Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know this was my main concern when I registered a few days ago. I have scoured the internet for information and there is suprisingly little available but enough to share some conclusions. It seems to be a unanymous verdict by all professionals who have written on the subject that "crepe paper skin" is NOT aging alone or necessarly an aging issue. It seems to be an issue of moisture which as we know comes with age. For me this was great news, I have a relatively toned body and good muscle structure with sufficient tissue underneath the skin, so no loss of tissue in my case.

As a result of what I have read I have come to the frightening conclusion that overzealous exfoliation for the last 6-9 months is the cause of my skin issues at present. I started this thread as I want to share the dangers of overdoing exfoliation as well as the little knowledge I have been able to gain on this issue. I am now using all types of hydrants and no longer exfoliating at all! I will also be looking to try red palm oil but did want to share, as I read a review yesterday, that HTY (Hide The Years) is a bit of a fraud. The sites who reviewed it made some good points, see here: Does Red Palm Oil In HTY Gold Really Hide The Years? | The Beauty Brains

For this reason I am going to try the red palm oil BUT not HTY Gold! I want to keep everyone updated as I know I am not the only one who has this prematurely and I now know my regimen is partially to blame, so do think about your regimen if you see problems. I never thought exfoliation would damage my skin!

Any suggestions or experiences also very much appreciated!!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi

My understanding of crepe-paper skin is that the hydration, yes, and also the collagen/elastin of the skin is compromised.

Sun avoidance, retinoids, vit c serum, proper nutrition with adequate protein and good carbohydrate balance and fluids, and some supplements apparently can help.

For some reason, raw virgin coconut oil seems to work the best for me of all the oils I've tried. So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one particular oil worked best for you!

One thing I have discovered is that the BabyQ LED light (red, amber, infra-red) is eliminating the crepiness I had on my hands. (It stimulates collagen production, is what I understand.) Along with the other things I mentioned above. I've been using it on my hands, face, neck and chest but not my arms since it is pretty time consuming already. It works on those areas!

Let us know your progress in fighting crepe!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One thing I have discovered is that the BabyQ LED light (red, amber, infra-red) is eliminating the crepiness I had on my hands. (It stimulates collagen production, is what I understand.) Along with the other things I mentioned above. I've been using it on my hands, face, neck and chest but not my arms since it is pretty time consuming already. It works on those areas!
Fawnie - how often are you using the BQ now? Are you using it more often on your hands until you get the improvement that you are looking for?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
No, just once a week, along with my face/neck/chest treatment with it.
I do use the GREEN mode longer on my hands though, to help with arthritis.

How are you doing with your Baby?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fawnie--Coconut Oil is something I got into for health reasons years ago (in food) I have used it on the skin but find it really greasy. I started a Jojoba, Virgin Coconut oil massage oil which I just bought Saturday and it is not so greasy. I have to admit in just two days not using exfoliants I do see marked improvement already.

Please tell me more about your hand treatments? I have the same issue, my hands have actually been crepey since I was in my 20's and I really never knew why. I grew up in the sun a lot but I think it has more to do with having lived in bitter Nordic winters in my early 20's! They have improved some since I am back in the warm.

As for the collagen-elastin, yes that is the aging cause all the sites mentioned there being TWO causes and they were distinct, one was loss of subcutaneous fat and aging or damaged collagen and elastin the other was dry skin and loss of body fat. I am definitely in the latter category as I do a ton of yoga and am toned and have little body fat and also have been over-exfoliating as you know-and I am very ashamed to say!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Lexi
The BabyQ has its own thread here on the board, but here is a link to the manufacturer's website:

Quasar Light Therapy

If you shop around you can find a good price sometimes. Has a 5 year warrantee. I've used mine for 2 years and had it replaced after one year d/t a faulty timer switch. The LED diodes will last for 11 years of continuous use.
Highly recommend.

When I started using a hyaluronic acid serum before my treatments I noticed a big improvement.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fawnie you are a wealth of knowledge! What took me so long to find you all!? I just looked but I cannot tell how large the head is? How much area will it cover? I have rather small hands but would want to use it everywhere! I am going to see if I can find it on nextag or e-bay and definitely want the HA CP silk and Hyperpigmentation cream!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
No, just once a week, along with my face/neck/chest treatment with it.
I do use the GREEN mode longer on my hands though, to help with arthritis.

How are you doing with your Baby?
I am just using it once a week on my face, as directed, but lately have started to use it on my hands and neck as well. I am thinking that I could really use it more often on my hands/neck, you know, the every other day routine for 6 weeks that they recommend for the initial phase of use. And then eventually go to the once a week schedule along with the facial treatment.

I couldn't put my finger (ha-ha-ha) on the proper way to describe my hands - but now I can - they look like crepe-paper. They need some additional care, so I have started using the C serum and Retin-A on them as well. They are truly the most neglected part of my body - and also the most damaged.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi
HaHa! Another Baby User in the making!!

The head is 4 cm in diameter. It is small enough to follow the contours of the face and hands, but large enough to make treatments time-effective.

There is a larger Quasar SP model that is the size of a notebook that you just sit in front of and takes less time, but Mariepop here had one and didn't like it. You could PM her for details.

It takes me about 45 min to do a treatment. It's relaxing and if you are a TV watcher, you could do it then. I just listen to music.

You don't need to buy the (expensive) Silk HA serum they sell! Gardenofwisdom.com sells HA serums out the wazoo that are cheap and good!

Be careful buying a used one - you would lose the warrantee option if it isn't new enough. I don't know if QuasarPro sells reconditioned ones, but you could ask....

Hope this is any help to you.

Mireckca, are you doing any massage to your hands along with your face? I try to remember to pinch/twist/pull/tap them too, but forget. If I had the time to, I'd massage them all day long! It might make them plump up again!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fawnie--I actually prefer the smaller one because I have more crepiness between my fingers that I want to get to! I will check out gardenofwisdom.com too! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if I sound a little off base. I'm 52 and have been a sun goddess my whole life. I tan easily, but have some serious sun spots now. For the crepe paper skin, I like the combining St. Ives Collegen and Elastin formula with the new coconut body oil by Neutrigena. They're inexpensive enough to cover large areas (entire body). They keep my skin pretty hydrated for a lot less than expensive brands. Everytime I try a new body lotion, I always come back to Collegen & Elastin. (2 squirts:2drops oil.) If I'm wearing shorts and going out for the evening, I just apply to my legs again before I leave the house. How much does this BabyQ light run?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the baby-q for 354 dollars on e-bay and ordered it last night. May as well excercise my credit cards! Thanks for the tips on the Neutrogena. I will be going out to buy the St. Ives shortly! I am experimenting with all types of things now. I am mostly healing over-exfoliated skin and as a "tanorexic" was not sure if I was just aging before my time or if I was a victim of over-exfoliation, so far with the improvement I have seen in the last three days I think it is overexfoliation (luckily). The St. Ives has always been impressive with all their products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts