Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...reping it with style lol. I've never really been concerned with my skin till recently. I dont have sensitive skin, i've never had a problem with acne, only the occassional pimple here and there and it goes away fairly quick. I think i've been really oblivious to the changes in my skin tone till now, i've become significantly darker, especially in the face. Its a bit ignorant but i've always been under the mentality that "oh i'm black, i dont need sunscreen," but this summer just gave me a knock on the head that yeh i do. So first let me ask if anyone has any recommendations for a strong and decent priced sunscreen lotion.

Okay the next part is kinda weird for me to talk about, i feel so feminine talking about skin care lol. Anyway I've done alot of research on natural melanin inhibiting ingredients, chemicals, and all times brand lightening products. I was actually tempted to use makari, but i thought otherwise for various reasons. My goal is not such an extreme one, and i want to do it as safe as possible and also have it be lasting. The complexion of the inner part of my face is noticeably lighter than the outer, i want to first have an even tone. I believe Retin A with strong sunscreen can achieve this nicely, if i'm wrong please feel free to correct me, also i'm worried alot about the peeling aspect of it. What does that actually even mean, can i go out in public when this happens? Moving on, once i've even out my skin, i'm hoping the removing of the surface skin cells will reveal my normal lighter tone underneath. Currently i'm of a mid brown complexion, i'd like to stay there but just be on the lighter end of it, one or two shades lighter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hanyou, Retin-A 0.5% for you will undo the tan and the sun damage you have accumulated over the years. Go to your doctor for a prescription or you can buy the 0.5% gel formulation at alldaychemistdotcom. If you want a brighter complexion, then use hydroquinone 4% from the same site every other day, alternating with Retin-A and you should achieve the results in 6 to 8 weeks. Yes, the Retin-A will make you peel, but it wont be so bad if you take warm showers in the morning and rub off the loose peely skin with a towel then apply vitamin -E oil or jojoba oil lightly or even use a moisturizer.

As for sunscreen, I would recommend an SPF 30, no lower and no higher than that, used once in the morning before going out and then reapply later on in the afternoon. You are good to go, your goal is very achievable if taken these precautions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration revoked its previous approval of hydroquinone and proposed a ban on all over-the-counter preparations. The FDA stated that hydroquinone cannot be ruled out as a potential carcinogen!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts