any kind of way. Didn't even know what colorism was until 3 years ago and I found out on the internet and disregarded it but the way the media keeps erasing black women and pushing ambiguity made me feel like I should dislike my skin tone despite never directly facing colorism.

sorry for always getting in your business but I couldn't help myself while I was reading your rant I was like "omg are you me?!!!

I can relate to most of the stuff you say on a spiritual level, literally all of this could be written by me
and that's also one of the main reasons I want to lighten my skin
there is this very self-centered part of me that's like "if I already get this much attention imagine if my skin was lighter

I'm actually worst than you I was never attracted to black men at all, I never dated one but since they are always hitting on me I saw them as sort of the bottom of the dating pool
like I know no matter how shiity I look 9 out of 10 times a when a black guy sees me he will try to hit on me (I know this sounds extremely narcissistic but it's my experience)
And I'm not even saying this as a humble brag but more as how easy I saw black men, I saw them as the sort of guys that hit on everyone and have no standards, looking back maybe they were only like that to mostly white light skinned woman
anyways learning about colorism and how disgusting they are to other dark skinned women surprised me and infuriate me because I hate when men have the audacity or mistreat women for whatever reason

Although like you I was never a direct target I realized I could be
At the end of the day our "fine features" kind of shield us against worst attacks
but again like you I won't sit back and let them abuse other women

But there is also another aspect of it, this sounds incredibly counterproductive but the internet makes it seem like all dark skinned women are doomed to a life of failure and are always considered unattractive no matter what, this includes other dark skinned women who shut me down or tell me I'm lying when I say I get a lot of male attention and have no problem attracting men even in environments with only or mostly white/mixed women
so since they deep down imply and state that's its IMPOSSIBLE to be desired as a dark skinned women I'm like giving a middle finger to them "okay than I guess I'll just turn light so that my experiences can be believed and validated"

Don't get me wrong, think it's important that colorism is discussed so that we can solve the issue but some people are too extreme and make it seem like being dark skinned it's a curse or something to be pitted for and I hate it
I have a lot of pride and I don't want to be seen as a charity case or someone you should pity or feel sorry for, I also don't want people to look at me and just because of my skin tone assume "aww poor thing she must have gone through a lot " or just make a bunch of assumptions that aren't even true

so yeah that's also a very stupid problematic reason I'm lightning sometimes I feel I can relate more to the experience of being light skinned and I feel like people think being desired and dark skinned at the same time is an oxymoron

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
sorry for always getting in your business but I couldn't help myself while I was reading your rant I was like "omg are you me?!!!

I can relate to most of the stuff you say on a spiritual level, literally all of this could be written by me
and that's also one of the main reasons I want to lighten my skin
there is this very self-centered part of me that's like "if I already get this much attention imagine if my skin was lighter

I'm actually worst than you I was never attracted to black men at all, I never dated one but since they are always hitting on me I saw them as sort of the bottom of the dating pool
like I know no matter how shiity I look 9 out of 10 times a when a black guy sees me he will try to hit on me (I know this sounds extremely narcissistic but it's my experience)
And I'm not even saying this as a humble brag but more as how easy I saw black men, I saw them as the sort of guys that hit on everyone and have no standards, looking back maybe they were only like that to mostly white light skinned woman
anyways learning about colorism and how disgusting they are to other dark skinned women surprised me and infuriate me because I hate when men have the audacity or mistreat women for whatever reason

Although like you I was never a direct target I realized I could be
At the end of the day our "fine features" kind of shield us against worst attacks
but again like you I won't sit back and let them abuse other women

But there is also another aspect of it, this sounds incredibly counterproductive but the internet makes it seem like all dark skinned women are doomed to a life of failure and are always considered unattractive no matter what, this includes other dark skinned women who shut me down or tell me I'm lying when I say I get a lot of male attention and have no problem attracting men even in environments with only or mostly white/mixed women
so since they deep down imply and state that's its IMPOSSIBLE to be desired as a dark skinned women I'm like giving a middle finger to them "okay than I guess I'll just turn light so that my experiences can be believed and validated"

