Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i ordered HQ/RA and just started the regimen yesterday. but going through these threads are making making me mucho confused lol. i see ppl posting their pics and saying what they used and a few of them contain HQ/RA. now i hearing MSM, sulfur, pearl powder, DQ, peels. i sooooo confused. is it that HQ/RA cannot get the job done or is it slower. why are ppl using other things. i'm just really confused?

thanks for the replies in advance!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Look- as long as you can tolerate HQ (and you should test it on a small bit of skin first) from what I've read and seen, it is right now the 'gold standard'- especially in conjunction with RA.
It may be that other materials (such as dA) are better, safer, less irritating, etc. but that really remains to be seen- so I would recommend HQ/RA to start with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I concur.. you will be fine with RA and HQ. Just be careful with the strength of your retin A. I accidentally started with RA .1% and luckily I was using Epiduo on my face which contains a retinoid Adapalene, so it wasn't too much of a shock to my face... but other parts of my body weren't too happy with it..

·
Registered
524 Posts
i use those other things u mentioned because my asian skin objected strongly to 2, then 4% then even diluted 2% creams down to .5% hq... by darkening!

incidentally, hq is banned in most asian countries, and europe. if that doesn't tell u something....well.

hq or hq /ra is said to be the gold standard for a country (usa) where 85% of individuals are exclusively fitz skin types 1-2.

hydroquinone darkened my fitz skin type 4 to 5ish over the course of over a year of stubbornly wishful use. i must say during the first few weeks or month or so it looked great, but thereafter it was getting clear my skin was rebounding off even as low as hq 1%

besides, hq only keeps "working" if you either live out ur life in a nearly darkroom setting or your sunprotection nears 100% all the time that ur out and about.

i remember once when i applied hq 4% with retin-a all over my body, my urine was a dark ocre color for dayzzzz. ppl that use hq over 2% widespread but don't notice their urine is darkened considerably, prolly aren't paying enuf attention. the possibility of liver cell and/or kidney cell damage is very real.

there may be many other side effects of long term hq use for anything other than spot treatment. not just because of the other contaminants that may be in adulterated hq creams. if u look at all the "different" otc products under diff't labels with hq they're really just the same in so many wayz anywayz that its boggling and quite shady of the industry top playerz.

thats why hq is allowed otc by the fda only for small spot treatment areas. and soon maybe not even that. everyone is moving away from hq even the gov't which usually is in love with synthetic chemicals. that pretty much wraps up my take on hq.

sorry for the hq rant. but u asked why honey!

·
Registered
906 Posts
i use those other things u mentioned because my asian skin objected strongly to 2, then 4% then even diluted 2% creams down to .5% hq... by darkening!

incidentally, hq is banned in most asian countries, and europe. if that doesn't tell u something....well.

hq or hq /ra is said to be the gold standard for a country (usa) where 85% of individuals are exclusively fitz skin types 1-2.

hydroquinone darkened my fitz skin type 4 to 5ish over the course of over a year of stubbornly wishful use. i must say during the first few weeks or month or so it looked great, but thereafter it was getting clear my skin was rebounding off even as low as hq 1%

besides, hq only keeps "working" if you either live out ur life in a nearly darkroom setting or your sunprotection nears 100% all the time that ur out and about.

i remember once when i applied hq 4% with retin-a all over my body, my urine was a dark ocre color for dayzzzz. ppl that use hq over 2% widespread but don't notice their urine is darkened considerably, prolly aren't paying enuf attention. the possibility of liver cell and/or kidney cell damage is very real.

there may be many other side effects of long term hq use for anything other than spot treatment. not just because of the other contaminants that may be in adulterated hq creams. if u look at all the "different" otc products under diff't labels with hq they're really just the same in so many wayz anywayz that its boggling and quite shady of the industry top playerz.

thats why hq is allowed otc by the fda only for small spot treatment areas. and soon maybe not even that. everyone is moving away from hq even the gov't which usually is in love with synthetic chemicals. that pretty much wraps up my take on hq.

sorry for the hq rant. but u asked why honey!

Darking of urine could of been because you were dehydrated. When your dehydrated your urine is much darker then when your not. Or it could of been from what you said caused it who knows.......

·
Registered
524 Posts
nope it was not because i was dehydrated.... because i was not dehydrated.

but thats for that insight, it makes for a great topic question to ask about!

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
BEARYBERRY LEAVES, which have a high concentration of quinones - chemically similar to hydroquinone and is also known as arbutin which gets converted to HQ in the body, HAVE urinary antiseptic properties, "It is claimed to strengthen the heart muscle and urinary tract, return the womb to its normal size after childbirth, and prevents uteral infection. It is also claimed to be a powerful tonic for the sphincter muscle of the bladder so it helps with bladder control problems. It has a strong bacteriostatic action against Staphylococci and e. coli.[citation needed] The leaves have strong astringent properties."

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but this whole" HQ is not good on my skin and damaged my skin" doesn't happen to everybody right

·
Registered
53 Posts
but this whole" HQ is not good on my skin and damaged my skin" doesn't happen to everybody right
Guess not. Some people will receive positive results, whereas others won't. Are you trying to lighten your skin totally, or do you have some sort of hyperpigmention?

·
Registered
395 Posts
HQ is not for everyone, but if using it you have to be responsible. Yes, you are going to have to stay out of the sun/cover up/use alot of spf protection, stay well hydrated and combine the use with some soaps, arbutin (sometimes) and retina/glycolic.

Doing this yields faster results.

Other users have reported peeling, itching and high sensitivity to high concentrations (e.g me cos I have sensitive skin and I broke out when i went for 20% hq).

I have used hq and my results have been great - im still using (i sound like a junkie!) but i have slowed down.

This is a work in progress, but i can safely say its working so far and will keep you guys updated

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20% woahhh!!!!

how long have you been using and how shades lighter have you gotten?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
About peels (I've only done Glycolic & TCA so far)... I'm using them aprx. bi-weekly to help remove sun-damaged (aka 'permatanned' lol.. I love that expression..reminds me of permafrost) skin.

It assists the HQ and Sepiwhite (I'm using Fair and Flawless brand for now) that I'm also using daily.

If all goes well, I do plan to phase out my HQ use by February.

·
Registered
463 Posts
nope it was not because i was dehydrated.... because i was not dehydrated.

but thats for that insight, it makes for a great topic question to ask about!
Hydroquinone is very effective but, can be dangerous. For me I try to look for something natural even though it may take longer to lighten. It's just not worth it to have beautiful skin along with liver and/or kidney damage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts