Skin Care Talk banner

Skinlight- How long should I give it?

86K views 321 replies 20 participants last post by  disha_002 
#1 ·
Before anyone says look at the old skinlight threads, I have. Yet my question hasn't really been answered. Prior to skinlight I was using extreme glow (2x a day) and la lotion (at night) w Kojie San (2x a day) and sea salt baths and la peel for 3 months and I noticed no change in colour only softer skin. I heard lots of good things about skinlight so I bought two tubs and have been using it alongside la lotion and Kojie San with my KIT and sea salt baths and peels. It's been 18 days and half the jar is finished but I see little to no improvement yet. How long should it take or should I give it to see results?

I'm getting a lil frustrated and my face, chest, hands and feet are light (due to extreme glow and other stuff not from SL) but the rest of my body is still dark and summer is coming. I've got a deadline of June so three months to go. Is this normal? I know ppl may say I should give it a month but half the jar is finished so I would've thought I would be seeing something by now. I don't have any trouble exfoliating I peel and see skin come off but I never see any actual lightening. I can't get RA so don't suggest that pls. Btw I do wear sunscreen and keep my arms and legs covered at all times. Thanks

#4 ·
A tub of skin light lasts a month , I’ve started using skin light mix with ka cream and 2 ka serums , I use ga lotion 3 times a week , today is my 5 week of using it and only seen brightening . Skin light works slow .
what is you goal shade
Thanks for the reply. My legs and arms are probably like a gabby union shade (med/dark brown) and Im trying to get them to a pale caramel shade like below. Problem is I can't lighten everything else until my arms and legs lighten,

#23 ·
I thought I’d give update on my progress for people who are also thinking of using skin light or lurkers.
It’s been 4 weeks since i started . I saw slight peeling on my stomach. In a very small section there is a deep peel where the skin underneath is much lighter. However the rest of my stomach is slightly flaking (not much).

I mixed skinlight w lactic acid to use on the arms (not sure of the strength but I added 2 1/2 teaspoons, to the remaining jar as it was nearly finished) , I only started this on Wednesday night. I have yet to see an improvement.

I’ll probably update this in 2 weeks or if I see a change before then.

#25 ·
Okay, so I’ve decided to buy Caro light oil to mix with skinlight . As I don’t have another month to waste observing whether the cream works or not. A user on here aimingatzoe said she had stubborn skin (like mine) and it worked for her after , similarly to me, extreme glow didn’t work for her. I’ll update you guys!

#26 ·
lots of flaking on stomach in shower, scraped dead skin off with finger. However it doesn't look much lighter yet.

Using LA/Skinlight mix and top of arms are peeling to reveal lighter skin underneath.

Will update accordingly (Haven't done the CL oil/ Skinlight mix yet btw).

#27 · (Edited)
Upper outer arm looks a shade lighter, I tested by using my old foundation and swatching it on my arm. Last month although the foundation was too dark also, it blended in more on my arms. Today I can see a more stark contrast.

inner thighs flaking (not much but they’ve NEVER flaked before even when I did 60% peel)
I started the CL oil/ SL mix yesterday night

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
Did an LA peel (50%) on my arms, moisturised for 2 days with whipped evoo and Shea butter then used skin light mix. Had a sea salt bath and lighter patches on arm are much bigger. Still ways to go but I can see my permatan is beginning to lift. I’ve been off acids since last Friday to give my skin a break (other than that la peel on arms) soon I may occlude arms w la lotion and SL mix to really blast through my arms.

hope you guys find these Updates helpful

#34 · (Edited)
In case any of you were thinking of occluding w SL and LA lotion , it doesn’t work . I’ve been occluding for 1.5hrs (usually I would get peeling in the first 30 mins using EG and la lotion ) . I remember when I mixed SL with lactic acid and occluded for 3 hrs and that didn’t really do anything either. I suspect it might be the vaseline in the formula that inhibits fast action deep penetration but this is just a theory! I’m still occluding , I’ll give it another few hours but I’m doubtful.
UPDATE: after 3.5 hrs I removed and no dead skin came off my arm just feels very soft .

#39 · (Edited)
Update: put my arms next to my sisters and mine are lighter! Two weeks ago when I was comparing, mine were still darker (I think around the time I started this thread). Stomach lightening well too but still lighter patches I can tell that skin underneath top layer is much lighter . I just need it to budge so it can all be that colour.
Thighs and legs are lightening but hella slow they’re still dark .upper part of outside thigh peels frequently
Though.

My hands pretty much match my face , but I’m tryna lighten my knuckles. They’re not terrible but they are darker (they always have been) and when I get lighter I don’t want ppl to use that as ‘ammo’.

I never mention my butt /back Cos I use different products on those as the hyperpigmentation was extreme and like jet black (not anymore thank god)

#40 ·
In my bedroom I look dark (mainly white light with sloping walls and uneven lighting). But on my landing and right outside my room(yellow light) I look med brownskinned. downstairs with big windows/doors I look brownskinned.
My starting colour was dark skinned Gabriel union.

#42 · (Edited)
Haven’t had sea salt bath yet but this morning I scrubbed with KIT and more skin came off stomach however I think I may have scrubbed a bit too much (although I’m sure I was gentle as I know they can be abrasive ) the lighter patches are now red and sting a bit when touched. Fingers crossed I don’t get PIH Cos I had this on my hands where peeled skin went red and thankfully I didn’t get it , I just moisturised and it returned to its normal colour after a week.

also , put my arms next to my mums (she lightens too) and mine are lighter than hers too! Then she asked what I’m using as she’s been lightening for years. I’m very pleased with this as her face is light but her arms are a dark brown (she’s not that even; her legs and arms are darker but the rest of her body matches her face . She doesn’t know about exfoliation and sunscreen and acids). My brother said I was ‘significantly lighter’. And today I ran into a guy that shared the same skin tone as me and boyyy we are not the same shade anymore.

I’m nowhere near my goal (I think? Not sure tbh), maybe 4/5 shades lighter, but in June I will have to take a break from HQ. So idk how long it will take me. I am not trying to be a super pale yellowbone LOL As I think I’d scare myself. But a pale
Caramel and I think my features will suit it as they’re quite small. Even though I’m not done I just want to thank SCT as a few months ago I was making threads complaining about nothing working and taking ppls suggestions on board I seem to be making progress.
In fenty I used to be 420 I think I’m now 380? I want to go to makeup counter to double check. I think my goal is gonna be 340. Then when I get there I’ll see how I feel.

#46 ·
I never mention my butt /back Cos I use different products on those as the hyperpigmentation was extreme and like jet black (not anymore thank god)
Hi Dehum could you please tell us how you lightened your butt and back? These are big problem areas for me too. I managed to peel small patches of my butt cuff with RA layered with 5% hq (night) + Glycolic+HQ (10% Glycolic 2% hQ) (morning) but they only look slightly better

#48 ·
Hi, peels never used to help my butt and back literally not even when left for extended periods of time. I used RA 0.1 briefly and it helped slightly but what REALLY helped was carowhite (dream) used it in the morning after my shower with Kojie San soap (left on for 10) then in the evening have another KS shower and apply LA lotion (15%) then CW on top. This was the ONLY thing that helped
My back and bum to peel but you have to be consistent and now my back and butt continously
Peel and are a lot lighter.

Dream doesn’t contain steroids as I’ve been using it since Feb (now weaning myself off as it’s nearly finished) so if it contained steroids those targeted parts would be wayyyy lighter from
Using it twice a day for 3
Months (think Rihanna)but they’re just a med/dark brown. I had no bad side effects. It lightens a lot but it helped my back and butt to peel in large patches/ flakes when it would never ever peel before not even with 60% la peel. Use a KIT to aid the peeling!

#47 ·
Just thought I’d update u that I DON’T have PIH thank god. Today I went out with family members and I was fairer than all of them except one mixed race family member who is not even high yellow just caramel. Probably my goal colour as I can’t really go lighter than him otherwise it will raise a few eyebrows .

#52 ·
Occluded arms and legs last night again, legs were ineffective :( (as per usual). This morning I saw no peeling but I use KS then lightly scrubbed with kit and a huge patch of my skin peeled off it’s MUCH lighter enough (kinda red but it will go light brown in a few days) I’m happy but only problem it’s very uneven and looks vitiligo-ish. Like there’s still a whole section that hasn’t peeled. Tonight I will occlude again on unpeeled areas and fingers crossed that will do the trick as I don’t want mismatched cow arms

#53 ·
Ive decided im no longer going to occlude as I hate how patchy it makes me look as the peeling is ALWAYS uneven and it takes forever to even out (some places just don't ever peel). My hands look crazy and one of them has had a lighter patch for almost 2 weeks that Im worried it won't go to its normal colour (probably will tho). I'm only going to occlude once more to get the unpeeled patches to peel then im done cos this is toooo much. It looks very unsightly.

#57 ·
Occluded unpeeled parts for 7 hours, Ngl I don’t see much difference After showering and lightly scrubbing, not much flaking which worries me as I don’t want cow arms. However elbows PEELED RIGHT OFF. I literally scraped off darkness w my finger but elbows are sore and red. So moisturised with liquid paraffin cream and olive oil. I ran out of my Shea/EVOO mix and I cba to make more atm.

So glad I never attempted 80% LA peel on elbows like others have done as they would’ve burnt clearly my elbows aren’t that stubborn. My arm stings quite a bit, hopefully more peeling to come. As I said above this is my last time occluding, results are always patchy and it leaves me red and stinging :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.