Don't get me wrong, think it's important that colorism is discussed so that we can solve the issue but some people are too extreme and make it seem like being dark skinned it's a curse or something to be pitted for and I hate it
I have a lot of pride and I don't want to be seen as a charity case or someone you should pity or feel sorry for, I also don't want people to look at me and just because of my skin tone assume "aww poor thing she must have gone through a lot " or just make a bunch of assumptions that aren't even true

so yeah that's also a very stupid problematic reason I'm lightning sometimes I feel I can relate more to the experience of being light skinned and I feel like people think being desired and dark skinned at the same time is an oxymoron
No I love when people respond! Ive been talking to mainly myself for ages in this thread so it's nice to have a chat. It makes me cringe when DS women publicly talk about how 'we' are undesirable. Colourism is obviously a huge problem but at the same time they can speak on their experiences but don't (publicly) try and imply that we are all unwanted and bottom of the barrel. Like you, I hate that 'woe is me' narrative that's forced upon us , especially as it is not accurate for my experience.

And same, I only really entertain them for an ego boost but I don't take them seriously at all. I know there are good woke black men but they are a dime a dozen in this generation. Even online when you see DS women vs a LS woman getting attacked they always jump to the defence of the LS and throw the dark one to the wolves.

100% fine features shield you from harsher treatment it goes colourism then features and at the end of the day it all stems from anti-blackness. 'Oh but you don't look n I thought you were x' 'are you sure ?'. I can't say the extent of the privilege because obviously I've had these features my entire life and don't know any different and majority of my friends are white but when I look online and see that I do not relate to many of the experiences of a DS woman I think that having finer features afforded me a lot of that protection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No I love when people respond! Ive been talking to mainly myself for ages in this thread so it's nice to have a chat. It makes me cringe when DS women publicly talk about how 'we' are undesirable. Colourism is obviously a huge problem but at the same time they can speak on their experiences but don't (publicly) try and imply that we are all unwanted and bottom of the barrel. Like you, I hate that 'woe is me' narrative that's forced upon us , especially as it is not accurate for my experience.

And same, I only really entertain them for an ego boost but I don't take them seriously at all. I know there are good woke black men but they are a dime a dozen in this generation. Even online when you see DS women vs a LS woman getting attacked they always jump to the defence of the LS and throw the dark one to the wolves.

100% fine features shield you from harsher treatment it goes colourism then features and at the end of the day it all stems from anti-blackness. 'Oh but you don't look n I thought you were x' 'are you sure ?'. I can't say the extent of the privilege because obviously I've had these features my entire life and don't know any different and majority of my friends are white but when I look online and see that I do not relate to many of the experiences of a DS woman I think that having finer features afforded me a lot of that protection.
yes that's why all my other dark skinned female friends are super confident and stuff
I once made the mistake of becoming friends with a "hoe is me " mentality girl and it was a drag she was miserable she was obsessed with color and skin tone and she always framed situations as in everyone attacking her or wanted to see her fail which more often than not it wasn't the case , I had to cut ties with her because her negative attitude was becoming infectious and she was bringing me down
since than I avoid mixing with those kind of people

it's not even about appearance, in my family I have a lot of women that are dark skinned and far from having "small features" but they are sooo soo confident even when they technically have no reason to be , you wouldn't caught them dead crying about black men not even in a million years , so seeing other women online do it makes me cringe

and yeah bm can be the worst I remember even them trying to shit on other black women to impress me or like implying I was different, they expected me to be flattered but I was outraged and sort of annoyed that they have this attitude of thinking they are the price
women are always the price that's the natural order of stuff

anyways yeah I think when you live with privilege all your life you can't really grasp it yourself
I only realized it was a privilege quiet recently tbh , seeing and reading other people experiences online
when like you I couldn't understand or relate to other dark skinned women being attacked, ignored or mistreated for the color of their skin, I realized I wasn't the rule but the exception and that I was lucky and living in a bubble

but it's kind of funny that even tho we have it good and easy we want more😅
more privilege, more attention

I don't know about you but it's part of my personality I'm sort of a all or nothing girl , I always have to be the best I can be in most stuff
I can't settle for anything less
its the same with our bodies (and I feel like you are the same for what I read about you wanting to loose weight ) I don't want to just have a nice body I want to have a great body I need to be the most attractive I can possibly be anything less feels like falling short
I read a quote perfectly explaining how I feel about all of this
"because Ok is not ok only excellent is ok"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Lit
yes that's why all my other dark skinned female friends are super confident and stuff
I once made the mistake of becoming friends with a "hoe is me " mentality girl and it was a drag she was miserable she was obsessed with color and skin tone and she always framed situations as in everyone attacking her or wanted to see her fail which more often than not it wasn't the case , I had to cut ties with her because her negative attitude was becoming infectious and she was bringing me down
since than I avoid mixing with those kind of people

it's not even about appearance, in my family I have a lot of women that are dark skinned and far from having "small features" but they are sooo soo confident even when they technically have no reason to be , you wouldn't caught them dead crying about black men not even in a million years , so seeing other women online do it makes me cringe

and yeah bm can be the worst I remember even them trying to shit on other black women to impress me or like implying I was different, they expected me to be flattered but I was outraged and sort of annoyed that they have this attitude of thinking they are the price
women are always the price that's the natural order of stuff

anyways yeah I think when you live with privilege all your life you can't really grasp it yourself
I only realized it was a privilege quiet recently tbh , seeing and reading other people experiences online
when like you I couldn't understand or relate to other dark skinned women being attacked, ignored or mistreated for the color of their skin, I realized I wasn't the rule but the exception and that I was lucky and living in a bubble

but it's kind of funny that even tho we have it good and easy we want more😅
more privilege, more attention

I don't know about you but it's part of my personality I'm sort of a all or nothing girl , I always have to be the best I can be in most stuff
I can't settle for anything less
its the same with our bodies (and I feel like you are the same for what I read about you wanting to loose weight ) I don't want to just have a nice body I want to have a great body I need to be the most attractive I can possibly be anything less feels like falling short
I read a quote perfectly explaining how I feel about all of this
"because Ok is not ok only excellent is ok"
That is me to a T! Give me all the privilege I'm greedy, I've got Eurocentric features so might as well go the full mile and lighten my skin. I'm slim so I might as well be model skinny. I also think that when I lose weight my jaw will be more defined so I'll have a more angular face which will add to my beauty. Only thing I worry about is when I reach my goal it won't be enough and I'll keep going until I morph into a white passing yellow bone. That would be scary as hell

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Update- now starting my 4th tub of skin light to carry me till mid July. I usually mix it with carolight oil but this time I also added a whole pump jar of whitening gel by skinpharm and a tiny bit of carrot glow serum I had left , its really expensive (whitening gel) and you have to buy it in bulk. I didn't use it for long enough or properly when I bought it last year nor did I exfoliate but maybe once added to the mix it will work better. All the new stuff I've added I've previously used on my face so it's not new to my body and it is safe with zero side effects.

So to simplify new mix is SL/CL oil/ skinpharm whitening gel/ Carrot glow serum starting from today.

Hopefully this will speed up my lightening as I have to take my HQ break mid august .

Whitening gel ingredients
35% Vit C
10% Alpha arbutin
10% hydroquinone (This is a lot considering SL has 4% and CL has 2% but I'll only use it for the month and I'm approaching my break and I've used it on my face and it barely did anything)

Carrot glow serum ingredients (barely any of this in the mix )
Carrot extracts
Glycerin
Mulberry
Arbutin
Vit E
Vit K

·
Registered
455 Posts

Hi.

Is skinlight cream going to be your main long term product?

Do you do weekly peels? I mix my lactic acid in body wash, use every other day. I'm at that stage where I look light skin indoor lightning, curtains open, shopping center, and outside, whereas browner in dim lightning.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hi.

Is skinlight cream going to be your main long term product?

Do you do weekly peels? I mix my lactic acid in body wash, use every other day. I'm at that stage where I look light skin indoor lightning, curtains open, shopping center, and outside, whereas browner in dim lightning.
Hey, I'm so jealous you're light outside! Whats your regimen and how long did it take you?
To answer your question, yes SL will be my main product and yes I do 50% LA peels weekly :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey, I'm so jealous you're light outside! Whats your regimen and how long did it take you?
To answer your question, yes SL will be my main product and yes I do 50% LA peels weekly :)
It took me few months because I tried different products and routines.

Mandelic serum, exfoliating gloves, Shea butter, multivitamins, grapeseed oil, Surewhite serum, are staples along other products.

Trying to look light skin in dim lightening as well.

101 - 120 of 203 Posts