Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
SLS and LS are potent degreasers. They strip any chemical color from your hair and some ppl think they contribute to hair loss.

Shampoo Causes Hair Loss -- The Effects of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).

That site recs Aubrey, which is found at health food stores. Pureology makes a nice line for colored hair. Many brands are hopping on the bandwagon now and offering SLS-free lines. L'Oreal has one.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
SLS and LS are potent degreasers. They strip any chemical color from your hair and some ppl think they contribute to hair loss.

Shampoo Causes Hair Loss -- The Effects of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).

That site recs Aubrey, which is found at health food stores. Pureology makes a nice line for colored hair. Many brands are hopping on the bandwagon now and offering SLS-free lines. L'Oreal has one.
OH, I see! So it is that nasty SLS and LS that strip color from our hair. I never knew that! I always tried to avoid them because they are not healthy for us, but now I know that they are EVIL too! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Every time I use a shampoo with SLS or cocoamide, my scalp gets itchy. I use Biovera (Vancouver) Aubrey, I thought Swiss was SLS or cocoamide free, but my scalp became itchy. I only buy almond shampoo from Vitaline.ca (Montreal) they have a shampoo for hair loss but contain SLS & other chemical, I used their Eucalytus seems to be chemical free but my scalp got itchy, never used the lavender one, seems chemical free. I've been to their office for scalp treatments few times and Rejean (the owner) really knows his stuffs, his treatments certainly calms down my scalps!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes, I agree - SLS really makes my scalp itch too!
My scalp got itchy again, I used a shampoo that I thought was SLS free. This week when I read the thread about emu oil was good for hair to grow, I decided to give a try. I put emu oil with few drops of lavender & rosemary essential oil on my scalp before going to bed, only one application and the itch has stopped almost immediately!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried Jason Apricot shine shampoo and conditioner at my mom's. I really liked it and think I will purchase.

Any philosophy fans? What about their amazing grace shampoo and conditioner. It's supposed to be SLS free.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, it seems more supple, but I can't say if it is the thing that has decreased the shedding. I cut back on the MSM supps, so that could be it too.

The thing I noticed about the SLS-free is that my scalp doesn't itch like crazy any more.
Pureology Nanoworks lathers well and gives a ton of shine and bounce.
John Masters Honey&Hibiscus is another SLS-free, but it just didn't lather very well and I didn't feel like my hair was clean enough after using it.
L'Oreal EverPure sucks IMO. It left a film on my hair and it felt unmanageable.
Those are the only SLS-free I've tried.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been using Baby DermaMed mild shampoo (74% organic) on my kids & recently tried it myself - it's lovely & it's cheap!!! I'm going to stock up - & throw out the dozen half used bottles of icky SLS laden crap from under my sink

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I tried Jason Apricot shine shampoo and conditioner at my mom's. I really liked it and think I will purchase.
I bought some of this shampoo yesterday, used it this morning, and really loved it. I didn't get the conditioner only because I have others I want to use up first, but will do so when the time comes.

I feels so good knowing that I don't have that evil SLS on my scalp!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I accidentally put Pureology Nanoworks conditioner on first instead of shampoo, so I added Nanoworks shampoo and lathered up well. I rinsed well and then didn't use any conditioner afterward. This works! It left my hair bouncier and softer than doing it the usual way! Been doing this all week and love it! Saves time too!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I accidentally put Pureology Nanoworks conditioner on first instead of shampoo, so I added Nanoworks shampoo and lathered up well. I rinsed well and then didn't use any conditioner afterward. This works! It left my hair bouncier and softer than doing it the usual way! Been doing this all week and love it! Saves time too!
Great idea Fawnie. Do you ever skip the shampoo and just use conditioner? I find that washing my hair everyday is often unnecessary - esp. in the winter, since I do not add styling products. But I need to freshen it up after sleeping on it and don't like just wetting it down before styling - it's not the same thing. So sometimes I just apply some conditioner and it seems to be enough. I think that it is also more gentle on my color (less washout). Iin the summer it's a different story and I do need to shampoo daily.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
mireckca, that's just what some of the "long hair ppl" do. They call it co-washing and it involves conditioner that doesn't contain any protein (builds up on hair) such as Suave Naturals. It also has a big following with ppl who have ethnic hair, but mine is too fine and this makes it flat.

What conditioner are you using that you get such great results??!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
mireckca, that's just what some of the "long hair ppl" do. They call it co-washing and it involves conditioner that doesn't contain any protein (builds up on hair) such as Suave Naturals. It also has a big following with ppl who have ethnic hair, but mine is too fine and this makes it flat. What conditioner are you using that you get such great results??!!!
I never heard of "co-washing" and who are these "long hair ppl"?

My hair is fine too but also rather short right now (chin length) so flatness is not much of a problem. Why does just using conditioner make your hair flat vs. using shampoo and conditioner? Do use hair products that need the shampoo in order to be removed from your hair? Right now I am not using any products and so the intent is just to freshen my hair after sleeping.

I cannot say that my results are great - just not any worse than using both shampoo and conditioner. My intent was to give my scalp a break (from hair loss) and my color too (from stripping). I was hoping that maybe using less shampoo might help, but honestly don't know if it has or not.

I really am not committed or thrilled with any of my hair products. Just this week I decided to go SLS free - which is a new thing for me. I am giving the Jason Apricot Shampoo and Conditioner a go - and it seems nice, so far anyway.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts