Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do this, or is doing it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not done south beach, but I did do atkins for almost two years. Low carb is most definitely the quickest weight loss. Healthy? maybe, maybe not, but it does work fast. I guess it is a good one to do until you lose the weight and then you can switch to a maintenance diet of natural foods in moderation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did..I used it for a kickoff to exercise to get those first bit of pounds off. I had a friend and my sister that also did it.

It works, the first two weeks are tough, but after that it gets okay. It isn't a diet, it is an education on food really.

I lost 14 lbs those first two weeks, and with treadmill four days a week after that lost 40 over the course of a year.

Those 14-20 lbs they say in those first two weeks is that shock to the system of your metabolism kicking in. After that it is more like a pound per week and then less as you plateau..

You plateau when you are closer to your ideal weight. I went right down to what they doctor said I should be at which was a bit thin. I put back on about 10 of those pounds and feel great.

Again, it is more just knowing about foods...and how your body processes them, so don't go into it thinking, hey a fun diet that I will do for six months and then I'm out...

But they talk about that too. The book isn't a bad read and is probably on Amazon on something used or even at a thrift store or something pretty cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think part of what shocks the body is the toxins releasing every pound that you lose. That is why some people feel very sick when they are losing weight. Of course there is always the 'not getting enough vitamins' issue while dieting too.

I have not tried the South Beach diet however I did try the low carb thing and was very ill. I like the idea of a diet actually being a food learning experience. The "bodyforlife" has a great tool for learning about how to eat and a great challenge too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This diet works well (Atkins works better). All diets work the same way, they reduce the amount of calories you take in so that you're burning more than your body needs to maintain its current bodyweight. There really isn't any other key to losing weight than that.

Exercise helps you burn additional calories which in turn leads to faster weight loss. Excess carbs are stored very quickly by the body as fat, that is why low carb diets (SB, Atkins, etc) force your body to use the carbohydrates in its fat stores because you're not taking them in through diet.

The reason your body stores carbs (turned to glucose) is because they are the energy source for the nervous system. Over the million or so years of human evolution, humans have been subjected to the "feast and famine" conditions predominantly in savannah and monsoon type environments. Excess energy is stored on the body in fat in anticipation that there will be long periods where food won't be available. This isn't the case anymore for well developed societies but it's hard to undo a million years of cell programming.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone ever do this, or is doing it? Thoughts?
I did and it works. But expensive unless you make your own. I prefer the last phase where you add fruits and vegetables and you can try many varieties. The first phase is very difficult just like Atkins which I also tried but don't like to eat all meat for 2 weeks. Yes! I lose weight but I lacklustre due to lack of Vitamic C from vegetables and fruits. It is a like a pearl without shine and luster and will appear lifeless...

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
What are you allowed to eat on this diet? Just protein and nothing else? Are you allowed coffee or teas or the odd glass of wine??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts