Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what is wrong but any lightening I achieved seems to have diminished. All was going so very well up until about two weeks ago when I overwashed my face and must have given it a chemical burn or something because the next day it had darkened. I desperately need to know that this is temporary and my progress will return. I know it is possible for me because I saw it happening! Now every day I look for any sort of light patches and they just aren't there
. I am doing everything by the book, and hoping that my rewards will come. They just HAVE to. Do I need to up my RA strength to 0.1% do you think? I seem to be back to my horrible permatan colour and it just makes me want to hide from the world at the moment.

Word of warning: DON'T leave Likas soap on your face for too long, and DON'T overwash your face!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah Likas never did anything for me, just dried my face and body out and made blackheads appear :[

What might have happened was that the burn removed a full layer of the epidermis and is in the process of healing - which could be the reason for the darkness. It will heal, but these things take time. In the meantime you should take vitamin E and be sensitive with your skin while it heals. Adding any more irritation could make things worse

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks socialkittn. It's been more than two weeks now, and many layers of my skin have peeled off since then, though. Every day when a layer peels off I think that some lightness will show, but still nothing. It doesn't feel sore or irritated or anything. Just darker. I hate it so much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not just to uv light- once your melanocytes are activated- a lot of chemical and environmental stimuli can set them off- are you taking any aspirin or other NSAID's?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
me, ondine, and other members advised that you leave hte clerasil cleanser alone when u said u were washing ur face twice in the morning and twice at night, u know thats overkill for ur skin as u had retin-A on it all night, use a gentle cleanser like Purpose or Cetaphil ONCE in the morning and ONCE at night. Forget the likas, and dont rub in the microfiber cloth either, use it gentle, its all about going gentle with ur skin and keeping it hydrated with water from the inside and a moisturizer from the outside. You cannot aggravate ur skin and by aggravate I mean if its just a teensie bit more than gentle then it will react with hyperpigmentation.

btw since u had a burn on ur facial skin, whenever u have future burns, stop using eveything till it heals which takes a week at most, and use antibiotic cream, vaseline, or preparation H to help your skin heal and not use anything else, not even ur cleanser, use a saline wound wash to clean ur face when it is burned. You cannot use Retin-A and HQ after u had a burn for a week or until it heals.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Lajdnie, the darkness was there instantly. I did not go outside at all that day, so I don't think it's the rays.

MAdeLong, no, I'm not taking any of those things. What other things stimulate melanocytes? This is scary!

LightenNLift, thanks for your adivce. I DID stop the clearasil wash on your advice, after I posted that day, although that has NEVER burned me. I've used it for years and I actually find it soothing. I was using it when I was starting to lighten. It was just leaving the Likas on for too long. It started to sting, so I immediately washed it off and had this sandpaper feeling to my skin all of a sudden. I have been using still it but only leave it on for five seconds max with no problems at all.

My face only felt sore and irritated for a few minutes and then it was fine. I probably chose the wrong word when I said 'burn'. It wasn't that bad, just stinging for a few minutes, really. It is certainly not sore or irritated now. It felt fine by the next day, just darker.

What I just don't understand is how so many of you can give yourself peels which is MUCH more aggressive and not get the hyperpigmentation I got from such a mild irritation. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, now I have the same routine as before when I was having success, but just wash gently and very quickly with Likas soap and my skin feels healthy and happy, just darker. I'm not using a microfibre cloth, just very gently rolling the flakes off in a hot, steamy shower. I AM being VERY gentle with my skin, I promise!

I'm hoping that after 30 days (skin cycle??) it will be back to where it was. Part of me is really scared that the HQ has just stopped working for me. Surely this can't happen? Should I up the RA to 0.1%? Maybe I just have stubborn skin and need this strength.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
It might just be the Retin-A strength Kare, you can use the 0.05% cream if you have been using 0.1% gel, the strongest gel is not for everyone and the medium strength gets the job done and is gentler on the skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
625 Posts
yes, you must be extra careful and not mix too many products to apply on your skin. i've been using the diana stadler lightening black soap for about a month it's drying my skin crazy so i end up putting lots of moisturizer all the time, it's quite annoying imo. just that makes me not want to stress my skin even more.. btw LightenNLift or Ondine, why these soaps (Likas papaya, etc.. dry the skin so freaking much??)

karenannev, take it easy with your skin. you need to have a good feeling when you apply your products, if you feel irritated, or too dried, or else you should discontinue the usage. it's means you are stressing your skin and bad results will come, like what's happening to you. to have a bit darker skin tone for awhile it's not so bad. it could be a lot worse. i've seen worse results due to using bad and excessive bleaching creams, my own mom she turned green! so relax, you'll heal soon and take it easy with your skin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Remember that you can get "sun burn" from artifical lighting. So just because you stayed inside, does not mean that you haven't suffered some UV burn. That's how people can grow plants indoors, because there are UV rays with artifial lights. So I suggest wearing sunscreen at all times, even when in the house.. Your skin probably just needs a little break, good luck!

Remember it's better to be gentle and safe than to risk damaging your skin...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Karenannev; remember too that the past damage was done to the deeper layers of the skin. As you exfoliate, more of this will become visible only to, in turn, get exfoliated away. Please heed LNL's advice & be more gentle. You seem to have a tendency to be heavy handed in your zeal to see results. You can cause more damage this way. I am mercenary about watching my skin for the faintest sign that I'm overdoing it. This approach prevents me from takin 2 steps back for every step forwards. Please be gentle & results will come.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Remember that you can get "sun burn" from artifical lighting. So just because you stayed inside, does not mean that you haven't suffered some UV burn. That's how people can grow plants indoors, because there are UV rays with artifial lights. So I suggest wearing sunscreen at all times, even when in the house.. Your skin probably just needs a little break, good luck!

Actually- this is not correct- plants don't like uv light any more than humans- they absorb visible light- and indoor (incandescent) light has minimal uv in it

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Thank you madelong, I will second that, you should not wear sunblock when u are indoors at home and the sun is not shining directly at your skin, sunblock is made to be worn during the day and taken off when the sun goes down because it has chemicals in it thats not meant to be used for longer periods of time. Sunblock forms an invisible barrier against u and the sun only when it is in contact with its rays and the sun's rays are at specific wavelenth which causes you to burn, tan, discolor, etc. Indoor lighting does not come nowhere near the wavelength of the sun's rays that causes skin problems both intristic and extristic. You also gotta give the skin a break, take it off when the sun sets and use your nighly skin rejuvenating product.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Scarfree, but I know!! I was the one who brought this topic up a couple of months ago. I do wear sunscreen every single day after being 'sunburnt' from the flouro light over my sister's pool table. I even wear a hat inside at night after I apply my creams (my husband HATES this!). And evey shy away from daylight these days (morning daylight, not sunlight, through the ******* window, etc). I'll close the blinds when I'm making coffee, for example. I am SO paranoid of even daylight on my face these days. So thanks for bringing this up again as I don't think many people believe us

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It might just be the Retin-A strength Kare, you can use the 0.05% cream if you have been using 0.1% gel, the strongest gel is not for everyone and the medium strength gets the job done and is gentler on the skin.
LNL I do use 0.05% only. I'm trying to find reasonably priced 0.1% cream at the moment, because I'm thinking I may need to UP the strength. Maybe my skin is just stubborn or something. It just seems to be used to what I'm doing and nothing's happening.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Karenannev; remember too that the past damage was done to the deeper layers of the skin. As you exfoliate, more of this will become visible only to, in turn, get exfoliated away. Please heed LNL's advice & be more gentle. You seem to have a tendency to be heavy handed in your zeal to see results. You can cause more damage this way. I am mercenary about watching my skin for the faintest sign that I'm overdoing it. This approach prevents me from takin 2 steps back for every step forwards. Please be gentle & results will come.
Thanks Ondine. Do you think I've damaged the deeper layers by doing what I did? Oh I hope not! And I am being gentle, now, honestly!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
the short answer to that is ALL SOAPS in general dry out your skin somewhat. This is the reason why I dont use soaps to wash my face with, I use a facial cleanser with a pH of less than 4 to effectively clean my face without leaving residue and disturbing the acid mantle of my skin which is responsible for keeping it healthy and bacteria free. Soaps have a pH of more than 7, they are all basic not acidic which is bad for your acid mantle so therefore soaps are not ideal to clean your FACE with, you can use it on your body, as we all do. Also, it is IMPORTANT TO NOTE: likas, glutathione, kojic, etc. soaps and any cleanser that promises to lighten the skin or make it better is bogus b/c you only clean your face with them not leave it on ur skin and then apply your products. If its drying your skin then I suggest that you dont use it at all and go for a cleanser with a good pH like Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser or Paula's Choice or anything below a pH of 4. Cleansers are meant to only clean the skin that is all and it shouldnt dry it out either.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
LNL I do use 0.05% only. I'm trying to find reasonably priced 0.1% cream at the moment, because I'm thinking I may need to UP the strength. Maybe my skin is just stubborn or something. It just seems to be used to what I'm doing and nothing's happening.
Karenannev, this is the link to Retin A cream 0.1%, it is a LARGE 40 gram tube that will last you a year and it is priced at 40 dollar plus 5 dollar shipping worldwide, anywhere. Retin A 0.1% Cream 40 grams For Sale This was the best source of retin A CREAM 0.1% I could get. Hopefully adc can add the cream version sometime.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
625 Posts
the short answer to that is ALL SOAPS in general dry out your skin somewhat. This is the reason why I dont use soaps to wash my face with, I use a facial cleanser with a pH of less than 4 to effectively clean my face without leaving residue and disturbing the acid mantle of my skin which is responsible for keeping it healthy and bacteria free. Soaps have a pH of more than 7, they are all basic not acidic which is bad for your acid mantle so therefore soaps are not ideal to clean your FACE with, you can use it on your body, as we all do. Also, it is IMPORTANT TO NOTE: likas, glutathione, kojic, etc. soaps and any cleanser that promises to lighten the skin or make it better is bogus b/c you only clean your face with them not leave it on ur skin and then apply your products. If its drying your skin then I suggest that you dont use it at all and go for a cleanser with a good pH like Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser or Paula's Choice or anything below a pH of 4. Cleansers are meant to only clean the skin that is all and it shouldnt dry it out either.
Yes I understand, that's why I'm still using the AMBI Even&Clear Foaming Cleanser daily and the AMBI Exfoliating Wash once in awhile. they are pretty good and complimented the AMBI Fade cream I use on a daily basis. now i've been using the diana stadler black soap 3 times a week at night because it's drying my face too damn much.

But you know what? I noticed lightening or brightening of the skin of my body since I've been using diana stadler black soap and scrubing my body with that while I shower. When I was doing it with a regular soap or body wash it didn't do that. I've lightened 1 shade with that, I first started to use the diana stadler soap to get rid of dark mark between my legs due to being very overweight a few months back. (and by the way it's not funny being fat you can't see below you stomack so you can't scrub and/or wash it like you supposed too.. ). the marks are almost gone, and with black folks our behind are the darker area. without focusing on it, my behind too has lightened. So........??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts